• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Have You Put Yourself Through for Someone Else's Disc?

Worst for me, was standing on the edge of a bank, retriever in hand, trying to get just that little bit more reach and in I went. Luckily, I was only wet up to my knees, but I dislike playing wet and wet shoes/socks is really awful. I did get the disc though.

Poison Ivy story - not disc golf related in any way, shape, or form.

I have a brother who is highly allergic to poison ivy....he is one of the rare ones with his allergy. Going back in time a bit, he got a really bad outbreak of poison ivy....BUT...he had not been anywhere near anything even slightly resembling poison ivy. Parents take him to the doctor....tests are done....finds out he is so allergic that if the chemical is just in the air he can react to it. Parents do some checking....found out that someone on the next street over was burning some poison ivy plants.

I have reactions to poison ivy and poison ivy-like plants (English Ivy is one), but it has to be touched....then I have bad breakouts.

My brother went through a series of shots to desensitize him to poison ivy and he no longer reacts that bad. .

Poison Ivy story - not disc golf related in any way, shape, or form.

I have a brother who is highly allergic to poison ivy....he is one of the rare ones with his allergy. Going back in time a bit, he got a really bad outbreak of poison ivy....BUT...he had not been anywhere near anything even slightly resembling poison ivy. Parents take him to the doctor....tests are done....finds out he is so allergic that if the chemical is just in the air he can react to it. Parents do some checking....found out that someone on the next street over was burning some poison ivy plants.

I have reactions to poison ivy and poison ivy-like plants (English Ivy is one), but it has to be touched....then I have bad breakouts.

My brother went through a series of shots to desensitize him to poison ivy and he no longer reacts that bad. .

Burning poison ivy is never a good idea. I know someone who got poison ivy on their lungs from inhaling smoke from burning poison ivy

Sorry but that fits virtually all the criteria for a Darwin Award, minus death of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude make it through both gulf wars driving tanks and I've seen him do a bunch of really crazy things before he stopped drinking. He would be flattered if you told him he was getting a darwin award if it came with a cash prize. Good guy, a bit crazy.

Burning poison ivy is never a good idea. I know someone who got poison ivy on their lungs from inhaling smoke from burning poison ivy

I suspect most of the time, people doing so are simply " burning some crap they cleared out," without even realizing they've cleared out a bunch of poison ivy.

I saw a guy eat some poison ivy on the course to prove to the card that he was not allergic. Nothing happened that day but it sounds like he should probably not keep doing it.

I used to work with a guy who came from a family of loggers. He spent most of his life in the woods. He'd eat poison ivy leaves to prove he wasn't allergic. In the time I knew him, he never had a bad reaction. Some people are just immune to urushiol.

I have no data or study to support this, but I read somewhere that the more exposure people have to urushiol, the more likely they are to develop an allergic reaction to it, and that reactions tend to worsen the more you come on contact with it.

This definitely seems to be the case with me.

So even if PI doesn't mess someone up now, they'd still be wise to limit their contact with it, in order to maximize the # of years you have where it doesn't affect you.

That's my take.

this is totally true and the data and research are there. urushiol oil causes a type 4 immune response that worsens over time because your immune system thinks it's getting better at fighting an infection.

after getting poison oak/ivy probably over 100 times my first 5 years in the game, i've become pretty well-informed about it.

^^this really sucks. one time i had the oil on my fingers, rolled a cigarette and started smoking. friend comes out of the brush where i just was and said he saw PI. i got paranoid, threw away the smoke, and washed my hands (i always carry Technu extreme in the bag now). by the time the round was finished i started having labored breathing. i probably would've needed a cortisone shot if i had finished the whole cigarette.

Some people are just immune to urushiol.

apparently about 10-15% of the population. being in that group is one of my 3 wishes.

In the time I've been playing I've been up a tree, knee deep in mud, swimming, diving, in a ravine, inside a big log, in an animal den, in thorns brambles and briars. In a river, in a creek, in a lake and in the ocean. I've had ticks, fleas, chigger and mosquito bites and those things that get stuck all over you when you go in the tall grass. I've been stung by hornets and bees and a wasp. All looking for lost frisbees. If you play long enough, all the stuff is eventually going to happen to you.

Latest posts