• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] What makes for a sexy wizard?

For Putting? Something tacky and grippy over 170 grams. I like a blend that feels like it will grab a single chain link and go straight in the bucket. Usually Super Softs, Special Blends, or (my all-time favorite) Erasers with just a bit of flex in the flight plate are my favorite putters.

For Throwing? I like a more firm Wizard around 170 grams with some glide and stability. I've experimented recently with some lightweight stuff and have fun throwing 150-class Wizards. My new favorite is the Diamond Blend which I have decided is completely indestructible. I also like to have a Scale in the bag. I can appreciate the extra stability for hyzers, short flex shots, forehand approaches, and fighting the wind.

For Collecting? I have a decent Wizard stash and my favorites are white with rainbow stamps. I own several band stamps and like some of the movie references you can find on Gateway's stuff. Reptilian Disc Golf has designed some really neat artwork as well.

Not quite rainbow but this is my favorite.

Attachments

• 20200513_193013.jpg
    20200513_193013.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 41
First generation Nikko rainbow stamp.
Second generation Nikko double stamp.

Attachments

• 158947931222321104035732913562.jpg
    158947931222321104035732913562.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 39
Stiff. White. Medium shoulder and flat top.

Rainbow STICKIN' PUTTS stamp.

😂

Apparently they are 100% Illegal in PDGA play now.

There was a medium my dad has one that was almost as stiff but just at PDGA legal still as that plastic became a variant of S firmness's then went to firm and became a tad stiffer then most common S plastic basically old Medium again.

🤣

I'm all about the stiff wizards. Definitely have to shelve them for the winter in favor of pure whites or mediums, I've definitely had a few G9i's explode after a tree hit in the cold.

I've been liking the non white pure whites in the backyard putting sessions recently. I found a box of red and blue pure whites with the small G stamp out towards the rim and they're seasoning up nicely. Some of the swirls are really nice in those.

attachment.php

/end thread

Attachments

• 20200514_221458.jpg
    20200514_221458.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 76
🤣

I'm all about the stiff wizards. Definitely have to shelve them for the winter in favor of pure whites or mediums, I've definitely had a few G9i's explode after a tree hit in the cold.

I've been liking the non white pure whites in the backyard putting sessions recently. I found a box of red and blue pure whites with the small G stamp out towards the rim and they're seasoning up nicely. Some of the swirls are really nice in those.

I absolutely dig the off center small stamps. Especially the RDG eye.

🤣

I did see an old non Champion/Z Quest At 10 Meter Brick shatter, the guy used the mold as an approach putter, he was struggling to find an approach putter before settling on the the most OS disc I have seen, some disc out in 2006 a company made that just dumped too quick the left and would miss the basket every time even on a hard approach shot but would end up nearer to the basket on the left side. Then the next closest disc I have seen did a split and was an old D Cyclone in the Stiff D/Pro D plastic after hitting a tree off to my left in early-mid 2005. Right in half was the old D/Pro D Cyclone and the disc was only a few years old from 2001 or so, temps were in the 40-45 F range so not bad enough that other Stiff Pro D was a problem like my brothers now my Pro D Magnet.

I did see an old non Champion/Z Quest At 10 Meter Brick shatter, the guy used the mold as an approach putter, he was struggling to find an approach putter before settling on the the most OS disc I have seen, some disc out in 2006 a company made that just dumped too quick the left and would miss the basket every time even on a hard approach shot but would end up nearer to the basket on the left side. Then the next closest disc I have seen did a split and was an old D Cyclone in the Stiff D/Pro D plastic after hitting a tree off to my left in early-mid 2005. Right in half was the old D/Pro D Cyclone and the disc was only a few years old from 2001 or so, temps were in the 40-45 F range so not bad enough that other Stiff Pro D was a problem like my brothers now my Pro D Magnet.

So that's what makes a sexy Wizard?

what would be the closest wizard to a rubber D Steady? Contemplating eraser wizards just because they are actually easier to find. I hate getting cornered into boutique discs that I can acquire when I want

what would be the closest wizard to a rubber D Steady? Contemplating eraser wizards just because they are actually easier to find. I hate getting cornered into boutique discs that I can acquire when I want

This happened to me when i tried to switch to dga from the wizard. The steady is a good mold but the D line plastic sucks and the rest of the plastics are limited.

Its tricky to find the right wizard. I would suggest getting x-outs to try when you buy some. Find out what works for you best before you spend on a stack.
I havent felt the rubber D blend but i assume its a tad gummy. The Nikko Wizard without the ring of chains are rubbery but not floppy. Stock wiz , maybe a SSS (they are not as "soft" as the name suggests)

Last edited:
I would imagine you could still do it, but back in the day you could pretty much call up the Gateway shop, say I want a box of 5 or 10 wizards or whatever, give them a description of what kind of feel you like...firmer, softer, smooth texture, chalky, gritty, or whatever and they'd go pull stuff off of the racks and send them to you.

Gotta figure, those dudes are gonna as familiar as anybody else when it comes to fondling wizards. And in my experience always enjoy nerding out about plastics too. I'm lucky enough that I'm local, so every so often if i need some fresh wizards I'll just go direct to the source and feel a bunch up.

Its tricky to find the right wizard. I would suggest getting x-outs to try when you buy some. Find out what works for you best before you spend on a stack.

Yeah I used wizards many years ago, back then I liked the 'medium' ones (brick hard) These days I prefer a much softer putter than that

The rubber D Steady is about the same softness as D but has a lot more surface tackyness. I'll just go check them out in a store and figure out what I like best.

Gotta figure, those dudes are gonna as familiar as anybody else when it comes to fondling wizards. And in my experience always enjoy nerding out about plastics too. I'm lucky enough that I'm local, so every so often if i need some fresh wizards I'll just go direct to the source and feel a bunch up.

I've thought about that too. I used to live in Columbia so when I went through STL always stopped at the shop and picked up a few discs back when I was still throwing gateway putters.

I would imagine you could still do it, but back in the day you could pretty much call up the Gateway shop, say I want a box of 5 or 10 wizards or whatever, give them a description of what kind of feel you like...firmer, softer, smooth texture, chalky, gritty, or whatever and they'd go pull stuff off of the racks and send them to you.

Yeah I used wizards many years ago, back then I liked the 'medium' ones (brick hard) These days I prefer a much softer putter than that

The rubber D Steady is about the same softness as D but has a lot more surface tackyness. I'll just go check them out in a store and figure out what I like best.

I've thought about that too. I used to live in Columbia so when I went through STL always stopped at the shop and picked up a few discs back when I was still throwing gateway putters.

And I think they offered to find matching discs in feel to one you have if you send it to them.

So that's what makes a sexy Wizard?

Nah what makes for a coveted Wizard is one that is Medium, S, or Firm but has the old top to the mold or the PWP. Something stiffer that is old top or like old top to the mold. that makes to me a good mold, also for putting can't be the lower G9i rim height, has to be the standard rim height. otherwise for driving putter the lower top height is better but I can use the normal. As long as the Wizard is not the high rim height for driving I can use it and for putting the normal to high height works best.

Glide for putting is why the normal or higher rim and faster disc is to the lower to normal rim height.

Last edited:
I ended up getting 5 SS wizards. They really aren't nearly as soft as that level used to be. Played super consisted in Jyly tonight with them too. Nearly no transition needed from Steadys, and they are locally available which is a plus. And the baseline easy to find plastic is hard to beat.

Latest posts