• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the worst disc you've ever had/thrown?

But i think the disc that disappointed me most was the 165g Star Valkyrie I bought that was just a glideless, overstable brick. I did the hot water treatments, threw it into a brick wall many times, and tried to use it for months to wear it in. No luck; it might as well have been a Firebird. It's still as bad now, even though my own form has improved a lot over time.

Just started into this thread. Your post reminded me of a Sidewinder that a dgcr friend has. I think it's a star. He uses it in the same slot he throws an Orc for. From -3/1 as advertised to -1/3 flight. However, he likes the disc for what it is. It's just not what he was initially looking for. Could you use that Valk in a fb type slot?

As far as my least favorite disc. I got a Franklin set at Ollies when I first started. Even then I knew something wasn't right. I think that they were made of melamine. :gross:

Just started into this thread. Your post reminded me of a Sidewinder that a dgcr friend has. I think it's a star. He uses it in the same slot he throws an Orc for. From -3/1 as advertised to -1/3 flight. However, he likes the disc for what it is. It's just not what he was initially looking for. Could you use that Valk in a fb type slot?

Yes, I could use that Valk as a Firebird-"ish" disc. But I prefer the Sexton Firebird for those duties, and I have a Star FL and Star Thunderbird that are good for OS needs. So I just use that Valk when I throw all my Valks on the range to practice form.

As far as my least favorite disc. I got a Franklin set at Ollies when I first started. Even then I knew something wasn't right. I think that they were made of melamine. :gross:

i found a franklin off brand which is "gopher" on the fairway at a local course. the rim is incredibly slim height AND width. it has to have been made for a child.

G-20771-GopherQuikShotDiscGolfDiscs-features-01.jpg

this thing is incredible... for a bad reason.

i found a franklin off brand which is "gopher" on the fairway at a local course. the rim is incredibly slim height AND width. it has to have been made for a child.
It probably *was* made for a child. Gopher is a major supplier of sports and athletic equipment to schools.

My worst disc should have been great.

I bought a QJLS I believe it was - totally clear - no coloring at all with a white outline stamp that could barely be seen.

I got exactly 2 throws out of it.

The first one landed on the fairway, but since it was totally clear it looked like grass. Spent 30 minutea looking for it until someone stepped on it and said - oh here it is.

The second flight slipped left into a nice clear stream.

Should have been easy to spot in a 2 foot deep clear stream.

But guess what a clear disk looks like in a clear stream...

Speaking of the Zombee, that's a funny disc. When I was starting out I also hated the feel but they flew really good for me. Once I learned to throw mids better I had no spot for it, but it's a fun tweeter.

...but it's a fun tweeter.
Dunno about that. I find the high end rolls off sharply above 12kHz or so. :\

The only way it sounds crisp is if you overcompensate with an EQ, or running bi-amped and have a pretty sophisticated crossover.

But it's far from the worst driver I've ever worked with.

Last edited:
Dunno about that. I find the high end rolls off sharply above 12kHz or so. :\

The only way it sounds crisp is if you overcompensate with an EQ, or running bi-amped and have a pretty sophisticated crossover.

But it's far from the worst driver I've ever worked with.

Lol, autocorrect is fun.

Maybe if I could upgrade the preamp on my Kliptch it would be better?

I highly dislike my Champion Groove. I'm sure some people like that crappy groove on the rim, but it sticks in my hand 90% of the time I throw it. It drove me insane and I gave the disc away to one of my friends.

I highly dislike my Champion Groove. I'm sure some people like that crappy groove on the rim, but it sticks in my hand 90% of the time I throw it. It drove me insane and I gave the disc away to one of my friends.

Not only is it uncomfortable to hold or throw, the disc doesn't fly for crap. I think the Groove is the worst mold still in production.

Obviously not a friend if you saddled said friend with a Groove. :( Just kidding. And you're not the only Groove-hater on these boards...

I do not like the newer R-Pro Darts, they are so inconsistent with the plastic for those discs that a disc can be floppy while another is like most disc made in R-Pro, the Firm yet not Floppy disc. They all used to be the Firm yet not totally floppy disc in that plastic type.

The stop was a few weeks ago at the Local Walmart and I bet they are still there as even obscure and dumb sports like Sport Fishing even outrank Disc Golf in South Dakota. Most states even ones like South Dakota with big Fishing tournaments the Disc golf is either on par with Sport Fishing or the Disc Golf is now just slightly bigger. Somehow we still have some big Tournamnts with the stupid "Pros" for Walleye fishing they have one of the Big tournaments in South Dakota every year with Walmart corporation being the main sponsor. Every few years it is in My area and the local Walmart is a nightmare to go to.

At the Local Walmart even obscure and dumb sports like Sport Fishing outrank Disc Golf in South Dakota. In most states, even ones like South Dakota with big Fishing tournaments, Disc golf is either on par with Sport Fishing or Disc Golf is now just slightly bigger.

Note: I took some liberties with the above quote to make it more readable, so it is not a direct quote. You're welcome.

Wow! I am trying to imagine my local Walmart devoting an entire aisle to disc golf like it does for fishing equipment. If disc golf becomes more popular than fishing, then this could become a reality, right? As it is right now, none of my local Walmarts have any disc golf stuff whatsoever, but each has at least one aisle for fishing. We've got a ways to go I suppose.

I spent many years chasing little green fish competitively. Still chase them occasionally but don't do bass tourneys anymore.

Without looking up numbers, I assure you people spend multitudes more on sport fishing than disc golf. I reckon Wal-Mart has a pretty good idea of how to utilize their space.

Latest posts