• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should happen to the "quitters"

What should happen to quitters

• Nothing leave it as it is.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • They should recieve Par + a penalty on each unfinshed hole and get that rating.

Votes: 64 41.6%
  • They should be suspended (which PDGA was talking about according to interview)

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prerube

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I was listening to the Shweberger interview and they talked about the people who quit during their round so they do not hurt their rating.

What should happen to a player who quits at hole 16 so they do not have to report their rating?

Barring medical emergencies, I'd say par+4 on every hole they don't complete.

You can't penalize drop outs using score penalties because the round would simply drop off their rating anyway if the round rating is too low.

You can't penalize drop outs using score penalties because the round would simply drop off their rating anyway if the round rating is too low.

What I am saying is, should they be forced to take the rating if they drop out.
Can you explain the suspension possibilities that the PDGA was supposedly considering?

Except for the Open division, any penalty that applies to ratings would be a free ticket for sandbaggers. An easy way to drop your rating where you can qualify for a lower division.

Anyone who really wants to "protect" their rating could always take 30 putts on the last hole, anyway.

Barring medical emergencies, I'd say par+4 on every hole they don't complete.

Who's going to arbitrate "medical emergencies"? I've dropped out of tournaments due to the problems inside my shoulder; even if I submit my medical records to the PDGA, how will I prove that was the issue in a specific event?

it's a non-issue.

the only players who actually benefit from having a higher rating are ones who have some sort of sponsorship which could be dependent on it. if they are quitting to save their rating the sponsors will eventually get wind of it.

the pdga certainly has way better things to do.

prerube - What I am saying is, should they be forced to take the rating if they drop out.
What I am saying is that round rating you force the player to take would be low enough that it would automatically be dropped from that player's rating calculation. So their resulting rating would end up the same as if it were a DNF.

biscoe - the only players who actually benefit from having a higher rating are ones who have some sort of sponsorship which could be dependent on it. if they are quitting to save their rating the sponsors will eventually get wind of it.
Not the only ones. The big problem is in Europe and a few events in the U.S. (with more going this way) where they use rating minimum step changes to determine who can register for events. The number of events and field sizes are limited compared with the growth of the sport in Europe. A higher rating helps get you in the event. I get a steady stream of emails from Europeans to find a solution to this DNF problem where pros protect their ratings. Beaver State Fling going on right now also uses rating minimums for initial registrations.

I would develop some sort of short-term suspension. In a market where there are often waiting lists to play in tournaments, someone who starts the tournament only to DNF because he didn't like the way his round was going has kept someone else from being able to get into the tournament, compete, and enjoy it all the way through to the end. To discourage the habitual DNF strategy, and to keep these people from taking a spot in the field that someone on the wait list would enjoy more, I would suggest a suspension from registering for or playing in sanctioned tournaments for a month or two, possibly more, depending on how bad or how habitual the offense is. Alternately, they could only be allowed to register for and play in events that do not fill before the end of the registration period (i.e., their registration is held in a waiting list until the waiting list is otherwise emptied out).

Last edited:
I would agree any penalty that affecs rating would only be benefitting the quitter, perhaps there should be some sort of suspension for multiple DNF's in a period of time. I have no idea how many is too many btu I know this, it would take something serious for me to ever DNF. I played on a horribly tender knee last year and I still shot close to my rating. I have too much pride to say . . . "I cannot finish because it will affect my rating"

Last year I watched two 1000+ rated players drop out on the last hole at two different tournaments. They both refused to hole out on the last hole. They thought the whole thing was funny and that they had gotten over. I have no idea, but I don't think the TD's reported them.

In my opinion they cheated. Plan and simple. A 1000 rated player shooting sub 950 rated rounds would have changed the ratings considerably for everyone else. Even if the rounds were dropped it would effect their standard deviation in the long run. You can only drop so many rounds before it starts effecting your ratings. In the very least it's poor sportsmanship.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that you loose all ratings from a tournament you drop out of. So Barry Schultz dropped out of The Memorial a couple years back after he shot a hot round the first round but hit his hand on the basket while dropping his disc in on the last hole. He dropped out at the start of the second round because something was clearly wrong with his hand. It is my understanding that even his bot round would not count towards his rating because he dropped out of the tournament. I think this is fair no matter what the reason is for dropping out. For tbose who consistently drop out of tournaments should get a suspension from the PDGA, we just need to figure out what the guidelines are and how we regulate them.

30 day suspension after 2 within a ratings update period. I've played a couple of events that had a waitlist, and a few people DNF. However, if a tournament isn't full or waitlisted, then I'll take advantage of anyone who wants to quit.

So Barry Schultz dropped out of The Memorial a couple years back after he shot a hot round the first round but hit his hand on the basket while dropping his disc in on the last hole.

tee hee... not exactly... (he punched the ground after missing a putt and hurt his hand)

how would those of you who believe dropping out of events to be actionable suggest the pdga monitor/differentiate between the various reasons for dropping out?

Latest posts