• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you throw???

rynehester

I've been working on my fairway drivers. In my newbie days I would just load my bag up with high speed drivers close my eyes throw and wish for the best. I"m a little over a year and a half into disc golf and i've learned the importance of disc selection and discing down. I'm currently working through what fairway drivers I want to carry in my bag. I'm looking for straight and consistent. Here is what I tested out today; Champ Eagle, Opto Saint, F2, Escape, Vip Stag, and Star Valk. I've uploaded a pic of the shots i'm looking to make with these disc. It's a 310 foot drive with the pin slightly back to the left. The line is not to tight but you have to make a decent shot to get it there.

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 373
If you have the arm strength, this is a midrange hole. I'd probably throw my beat Verdict on a slight hyzer.

I'm getting better at driving my putters and mids.. The hardest part for me is griping them. The small rims feel strange and it always distracts me on my pull through. I have a Pa4, buzzz and Fuse that I threw down there as well. I like that the lower speed discs will drop in a straight line like a plane but I feel like 310 is just outside of my range with them. The Fairway drivers seem to give me a little more wiggle room and forgiveness on a bad throw. I def don't have a power arm my max with a D4, with a room is prob between 350 to 400. I know a lot of guys can do that with a putter… Do you guys think it would be better for me keep at this shot with a fairway driver or start trying to get this distance with a putter or mid???

You're going to get a lot of Teebird suggestions. I don't disagree (though the Eagle fan boy in me is screaming beat S.EX) That hole looks wide enough that you could tackle it with a slew of discs. If I didn't feel like laying into a mid, I'd probably opt for a tweener mid/fairway driver for this hole. Like a Gazelle, Cyclone, Stalker, Zombee, FD, JLS, or even a Leopard.

I personally consider the Saint, Valk, and Escape slow distance drivers. Couldn't tell you about the Stag or F2 though.

I'm getting better at driving my putters and mids.. The hardest part for me is griping them. The small rims feel strange and it always distracts me on my pull through. I have a Pa4, buzzz and Fuse that I threw down there as well. I like that the lower speed discs will drop in a straight line like a plane but I feel like 310 is just outside of my range with them. The Fairway drivers seem to give me a little more wiggle room and forgiveness on a bad throw. I def don't have a power arm my max with a D4, with a room is prob between 350 to 400. I know a lot of guys can do that with a putter… Do you guys think it would be better for me keep at this shot with a fairway driver or start trying to get this distance with a putter or mid???

On the course do what gets you to the pin, man.

Do fieldwork or putter/mid rounds if you like, but I prefer field work and THEN the putter rounds after I figure out how to throw them better.

Do you guys think it would be better for me keep at this shot with a fairway driver or start trying to get this distance with a putter or mid???

Yeah, what kodachrome said. Just b/c you can reach it with a putter or mid doesn't necessarily mean it's the best disc for the job. Play the %'s. With being that open and the slightly limited ceiling, I'd toss a FW Driver probably.

Practice tossing your Buzz or Fuse at it, it will behoove your form learning to push those discs out as far and controlled as possible but for competitive purposes always play the %'s and get that easy putt.

Beat *TB or Cryztal Buzzz. Depends how i feel that day. And i agree with kodachrome on just doin what works on the course and practice later when u got the time.

Don't listen to some people on here that throw their putters on every hole under 400'. Throw what gets you to the basket in the least amount of throws. I would throw a tee bird, btw.

I used to have the same problem gripping mids and putters for driving, I switched to a fan grip for those shots, and it made a huge difference, I was using a power grip on every shot before that. Do what works is great advice, but after practice you can figure out multiple things that might work and you can then pick what works best

Oh and on this hole I would throw either a champion cobra or a TL

I'd flip your Valk, if you're going with your choices.

In my bag, I'd run a Star Orc at it, so I could keep it low and play the skip to the basket.

Well, I don't have a 310 putter arm. That River or Stag should get you there on a hyzer line. For me I would go to a Gold Line Saint.

Saint or Valk. Not much fade on that shot. Also enough room for a little hyzer flip or small turn in the flight.