• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is next for Gateway?

There is a lot of babble here...

One of the things I remember from having a front row seat at the Daviar circus in the 90's is that he is a very divisive personality, the kind of guy who has fiercely loyal followers that would defend anything he did no matter how bad it was and others who hated his guts to the point that they would trash anything he was involved with no matter how great it was. It's always hard to get a straight answer involving things he has or hasn't done becasue of that.

Transparency comment: When I dealt with Davey Mac regularly, I really, really hated his guts for a variety of reasons. Now that I have a good 14 years of distance from him and a smidgen more maturity I'm more willing to treat him like a mixed bag; some good, some bad. I'd actually like to see him and GDS be successful so I have no reason to trash him. I also don't have any reason to blindly protect him.

As to fatty mcbutterpants and his course design, I've heard it's pretty decent. Nothing spectacular enough to make me drive to Cape Girardeau, but a pretty good course in a place that needed one after the Capaha Park debacle. I've heard nothing about it that would make me think it was such a bad course that GDS would need to make up excuses to avoid being involved with it.

Regarding Davey Mac's take on safety, this is nothing new. One of the usual trashes of his courses is long walks between holes. He does that on purpose; he wants the holes far apart for safety reasons. He told me that in '95 when I was walking around the original Sunset Hills course with him questioning why we seemed to be wandering all over Hell and back. For the most part, his courses generally have been safe. That stupid little course in Litchfield is the only really unsafe course I can remember him being involved in.

Last edited:
This guy from Gateway sounds like someone who is full of himself. Good intentions only go so far....I very well may be ditching all Gateway from my bag. I do not want to be associated with, or support, a company who claims to take the high ground but in doing so operates in questionable practices, my opinion.

This guy from Gateway sounds like someone who is full of himself. Good intentions only go so far....I very well may be ditching all Gateway from my bag. I do not want to be associated with, or support, a company who claims to take the high ground but in doing so operates in questionable practices, my opinion.

Personal choices, i for one don't care what he does. I think every company at times has questionable practices to some. Its all in the eye of the beholder. He makes the baskets and he can choose where he wants them as far as i care.

wizards for life

I don't see how someone that never heard what the price of baskets + design was going to be can be complaining about the price of baskets and design.

I don't see how someone that never heard what the price of baskets + design was going to be can be complaining about the price of baskets and design.

I went to public school so my reading comprehension might suck....but, isn't the issue that he wanted baskets and could only receive baskets AND design.

As a consumer, he was unable to purchase what he wanted to purchase, so he looked elsewhere.

No, the issue is that some $3000 quote sounded ridiculous to him, and he didn't want to share credit with Dave.

The $3,000 I was told we would need to pay for a non-existent designer, along with having to give them credit for having nothing to do with the design of the course, was not worth demeaning the works of the locals so they could pad their resume.

Last edited:
No, the issue is that some $3000 quote sounded ridiculous to him, and he didn't want to share credit with Dave.

You have to be toying with all of us....right? There is zero chance you can't grasp the situation as it has been explained.

I understand the situation. He didn't get quoted for the design fee and baskets, but thought the quote was too high.

The issue in this thread pertaining to this is that fatty shared his experience with Gateway. Then people replied with assumptions that fatty was mistaken or just plain wrong and perhaps has a grudge against Gateway. On the flip side, I would also say fatty reacted in a very defensive manner, which didn't likely help engender a positive discussion.

I would suggest that there's no good reason to refute fatty's recollection of events. I would also say that there's no reason for folks who've had positive experiences with Gateway and/or Dave to be surprised and maybe even doubt the validity of such claims.

Lastly, I think it'd be swell if people would just be nicer to each other, despite the relative anonymity which the internet lends. Happy Holidays!

The issue in this thread pertaining to this is that fatty shared his experience with Gateway. Then people replied with assumptions that fatty was mistaken or just plain wrong and perhaps has a grudge against Gateway. On the flip side, I would also say fatty reacted in a very defensive manner, which didn't likely help engender a positive discussion.

I would suggest that there's no good reason to refute fatty's recollection of events. I would also say that there's no reason for folks who've had positive experiences with Gateway and/or Dave to be surprised and maybe even doubt the validity of such claims.

Lastly, I think it'd be swell if people would just be nicer to each other, despite the relative anonymity which the internet lends. Happy Holidays!

This thread seemed to be asking about team members. We're currently on the thread derail from post 5.

I was being whimsical to begin with. Guess fatty didn't get the joke. So I stopped joking. He didn't find out what kind of deal he was getting, he shouldn't complain about the deal he didn't get. The design might have been basically free, and he might have gotten a sweet deal on the baskets.

This thread seemed to be asking about team members. We're currently on the thread derail from post 5.

I was being whimsical to begin with. Guess fatty didn't get the joke. So I stopped joking. He didn't find out what kind of deal he was getting, he shouldn't complain about the deal he didn't get. The design might have been basically free, and he might have gotten a sweet deal on the baskets.
Whatever. Have a Merry Christmas!

Gateway will contract their factory, so that everyone can stop cloning the Wizard and put a real one in their lineup.

"Innova BB Aviar, molded by Gateway"

"DC Focus, molded by Gateway"

"Trilogy failed to clone the Wizard, so here's a Wizard by Gateway"

I would suggest that I have no real reason to believe what anyone says on the internet. Especially when this person had under 10 posts here, and this happened years ago, and this is the first time we've heard about it. Why not post up your own thread?

Just because someone tells me their experience, doesn't mean I have to believe it, or disbelieve it. I find it very hard to believe that Dave would outright say "pay me $3k". I find it also very interesting that the person, who is telling the story, didn't ask about the actual costs of the baskets as well. If Dave would've offered them for free, would there still be a problem with the 3k? If so, then that's a personal problem, and you could also (like he did) move on to another company.

But hey, let's just wait 3-5 years for a threat about speculating what's next for Gateway, and then decide to share our story with the world.

For the record, I've had nothing personal against Gateway, they're very easy to work with and have excellent prices. Dave can be a bit chippery, but oh well, who cares, life goes on.

I think they need to ditch the mixed bag idea (maybe allow cross promotion/sponsorship with Reptilian and Fly High since they work together), when that idea was developed Gateway didn't have much of a line up except for putters and really overstable discs (the older premium plastic tended to vary in terms of dome and flight so the discs they needed for crossover appeal like the Element and Illusion never took off like they should), though in the last 3-5 years they have added the Karma, Mystic, Shaman, Chief, Slayer, Samurai, Assassin, Rage (there was virtually no advertisement or notice of these last two discs) and the newer G series putters, HPP, and Evo Platinum discs have really stepped up the quality and selection, I would find some players who are interested in long term growth and genuinely believe in these products because now they have a line up to match any of the major companies. Also with disc golf getting bigger in other countries, I would see about at least getting putters to Canada, Europe, S. Africa, and Japan if not the whole lineup , given their competitive pricing if I had to pay high mark up because of overseas shipping I would rather have sure grip than DX or Pro D if they are going to be roughly the same price.

Actually, I heard he's leaving Prodigy at the end of the year.

:popcorn:

Like I mentioned in another thread, I really hope Nikko turns it around. If you're gonna go the whole "grow the sport" route, he could really be one of the catalysts in that growth.

Well, what's new is what's old. Nikko back with Gateway - retro is the new, new.

Yeah. But Little Wizard is here. And Big Dog (fastback) is right around the corner. Isn't that more important?