• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where I played on my Christmas holiday

DiscChainBasket18

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Since I get time off from work for Christmas I end up playing a lot of disc golf. I headed over the hill to Knoxville to visit family & here's where we played:
Dec. 25: 18 @ Morningside, 18 @ Farragut
Dec. 26: 18 @ Morristown, 18 @ Farragut
Dec. 27: 18 @ Groves Park, 9 @ Farragut, 15 @ Victor Ashe (ran out of daylight & energy)

I'm sitting here today & luckily it's raining out. Otherwise I might be tempted to go out & play some more. Wait a minute. Is that sunshine?

Where did y'all play this holiday???

You lucky dog! Looks like a great time!

If you look at my other threads, my son and I planned a road trip for this weekend in and around the Austin area.

We started at Steeplechase Park in Kyle, Tx. Beautiful course! A blue northern blew in with heavy winds but we still had a ball.

We were planning to go play Pease Park in Austin, stay over, and hit a few more courses today.

We got a phone call from my mother that a suprise birthday party for my brother had been planned for that evening and to please come home. The bum's birthday was back on the 21st, but family is family!

So, we swung by Disc Nation, bought a few discs, and headed home. It was killing son to have new discs and not be able to try them out so we stopped by our home course, McClain in San Antonio. We were only going to play 9 holes but we rushed and did the full loop.

The party was at George Strait's Scenic Loop Cafe with great food and booze. My son and I got wrecked.

So, hung over like a dog this morning, I'm heading out this afternoon to play Pearsall Park with some friends.

Woodpecker

Last edited:
Since I was stuck out in Oklahoma for the holiday's with no family in the area I decided to head out and play a local course in Oklahoma City. I played the Dolese Youth Park course on christmas day. The course was great, but I am still trying to get used to this Oklahoma "Wind Golf."

Christmas Disc Golf

Since I work for UT (which is under the State of Texas), I got two weeks vacations at Christmas. I took an extra day at the beginning for the heck of it.

Here is what I did:
12/19: 1 round at Pease Park in Austin, TX
12/22: 2 rounds at East Metro Park in Manor, TX
12/25: 1 round at Searight in Austin, TX
12/26: 1 round at Searight in Austin, TX
12/28: 2 rounds at East Metro in Manor, TX

Planned:
A couple more rounds at Pease Park in Austin, TX
A couple of rounds north of Austin (Brushy Creek, Old Settlers, Willco)
A couple or three rounds at Steeplechase in Kyle, TX
A couple more rounds at East Metro in Manor, TX (cause it is the best damn course in the area, :) )

Since I work for UT (which is under the State of Texas), I got two weeks vacations at Christmas. I took an extra day at the beginning for the heck of it.

Here is what I did:
12/19: 1 round at Pease Park in Austin, TX
12/22: 2 rounds at East Metro Park in Manor, TX
12/25: 1 round at Searight in Austin, TX
12/26: 1 round at Searight in Austin, TX
12/28: 2 rounds at East Metro in Manor, TX

Planned:
A couple more rounds at Pease Park in Austin, TX
A couple of rounds north of Austin (Brushy Creek, Old Settlers, Willco)
A couple or three rounds at Steeplechase in Kyle, TX
A couple more rounds at East Metro in Manor, TX (cause it is the best damn course in the area, :) )

You got my curiousty up about East Metro Park. I hadn't noticed it before.

From the course directory and reviews, it looks like a great course. I'm going to try to head up there sometime this week.

Woodpecker

i played Pulaski Lower Course on the 26th, and Pulaski Upper Course with SimonCarr on the 27th...

Yup. I played the Pulaski Co. Park top course, first time I have played it in a couple years. It really kicked my ass - I had forgotten how hard it was! I got some good photos though, and plan on uploading them today.

I didn't play either. I had to work a 12-hour shift on Christmas day, and then it rained the whole weekend. I probably wouldn't have played anyway, though, since family takes precedence. I had a good time, and the rain made it easier not to look for excuses to "take my dog for a walk in the park this afternoon."

It looks like a severe case of global warming! 65 degrees has to be a heat wave.
Yeah, it was kinda bizarre to play in -6F, and then five days later with a 70F swing.

The high of 67 that day blew away the almost 50 year old record high of 60.

euclid_081227.jpg

I got close to enough disc golfing in over the Christmas holidays.

12/24 - 17 holes with an out of town buddy at the RM Sports Complex (my buddy Spencer's first time through the new local course and damn if we didn't somehow skip playing hole #7 - only hole in town with a pointer at the basket to the next tee and we skip a hole - go figure!)
12/25 - played all four local courses solo
12/26 - played all four local courses, last course with a friend I met up with on course #3
12/27 - 36 holes, first round in a flight of 5, second round in a flight of four
12/28 - 36 holes, one before the Panthers' game at one and another round after the game.

Wish the Christmas break from work was longer though.

You got my curiousty up about East Metro Park. I hadn't noticed it before.

From the course directory and reviews, it looks like a great course. I'm going to try to head up there sometime this week.

Woodpecker

It is an excellent course. I think it's the best Austin course now that it has signs. I just upgraded my review after playing it yesterday.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2645

In SoCal for Xmas...all new courses for me.

Whittier Narrows
Montiel
Sun Valley
Morley Field

Its in the teens right now back in Ohio and heading to play as soon as the kids go down for their naps.

Saturday, 12-27-08

Thought about going to the Woodshed and Whipping Post in Paw Paw, WV. Normally, they're about an hour drive for me. Unfortunately, with all of the rain recently I had to change my plans. There's a "low water" bridge that you have to cross to get there via the direct route. It was probably under about 6" or so of water so there was no chance of going that way.

So I went to my old standy, Shawnee State Park in Schellsburg, PA, a 9 hole course with two tee positions. Again, it's about an hour away but no problem to get to. Played 36 holes, 18 from each tee position. It was about 45 degrees when I got there and 55 when I left. It was a beautiful day. The course was a bit soggy (OK, a couple holes were downright swampy), but that's alright.

I shot -3 for each 9 from the short tees and PAR for each 9 from the long tees. I made a birdie on my last hole to get to even PAR. And on #5 I hit the chains with my drive once. That's the closest I've ever come to making a hole in one other than on the course at my house.

What a great time. :)

Latest posts