• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the Longest Drive recorded ON FLAT GROUND???

UK DG

I just started this sport last week and have been watching a lot of clips, some on you tube of people throwing of cliffs and everything and it intrigued me to wonder what the actual record for a throw on flat ground or minimal elevation was.

If anyone knows please post. I searched the internet a little but didn't find a solid answer. I did see a 726 ft ace which is ridiculously awesome but it was extreme elevation.

That 820' is in ideal conditions - about 25 mph tailwind and also an ideal elevation. No one can really throw that far without help from the wind. The indoor record is 470' by Dan Berman on 12/10/05.

interesting, never thought they did an indoor record, i remember reading bout folks wanting to use an airport hanger, just never seen any numbers for such an event

Seriously, on flat ground one time, I threw 900'............................................................................................................'

Here is the list of all 180m+ throws (a little over 590') from all the years of Big D in the Desert where the world records are usually set.

The cool thing here is to be able to look at every single throw over 180m and see the names that stay at the top of the list and what discs they used. Chris Max Voight has thrown discs over 700' in four different years ('01, '02, '03, '06), more years than anyone else. The other top throwers who are repeatedly near the top are Christian Sandstrom (current record holder at 820'), brothers Ken and Marc Jarvis, Erin Hemmings, and not far behind them are Avery Jenkins and Jack Cooksey...

Another person bearing mention is David Wiggins... he's been setting records for whatever age group he was in since he was less than 10 years old. So we don't really know what his potential will be as he continues to grow and develop his game. But he did get off one incredible throw at last year's event (734') to put him 10th for all time, but that's more than a 100' farther than his second best throw of all time, which helps highlight how variable big throws are.

The best distance throwers in the world can throw a bunch of shots 600' with perfect conditions and then hit the shot of their lives on a perfect line under perfect conditions and get an extra 100-200' of distance on the disc.

And what you have to understand about big distance shots is that they use totally different lines than you would use on a disc golf course and they have to get a lot of help from the wind.

The other thing to remember is that the Big D in the desert event is not heavily attended, so there are a lot of top distance driving pros who've never been out to the event.

In my opinion, a better way to judge more real-world big distance is to look at something like the distance driving contests at the USDGC. There, a lot of the top players huck their plastic as far as they can, and the conditions are much more real-world than in the desert. Garret Gurthie has won the distance contest at USDGC three times, and I think his farthest throw has been around 585', less than the 180m needed to even make it on the list at Big D in the Desert...

Bill Brasky once threw a disc some 30 miles. I believe it was with an old, beat in Groove. Unless I am mistaken, it was a thumber.

TO BILL BRASKY!
*clink*

Another person bearing mention is David Wiggins... he's been setting records for whatever age group he was in since he was less than 10 years old. So we don't really know what his potential will be as he continues to grow and develop his game. But he did get off one incredible throw at last year's event (734') to put him 10th for all time, but that's more than a 100' farther than his second best throw of all time, which helps highlight how variable big throws are.

The kid is ridiculous, apparently he recently threw another just over 700' at the distance competition in Bowling Green.

The kid is ridiculous, apparently he recently threw another just over 700' at the distance competition in Bowling Green.

He threw 703 at the distance competition at bowling green with a new pro boss. He threw the thing like it was a 130 r-pro boss. The area they were throwing on was mostly flat and at most a very slight downgrade. The kid is gonna be straight unreal in a couple of years

It already sounds like he's pretty straight unreal. I'd like to see a video of that throw.

That's funny, according to that list no one has out-thrown a DX Teebird with a Boss or Katana. :p

It's all about the wind. Disc choice makes a difference but wind is the biggest factor by far.

i seen on a golf chart at dicks sporting goods (one of the innova chart) that the current record is 906'

The link above is currently broken from my perspective, but other sites still have Christian Sandstrom as the record holder.

Latest posts