• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

My sister did the 25 mile radius courses 3+ rating. DFW and Charlotte were head and shoulders above the rest.

I did the 50 mile radius 3.5+ courses with a weighted rating and DFW and Charlotte were the best.

Anyway you shake it in that kind of set up DFW and Charlotte are the best... I wonder why?

Bottom line is many (most?) of us are spoiled with epic disc golf with little to no fees. Good for all of us. I feel sorry for the green-fee paying ball golfers... which I once was.

Bottom line is many (most?) of us are spoiled with epic disc golf with little to no fees. Good for all of us. I feel sorry for the green-fee paying ball golfers... which I once was.

Absolutely! Unfortunately there are some really great courses that are very underrated, finnon reservoir for example. As helpful as they can be to gauge a course you've never played Ratings don't mean everything. It's all opinion based anyway

Absolutely! Unfortunately there are some really great courses that are very underrated, finnon reservoir for example. As helpful as they can be to gauge a course you've never played Ratings don't mean everything. It's all opinion based anyway

Funny, I wish listed Finnon earlier today. I've been plenty pleased with lower rated courses in the area. Lagoon Valley, for example, is a lot of fun to me. And it's almost always wide open.

Finnon is completely awesome and very difficult. It's a course that really challenges anyone's abilities. One drawback is that it's under construction so to speak, but hang town is workin hard on it. It can be a little tough to navigate in its present state, plus you can't see most of the baskets from the tees so its best to go with someone who's played there before. Hit me up if you wanna go

I haven't travelled enough to do anything but make the case for my town of Charlotte. If we're doing the 90 min radius, then....

4) One of 2 places to host pro-and am-worlds together.

NOT!!!

Michigan (twice), Kansas City, and Iowa hosted both PRO and Am Worlds before Charlotte did. :D

Finnon is completely awesome and very difficult. It's a course that really challenges anyone's abilities. One drawback is that it's under construction so to speak, but hang town is workin hard on it. It can be a little tough to navigate in its present state, plus you can't see most of the baskets from the tees so its best to go with someone who's played there before. Hit me up if you wanna go

I will hit you up for sure. Playing Shady tomorrow morning in case you are interested. Should be on the box by 915-930.

/back to disc golf meccas/

The Saudi's are contemplating installing a course and ending this discussion forever. Once DG catches on there, they will all begin making pilgrimmages to Charlotte.

Yea the only thing cheaper in Cali is fruit and drugs. Glad I live in a thriving economy along with great dg.

Finnon has the potential to be a top notch course, all it needs it some people who love and care about it in that area. It needs some serious mowing in the summer, as well as some signs to direct you around.

Mohammad vs. Steady Ed Hendrick

Steady ed invented disc golf as well as the basket. He also revolutionized the frisbee in a co-effort with the people of Wham-O! Therefore, a disc golf Mecca should reside in the state he called Home. I.E. California or Georgia.

we could go on and on. for me the scenery and atmosphere makes for good golf. crowded suburbia with hot sweltering temps in the summer ie charlotte immediately takes all course ratings down a notch or two...

so, me personally, I'm a nature freak. one of the main reasons why I like dg... so the mecca is yeah somewhere special. like when you are camping out on great dg getaway. you can see the stars not just light pollution and smog.

this mecca is located in .............................................................................................

Last edited:
For competitive disc golfers my vote is the World championships. Disc golfers from all over will descend upon great courses wherever they are each summer.

If we're going down the "literal definition of Mecca" road....

Isn't the Rochester FDO the oldest disc golf tourney? Meaning, the first time DG wasn't just an event at a larger frisbee comp, but it's own stand-alone event? IDK, I'm seriously curious...

According to my Buzzz with the 2011 RFDO stamp, this year's will be the 40th anniversary??!!

This ^ and I believe it has the oldest league in the country. Thanks Jim Palmeri #23. The league started in August of 1970 including tournaments hell they gave away a brand new 1974 Datsun B210. And Dan "Stork" Riddick won it. The next year Oak Grove Park had permanent poles. I personally believe disc golf was started as a organized sport in Rochester NY.

I don't like rednecks so Texas is out. I hate toothless hillbillies so the Carolina's are out. Hipster's are annoying so California is out. That leaves me with KC and Highbridge. KC for dg destination to live in, Highbridge for the dg destination to travel to.

You dont like rednecks, but still would go to highbridge area? Lol your in for a shock

This year will be the 29th Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open. Also held Worlds, has awesome courses. The quantity is lacking, but good quality golf. The club is awesome. Maybe not the best mecca, but it's gotta be up there.