• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When should you move to pro?

the tournament is on a brand new layout that has never been played before. it was created for this tournament. Currently there aren't any advanced players signed up so if it stays that way it makes my decision easy.

Last edited:
Either way, if you have played rounds on the old layout and it was used in tournaments previously, you can still get an idea of what your scores would have been rated.

It is a much harder layout than the permanent course. This one was designed by two local pro's and is the gold/pro layout. This new layout uses 9 or 10 completely new holes with new teebox locations and basket locations. Previously hardest hole was like a 500 footer kinda open. Now there are 650+ footers with OB both sides lol.

I guess my question shouldn't be "should I play int or adv", it should be "would you feel bad playing intermediate instead of advanced because you are currently an unrated player". I have a feeling if I play intermediate it will be the only time I play in that division, so I don't know if I even want to bother doing it just because I am unrated.

Tournament golf is very different from casual rounds. Play is MUCH slower and most do not shoot as well during tourney play compared to casual rounds. I would suggest either starting in intermediate and seeing how you do OR play advanced, but keep your expectations low. It is your first tournament, have fun.

^^ This is good advice. Most people think they're good until they play in a tournament. Birdie putts are much harder in tournaments than in mini/casual rounds.

Your numbers mean very little because we don't know which tournaments you selected but obviously which division you play in has a lot to do with your local competition, and North Carolina has a lot of 1000+ players.

Largely it depends on what your goals are. Do you want to keep winning Am tournaments for the thrills and merch, or do you want to maybe cash in Pro and continue to try and play at a higher level? Also, beating Big Jerm just once would be more of a rush than winning 20 am B tiers...

Lol, Paul beat Jerm last year at the Best at the Nest. Check it out. Jeremy "Well I won, but I would have even won advanced." Paul gave up a difference of about $150 in cash. Im not cutting on Paul, I like playing against him.

I posted this in the BG thread and realized it was probably more appropriate here. Enjoy.

When to go pro is a case by case decision that shouldn't be affected by the whining of losing ams or pros who want your cash in their division. Anyone who says otherwise can go suck a pickle.

Thank god you re-posted that gem. :)

So what if my replies are a week behind.

Anyways, I am one of the 3 NC players that finished in the top 12 in worlds. I am waiting for Felix, DAvid, and Paul to go pro first. Then I will start my very own "should I go pro" thread. Played 3 rounds with Garrett this weekend... Did we look like Pro players? Heh. I am going to take lessons from Paul.

man, i might just follow you two around if you play am dubs together again this year. Now THAT would be entertaining :popcorn:

I think the term "pro" in DG is laughable when the sport can only afford a handful of players to be full-time pros. IMO, it is an amateur sport for almost all of the players.

I think the term "pro" in DG is laughable when the sport can only afford a handfull of players to be full-time pros. IMO, it is an amateur sport for almost all of the players.

hmmmmmm. since the term "pro" means getting paid. and open(pro) players are playing for money, it doesn't seem that laughable. :|

hmmmmmm. since the term "pro" means getting paid. and open(pro) players are playing for money, it doesn't seem that laughable. :|

You are correct about being paid but the "pay" hardly seems worth it. My point is that there is little incentive to move up to "pro" when there are limited resources to compensate a player for the extra time and money required to be a full time pro player. Most pros have a day job. Amateur athletes in other sports are paid more than pro DG'ers. I do not mean disrespect when I say laughable but many pros laugh when they tally up what they took vs what they spent to compete in the first place.

I agree with that sentiment, I'm not better than my rating but I should be. I stil can't shake my mistake prone rounds where I play well except for two holes which I completely blow up on or how I miss 3 putts from inside 15'.

Still not sure if it's a lack of focus or a deficiency in mechanics. One problem is that I'm constantly worried about small teepads, instead of taking my normal x-step that I would in lieu of a teepad i'm taking some awkward thing that resembles my normal form.

Rant over, resume discussion.

The problem is you're a lousy putter. :) And you're inconsistent. :)

Seriously though. 3 putts inside 15' in one round? You've got a problem. 0-1 is where you ought to be from 15'. Let's say you nail 6 putts from outside 15 feet during the round. That leaves 12. You've got to assume that at least half of those are inside of 10', which is a total gimme. That leaves you 6 putts. You're telling me you're only 50-66% from 15'? That tells me you need to buy a basket for the driveway.

Whiz,
Is part of your reasoning for staying an AM because Worlds is coming to your home town?

I see no problem with a player who has worked hard on thier game, moved up the Am ranks, and become one of the best in the world to wait until after the world championships comes to thier home courses to move up.

I would bet most of us on here would do the same thing in this situation. A world title should go to someone of a high skill level.