• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

when did you guys play your first tourny

gunsfan05

Ive being playing for about six months and i would really like to play in a tournament but i dont want to go out there and look like an idiot should i wait or go ahead and play in one im thinking about the state games in Charlotte but if you guys have better ideas let me know

look at recent results at the courses you usually play if there is a any division you are competitive in go for it weather it be adv int. or rec

I would say go for it. find a course you are comfortable shooting at and go out and play in the tournament there. I will be playing in my first tournament this year as well. been playing a number of years but usually when the tournaments i would like to play in come up i am usually out of state at that time. My goal for my first tournament is to have fun and to finish at least dead last or better.

There's no such thing as "too early" to play a tourney. If you know the rules, and have even a basic knowledge of disc golf dynamics, you can play Rec. If you want to play, play!

Rec is a great place to get your feet wet.

Intermediate is for players who are shooting just over par on the course.

I wouldn't play in Advanced for my first tourney, unles you know you are really good and can hang with seasoned players.

well i wish there was a tourny here in my town but we dont have one or even a local group to play with just me and my buddies that play but our course is rated very generously and on average i shoot 8 to 12 under par some times on a good day 15 under but i have played a few other courses and shot in the 2 under to 2 over range so i really think i could do it the only other question i have is a stupid one i know but im going to ask it anyway do you have to use a mini as a marker or can i just use another disc i have never bought a mini in six months lol

well i wish there was a tourny here in my town but we dont have one or even a local group to play with just me and my buddies that play but our course is rated very generously and on average i shoot 8 to 12 under par some times on a good day 15 under but i have played a few other courses and shot in the 2 under to 2 over range so i really think i could do it the only other question i have is a stupid one i know but im going to ask it anyway do you have to use a mini as a marker or can i just use another disc i have never bought a mini in six months lol

Sounds like you would do well in a tournament. You don't need a mini for anything. You can just stand behind your disc you threw previously and throw again. I'm in charlotte as well and considering playing that tournament. What division would you be in? Also, what course in charlotte do you shoot 15 under on?

I've played since January and so far I've played a weekly singles tourney once and a Birdie Bash. I'll be playing my first "real" tourney in June, and I'm PUMPED. But as to making a fool out of yourself, I promise, you won't. Every single person I've played with that's been better than me has been extremely friendly and helpful. 95% of people, especially in the lower divisions, are out there to have fun. As long as you're not being rude or overly annoying no one will care what your skill level is. I recommend going to a weekly singles/dubs event near you and just get to know people. Not only might you make some new friends, but you might even get some tips that will help you out.

Sounds like you would do well in a tournament. You don't need a mini for anything. You can just stand behind your disc you threw previously and throw again. I'm in charlotte as well and considering playing that tournament. What division would you be in? Also, what course in charlotte do you shoot 15 under on?

sorry i mis spoke i live in mt airy nc but i want to play the tourny in charlotte

My first tournament was only after about 3 months (or less).

You don't know what you don't know. Go ahead and play Rec (or Novice if it's offered). If you get called a bagger, smile as you walk away with a stack of plastic and move up at the next tourney.

I entered my first sanctioned event after playing for 6 months. I won the Rec division, beating my only other competitor, who also happened to be my ride home; my dad. :)

Played my first sanctioned tourney at last year's BG Ams! 630+ players!! I finished 82nd in Rec and had a blast.

Since then, I've never placed lower (even placed first a couple of times...it helps to play against a field of 3 to 5 guys instead of 147 ;))

Go, sign up & have fun.

I played my first tourney after about a year of throwing, but about 6 months after really getting passionate about playing often and getting better.

It was a local one-day, two round, non-sanctioned charity doubles tourney. My brother and I ended up winning after a great second round. That was October 2010. Registered with the PDGA right after that. Played my first PDGA event in January 2011, in Intermediate, and finished 10th. Had a blast, got the tourney bug, and knew I could play better!

Played my first tourney just after 3 weeks of playing. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I'm not sure where I finishied, but I had a great time.

I waited a couple years after I started playing regularly, and regretted not starting to play leagues and tournaments right away.

I played two local non pdga tournaments years back after only playing about a year, I played in Novice, I didnt win but I wasnt DFL. I'm thinking about playing a tourney soon as soon as I get the time off AND have money for it. It seems like all the recent tourneys I could have played I either didnt have time or money to do it.

I played occasionally when I first started in the late 70s but truly got enthused after playing at Grateful Disc Fort collins Co in 1982 was still figuring it out but had a great time and was hooked totally after that. If you desire to play in a tournament I say go for it and enjoy it whenever you can it is the best way to get better!

I was lucky and had a friend who regularly played PDGA tournaments, and caddied for him at a tournament and learned how they are run, which was about a week after I started trying to play. Seeing the tournament first hand made me realize I had to play. I've played in everything within an hour drive since then :thmbup:

I would say go for it. find a course you are comfortable shooting at and go out and play in the tournament there. I will be playing in my first tournament this year as well. been playing a number of years but usually when the tournaments i would like to play in come up i am usually out of state at that time. My goal for my first tournament is to have fun and to finish at least dead last or better.

^ no better explanation. the worst u can do is have fun and lose? ahaha

I played casually for seven years before finally playing a tournament. I really wish I hadn't waited so long. Disc golf tournaments are not high pressure affairs. Especially in the lower divisions it's about having fun on the course and getting a chance to see how you stack up against other players. If you find a tournament you think you might want to play, go for it. What's the worst that can happen?