• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What scores are still considered beginner?

Radarx

Bogey Member
I have been playing a lot for about 4 months on a moderately difficult course (Rockburn in Maryland). At least I consider this course that way compared to others.

I started out with my share of 5 & 6 shots per hole and wondered if I would ever get a par. Now I am at the point where I average about 6 over par on that course. I have shot even par once on the front 9 of that course.

Question is because I have no clue on this: What scores are still considered as a beginner? Intermediate? open? & Pro?

I can be real tough depending on where the baskets are located. They seem to move often and my average score (+6) is based on most of the baskets located in the first or second pin position with third being most difficult.

I played other courses, (calvert road park in MD for example), short course which were not nearly as difficult and have got +3 to even on that course.

I would think Tee positions would come into play as well right?

Yeah, tee, basket, the whole nine. It is tough when you have a course like that.

At my home course my score ranges from 54-58 depending on basket positions. From the longs I am 62-69 so a total scoring spread of 54-69 and I am still very much a beginner.

The best idea you can get is if you know the name of a sanctioned tournament there, go to PDGA website and look up results. You can't be sure they played the same layout, but it will give you an idea.

Beyond that, it's impossible for someone to answer without knowing the course, and how par was set. Of the two courses I played the most, I average -15 on one, about +10 on the other, based on what they call "par".

(See other threads on "par" if you have a lot of time to kill).

If you go here you can input your course and find all the official PDGA events/rounds that were played there:
http://www.pdga.com/course-ratings-by-course

Then you can look at the scores different people scored. And you can see the Scratch Scoring Average (SSA) - a score that a "scratch" player (1000 rated) would be expected to shoot. One problem is when it is a course with multiple setups, you may not be able to figure out the setup used at the event/round in question.

I just looked at your course and the TD's were smart on some rounds to enter the set up like this so you would always know the baskets used:
Rockburn Branch cbabbcbaacbccbccbc R1 (2005 Rockburn Challenge)

I was looking at those results & scores and noticed a "Recreational class" What is this? is it a group of players playing in the tournament but not keeping scores for ratings, just playing for the fun of it?

The "Recreational" division is for newcomers to the game (at least the competitive game) who want to try their hand at tournament play. They typically pay less entry fees (but do in many cases need to buy a temporary membership on top of their entry fee - a $10 non-member fee to play). They play by the same rules on the same course - though sometimes from shorter tees than the top divisions.

If you are not a PDGA member you do not get ratings calculated for you. It looks like something new the PDGA has instituted by not even putting round ratings by your score - strange!

If you are not a PDGA member you do not get ratings calculated for you. It looks like something new the PDGA has instituted by not even putting round ratings by your score - strange!

I noticed this before I joined. I simply looked at my scores that PDGA members had thrown and figured it out.

Being PDGA is better.

60 in the current layout at the Rock is about 900 rated, you would be good for the intermediate division.

Rockburn is a tough course, This is simply my OPINION

Beginner: Over 80
lower Recreational: 75-80
upper recreational: 70-75
lower Intermediate: 65-70
upper intermediate: 60-65 (this is where you will start winning small prizes in intermediate tourneys)
Advanced: below 60

It was 18 degrees and there was 3" of snow on the ground! C'mon now!

Sorry...Southerner here...where Ice bowls could be cold or they could be 60 degrees.

I think the no rating thing came about when they started offering the pseudo membership for $10 where you get a number and a mini but still pay non-member fees.

Well I agree its a tough course. Struggle with Those "C" placements pins, but a blast to play! With "Prerube's" rating I would fall into the lower Intermediate range If playing the "B" placements. Unfortunately I don't see a tournament being held there anytime soon. Does anyone find the back nine on that course much harder than the front nine?

Well I agree its a tough course. Struggle with Those "C" placements pins, but a blast to play! With "Prerube's" rating I would fall into the lower Intermediate range If playing the "B" placements. Unfortunately I don't see a tournament being held there anytime soon. Does anyone find the back nine on that course much harder than the front nine?

I hear Rockburn is completely different beast in mid summer with the vegitation all grown in. Expect your scores (and mine) to increase! ;)