• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should happen to the "quitters"

What should happen to quitters

• Nothing leave it as it is.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • They should recieve Par + a penalty on each unfinshed hole and get that rating.

Votes: 64 41.6%
  • They should be suspended (which PDGA was talking about according to interview)

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMHO, a player should always notify the TD** when he is choosing to DNF an event so the TD can prepare for it.
That's perfectly reasonable, but probably outside the scope of the issue of quitting to maintain your rating.

I'm also with slowRoll on the DCI thing. I've been tempted to bring them up several times in the past. They did (it's been over a decade since I've played) a great job of running tournaments and have been very successful as a result. I do admit that after reading your post I realized that I did break 5.2 once. I let someone bribe me into conceding so he could save his rating. It was a local, weekly draft and somehow my deck ended up super good. I suspect that the TD "forgot" to turn in the results because even though I cleaned up and beat at least one other player with a much higher rating than myself, no one's rating changed after the event. I suppose that was more of an issue with the TD being part of the same team as the guys I beat.

I don't know all the ins and outs of how ratings are calculated so this might be a stupid comment/question.

However, say someone has a high rating. But then DNFs five or six tournaments because of bad scores. If none of those six rounds are included in their rating, doesn't that make their rating invalid?
Probably, but so what? You only win or lose based on your score. Your rating doesn't play into it. If someone is habitually entering tournaments but quitting then they really aren't getting anything out of it. If a tournament is so exclusive that they only allow players of a certain rating to enter, they probably won't invite someone who quits all the time, anyway. That person also won't be able to play in a division that's more suited to their actual skill, so they'll be at a disadvantage in that respect.

Probably, but so what? You only win or lose based on your score. Your rating doesn't play into it. If someone is habitually entering tournaments but quitting then they really aren't getting anything out of it. If a tournament is so exclusive that they only allow players of a certain rating to enter, they probably won't invite someone who quits all the time, anyway. That person also won't be able to play in a division that's more suited to their actual skill, so they'll be at a disadvantage in that respect.

Exept performance and handicap events...you win by how well you shoot to your rating...but you are right, dropping out because a bad round will only hurt your chances qualifying and winning performance based events.

I understand for actual competition and within the DG community, this doesn't matter. But if players have inflated ratings due to DNFing bad rounds, this undermines the validity of the ratings of those whom played out their tournaments to those outside of the sport and gives those outsiders the feeling that DG is not a real sport. (Go Run On Sentence! :eek: ) Look at the "Steroids" era of baseball. For people who don't really follow baseball closely, the entire era is tainted.

I will never understand quitting a tournament to save your rating. There's a local that will remain nameless that has been known to do this and he has an absolutely terrible reputation around here. Like others have said, a rating doesn't mean jack squat if you are quitting every tournament you enter and therefore getting dead last behind those who did finish. Not to mention you are paying full price to enter the tournament and play only a percentage of it. I love to see my rating go up but I have never even considered tanking or DNFing a round to protect it. People I know who get caught up in what rating they shot and what their current rating is and what everyone else's is generally do not have fun playing this sport. I don't get it at all.

If a guy refuses to putt out on the 18th in a final round and makes a comment to the effect of he doesnt want to hurt his rating, and the whole group hears it, then i think they should be given par plus 4, i say that because KEVIN HALL will not finish a round that will affect his rating negatively, there is a word for guys like that but it wouldnt be polite to say it...

I am more upset about cowards than quiters

Cowards-those players who refuse to play certain courses because they know it doesnt suit there game....this includes NT pros as well as locals who avoid some courses like the plague...imo...this behavior does more to skew ratings and is more unsportsmanlike than punking out ever will be...just a bit more under the surface and not as visible as the DNF...I hate the DNR...as in did not register

Heh, all you have to do is schedule a tourney on a short course and the pros scatter like cockroaches. Every missed putt costs a lot of rating points when the holes are under 300 feet, so the pros don't play deuce-or-die. It's their right, of course, but you'd think they'd like getting a bunch of twos.

In fairness, pros that play the short courses usually shoot worse than their rating. And maybe that's a problem with the ratings formula, or maybe the PDGA just wants to keep the pros on the long courses and ams on the shorts.

No statistical basis for that. Players of all ratings shoot their rating average on all courses from SSA 42 to 70. But you are correct that each throw is worth more on low SSA courses so flukiness like cut-thrus and rollaways can play more of a role in your score and rating.

some players hide in the woods and some avoid the woods at all costs.....part of why I think there should be a GRAND SLAM of the PDGA.....with a fairway woods course, a short technical course, a bomber open flat course and a course with a ton of elevation

To address the DNF issue, how about just dropping the highest rated round in tandem with each DNF? That would make the rating more of a median than it currently is, but it would definitely cut down on people bailing because they three-putted a hole. I never understood why the PDGA dropped outlier "bad" rounds but kept outlier "good" rounds.

Yes, it would penalize the guy who quits his round so he can dash into a burning building to save some orphans, but in the long run it'll work out. If folks find that too harsh, maybe just drop your high round for three months per DNF. The end result should be, "Hey, why's my rating that low? Oh yeah, I had a couple of DNFs..."

optidiscic - part of why I think there should be a GRAND SLAM of the PDGA.....with a fairway woods course, a short technical course, a bomber open flat course and a course with a ton of elevation
PW2007

No statistical basis for that. Players of all ratings shoot their rating average on all courses from SSA 42 to 70.

Okay, then, the pros I know choke on short courses, while the others keep their cool. :)

To address the DNF issue, how about just dropping the highest rated round in tandem with each DNF? That would make the rating more of a median than it currently is, but it would definitely cut down on people bailing because they three-putted a hole. I never understood why the PDGA dropped outlier "bad" rounds but kept outlier "good" rounds.

Yes, it would penalize the guy who quits his round so he can dash into a burning building to save some orphans, but in the long run it'll work out. If folks find that too harsh, maybe just drop your high round for three months per DNF. The end result should be, "Hey, why's my rating that low? Oh yeah, I had a couple of DNFs..."

interesting :thmbup:

I think what the PDGA has done is make a ton of Ams addicted to their rating and taking away that high of hot round might not feed into the junkie scene the PDGA is cultivating

Why is the bad round dropped anyway? In other sports if you choke you don't get to wipe it off your record :\

I would support accounting for ALL rounds, even though it would negatively affect my rating. It definitely makes you more accountable and makes for a more excuse-proof rating. Of course, with tournament players, excuses are like armpits... :\

The Am solution should be different from the Pro solution. The current process (dropping rounds on mid-round DNF) makes sure Ams can't directly bag their rating or at least makes it cost prohibitive to do so relative to the benefit. Pros benefit from dropping rounds both for sponsorship and event entry. So I'm thinking we'll need to figure out some sort of automated ratings reduction and/or disciplinary action along the lines of suspension to discourage worry-free DNFing.

what courses chuck? I think icluding such a 4some on the NT would be pretty cool though
All at Highbridge. No chance going back though at least PDGA sanctioned.

Latest posts