• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was thrown back in the day...

Davis Johnson!

The guy who set records in 74 thru 76 I have played with in a tourney! and he designed the crane hill golf course in wilbraham:)
Just wanted to share

This has been a really enlightening thread. I played with my uncle awhile back, and he used to play before his kids were born (10 yrs). He throws all the old discs, including a Discraft Shadow. Weird-looking disc. Im probably gonna get him an XL just to bring him out of the stone-age a bit.

Played Calvert Park (Maryland) from the "long" tees with a cobra, stingray, classic roc, xd, old aero and super puppy (thanks craigger). Really enjoyed the round. To me it made a very short course feel pretty long and somewhat challenging. I actually look forward to playing calvert again and can't wait to try my older molds on other courses. I really recommend it to anyone.

I used to throw my 165 ultimate lid for better scores than disc golf discs. It took me a long time to correct my form and get better results out of disc golf discs. I am still no expert but it was fun to go and play courses with one lid and see everyone snicker until you threw that big white bird for surprisingly good distance. I try to throw a frisbee on the beach now and I end up throwing rollers in the sand all day. LMAO! People must think I am retarded.

I used to throw my 165 ultimate lid for better scores than disc golf discs. It took me a long time to correct my form and get better results out of disc golf discs. I am still no expert but it was fun to go and play courses with one lid and see everyone snicker until you threw that big white bird for surprisingly good distance. I try to throw a frisbee on the beach now and I end up throwing rollers in the sand all day. LMAO! People must think I am retarded.

thats all i did playing frisbee with my kids the other day. right down the driveway:eek:

Played Calvert Park (Maryland) from the "long" tees with a cobra, stingray, classic roc, xd, old aero and super puppy (thanks craigger). Really enjoyed the round. To me it made a very short course feel pretty long and somewhat challenging. I actually look forward to playing calvert again and can't wait to try my older molds on other courses. I really recommend it to anyone.

holy moley! an aero, a stingray and a supper puppy! sweet. i have all 3 in the vault but have not thrown any in quite a while. well - maybe the stingray before i found other turnover discs.

but a super puppy! so nice to hear...

In the late 80's a lot of guys used discs like the Aviar and the Phantom+ for golf shots and still used lids for putting.
by 1990 I remember the hot drivers were the Stingray and Eclipse. The Roc was very common, as was the Avair. The Aviar has been really common since it came out. XD's were common. Cobras were very common. Hammers were common. Some guys had discs like the Aero, the Coupe, the Ace, the original Roc and the original Hammer, but even by then those discs were fairly rare.
Lots and lots of people threw Super Puppies. I don't think you can have an "old-school" bag without one.

yes - aviar (always!), phantom, hammer (hammerhead, right?), stingray, xd, aero, ace, super puppy.

are you looking at my pile of old, tired discs???

Evolution of the Stingray:

Old School
IMG_1899.JPG

Long Range Driver
IMG_1900.JPG

Mid-Range
IMG_1901.JPG

hammer (hammerhead, right?)
Hammer: A fairly common turnover discs of the early 90's. It was available in a wide range of weights and colors. Guaranteed unbreakable, it's days came to an end when they started making discs in higher quality plastic. There was no need for an "unbreakable" DX Hammer when you could get a Millennium Aurora MS. It went OOP around '96.
005-1.jpg

Hammerhead: A one and done disc by Innova around '98. It was a turnover midrange floater. The plastic was very hard to work with, so only one run was ever released. Every one was 180g (even said so on the hotstamp) and every one I ever saw was yellow. Since there was only one run released, they were fairly uncommon.
006-1.jpg

From outward appearances the molds seem to be the same, but the underside tooling is different. The guess I always had was that the top and wing were the same. The flight plate of the Hammer was really thick and the Hammerhead was supposed to float, so I'd guess they used a different core that would have reduced the thickness of the flight plate so that it would float. OR...it's a different mold altogether and I have no clue what I'm talking about, which is always a distinct possibility.

Hammer: A fairly common turnover discs of the early 90's. It was available in a wide range of weights and colors. Guaranteed unbreakable, it's days came to an end when they started making discs in higher quality plastic. There was no need for an "unbreakable" DX Hammer when you could get a Millennium Aurora MS. It went OOP around '96.
005-1.jpg

Ah yes, that's it. I was indeed thinking of the Hammer, but I knew it had a hammerhead shark on it. Nice.

i played with a guy once that had just started playing again after several years, and he said that he went in his closet and pulled out his bag and the fastest disc he had in there was an eagle....lol.....
i was like wow, yeah it has been a while for ya huh...

We used to use 165g, Super Pros and Master Whamo catch discs at first. The first discs that I saw devoted to disc golf were the Whamo Midnight Flyers. They came in a variety of weights and sizes, flew fairly well and yes they all glowed in the dark! I still have one stashed away in the collection (a #5 I think) I also have a disc from back then called the Kittyhawk Soft Touch (not an improvement!) The 1st mainstream golf disc that I got was a discraft phantom+. Still have it-still love it! In 1987 I got my 1st Discraft Duece. I love it for its duribility and still cary one in my bag for punch shots out of the woods, midrange rollers and desperation tomahawks. After that I adapted as newer discs came out:Tracers, Cyclones, Xclones, Magnets, comets, etc. I went through a lot of discs trying to figure out what worked for me, and these were my favorites.

For anyone interested in this sort of thing ...

A couple of friends of mine and I are going to try this out at Hudson Mills Original. According to DGCR, HMO was opened in 1992. We expanded that just a year to allow any discs approved for use by the PDGA by the end of 1993. I'll let you know how it goes!

my dads bag is still set up from the early 90's

siscraft marauder
discraft X-clone
ontario roc
innova giffen
innova jaguar
innova stingray
innova viper
lighting b-25 mitchell
aviar P&A
areo P&A
discraft Shadow
discraft eclipse
innova hammer

i think thats all

I played a couple rounds in 1993, then quit. I only had five discs:

Birdie
Shark
Stingray
Viper (couldn't throw it at all)
Cyclone (I think :confused:)

Don't have them, but the Stingray was a distance driver and the Viper was the current distance record holder at the time.

My original 'bag' (didn't have a bag, just carried'em) was a Lightning P-38, Aero, Phantom+, Whamo 91 Aviar and Aviar XD. had an Ace for awhile but didn't play with it much. Stingray and Cobra were next, followed by a Viper. I might still have a beadless Aviar gathering dust, I'll check

Also, I am casually looking for some of the "out-of-print" discs from the 92-93 era to play with at HMO. Most of the stuff on ebay/Discaroo is of the "Collectible, minty-mint, never thrown" variety. If anyone has some slightly-used to used (but not totally beat) larger diameter drivers that they'd be willing to part with, feel free to PM me.

My bag in 1993:
San Marino Roc
XD
Aviar
Shadow
Viper
Hammer
Barracuda
Stingray
Cobra

Then The "Game Changer" Discraft's Cyclone came out.

this is almost(sans the barracuda and shadow) exactly my bag when i started in '93-'94..cyclone immediately went to my number one driver..i still thorw stingrays/cobras sometimes..i think the avair is probably the one that will never leave the bag

Latest posts