• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What is a disc that everyone else loves but you just can’t make work for you?

Sry but I dont understand this "weird grip, clean release, thin rim etc. " thingy. I have thrown many many different discs and none of them felt so weird I couldn't play with them. Discs are so similar that they all feel more or less the same. I understand that people with small hands cant get a good grip with high speed drivers.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm definitely picky with hand feel. Deep dish putters are pretty unthrowable, IMO. Wizards especially. Too deep to get a clean release consistently.

Wide rim + deep-ish (I.e. Prodigy D's) drivers offer the same issues; tough to get a clean release consistently.

Any disc rimmed 22mm or wider. Just can't get them to go any further than my 11 speeds.
The Teebird - by the flight number I should like this disc. In practice it is no better than an OS midrange for me.
(note: I throw my distance drivers 350')

I'd say Valkyrie. The Valk is a tweener disc. Somewhat flippy and can be hard to control. I don't throw them. I think the Valk is somewhat dated and clunky compared to other discs of the same speed. I like something beefier in the speed 9 slot. The Thunderbird is vastly superior. I guess the Valk is simply a mold I can't get excited about.

I'd put the Viking in the same category. Like a Valk, but a hair beefier and noticeably glideless. Clunky to the max. I've never thrown a Viking I even somewhat liked.
I like the Valkyrie, have for a long time. That was my default answer for "first beginner driver" question. But now, the Valk has a lot of legitimate competition and some aren't as nose angle sensitive as the Valk is.
For me it's the FD. Too much glide for me and for my arm too much fade for the slot it would've taken in my bag.
Yeah, the FD when it first came out didn't wow me. I felt like I had thrown it before with the JLS.
The majority of Discraft midranges, Buzzz, Comet, Meteor, etc. the best one is the Nebula and they don't make it anymore.
iu

(I like the Buzzz and Comet. The Meteor and Wasp can suck it though).

Pure - just wasn't as stable or predictable - a lot of people love it, but the Atom is a better pure in my mind

Wizard - I tried it, still own 2 - but the hand feel isn't my favorite

Ion - similar with Wizard - the round inside rim is not cool with me - flight is good tho, but - eh

Dagger - I actually committed to the Dagger for a YEAR! I bought a stack of them - just could never say "I love this disc' so I switched - glad I dig

Rocs - I like rocs I guess, roc3 are ok, but I just don't love the feel and the fact there are a million variants of it

Leopard - I have had a few in my day, a fine disc but once I tried a patriot that's the kinda disc I was looking for out of the leopard.

Clash - it was just way too inconsistent and dumpy

Katana - not my fav hand feel and a little unpredictable - there are tons of runs and stabilities making it hard to find that perfect match.

World - super inconsistent - idk who really uses these anyways

I'm glad others said Comet before me. I can throw the Comet with a fan grip extremely straight, but I just can't come to grips with the feel of the rim. I have pretty normal sized hands, but the Comet just feels so small to me.

The more I throw my Mirage, the more I'm getting used to the smaller rim styles, so hopefully I can give the Comet another try, and have it work, but for now it sits on the shelf.

Destroyer, Wizard, and Leopard. Destroyer and Wiz are too deep, and Leo is too thin. I can't throw any of them consistently.

I'm pretty sure not liking Comets says more about the disc golfer than the actual disc...but that's just my opinion :popcorn:
Good disc but not as great as people hype them up to be. They are awesome in the woods but terrible in any sort of wind other than a tailwind. There are much better options out there today.