• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where Should Pro Worlds Go?

Actually only a par 54, but the course is top ten, can be extended out for gold look, and contrasts nicely with gleneagels at ~ 9000' as it is much more wooded with plenty of OB. Additionally, SF has a huge DG market, and the exposure to the sport is surely what every pro desires. Bring it!

Travel and lodging for SF is likely to be some of the most expensive in the country. Might be tough with the average pro's salary.

I would love to see Worlds in Colorado, but despite us having a crapton of courses, I don't feel that we have the proper courses within the proper distance to pull it off. I don't think staffing would be a problem, but unless we used a golf course for a temp course, it ain't gonna happen.

It's a case where we need the cart before the course.

Maybe they sell them at the pro-shop.......
if it were only open when I was there, I could verify that......

not that I need one (I have two)....

Shocked this is already a discussion when the Japan Open will likely be cancelled again AND the Aussie Open unlikely returning in 2019...thats a few major holes in the tour

Alas, in reality the first priority is someone willing and able to run worlds.

Or, the heart before the course.

Exactly. As Nova P said in another thread that maybe it's time to wean ams off of large player packs maybe it's time to wean the pros and PDGA off of their rather high event and payout expectations of these volunteer clubs.

Here's a thing...Maybe I've missed it but never once have I seen a shred of appreciation for all the volunteers that make the PDGA what it is from either HQ or the pros themselves who, by the way, are making a living off the backs of those volunteers.

Then again...maybe the appreciation is out there. I just haven't seen it - yet.

Think of the joy of hosting a PDGA world championship...raising all that added cash by going to local businesses and basically begging...then having the kick in the family jewels of having to deal with all those whiny pros complaining about the people walking behind the basket 100 yards away while trying to make a 15' putt all while being unpaid for your time...yeah, I'll pass.

Point is, as an outsider to these events looking in...it appears to me that the PDGA really needs to start creating incentives for people to volunteer to host these events. Are there any incentives?

Just returned from a road trip to Madison, WI. out of KC. What beautiful courses they have... I vote for Madison, WI.

Shocked this is already a discussion when the Japan Open will likely be cancelled again AND the Aussie Open unlikely returning in 2019...thats a few major holes in the tour

The PDGA released big packages for 2019 majors. This is what started this discussion.

Selah would need toughened a bit....hopefully not with artificial means (rope)....but would be really cool. Lodging might also be an issue......not sure the hotel situation in Mt Vernon. What's a good guess on number of rooms needed? I suppose Mt Pleasant could be used.

BRP and visionquest and ham lake

Just returned from a road trip to Madison, WI. out of KC. What beautiful courses they have... I vote for Madison, WI.

Selah would need toughened a bit....hopefully not with artificial means (rope)....but would be really cool. Lodging might also be an issue......not sure the hotel situation in Mt Vernon. What's a good guess on number of rooms needed? I suppose Mt Pleasant could be used.

AM Worlds definitely makes more sense for that area. Lots of good quality INT/ADV level courses, no Gold level courses.

So by suggesting these courses do we know for a fact that there are clubs in those areas ready, willing and able to host these giant events? Or are these suggestions just wild fantasies?

:popcorn:

So by suggesting these courses do we know for a fact that there are clubs in those areas ready, willing and able to host these giant events? Or are these suggestions just wild fantasies?

:popcorn:
Just areas with good courses.

And not to switch gears too fast but Pro Worlds is a very different kind of work than AM Worlds. Especially for those thinking that a temp course on a traditional golf courese is the way for Pro Worlds. Paying for the temp course (and the added cash for payout) means you have to spend a huge amount of effort and time fundraising. Atleast with AM Worlds you have the actual event fee to help cover some of the expense of a temp course.

These two would make a fantastic and challenging worlds experience in Maine! Porcupine Ridge is solid with 6700ft of length and a great mix of open and wooded shots (and a 4.0 rating over 12 reviews). Ghost Tree is simply astounding. It's a new course, but they spent years making it before it opened. The whites in place now are over 8000ft with only 7 par 3s out of 18 and legitimate pars for even the pros. Once the golds are finished, they will offer over 10,000ft of golf. Maine has some serious local pros with 1000+ ratings, and they are all raving about Ghost Tree. It doesn't hurt that it's a gorgeous piece of land (check out the other course on the property, Quarry Run) with manicured fairways, rolling hills, and mature white birch trees dotting the landscape and greens. And no, I don't work there or anything :D

Porcupine Ridge - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4768

Ghost Tree - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8735

Just areas with good courses.

And not to switch gears too fast but Pro Worlds is a very different kind of work than AM Worlds. Especially for those thinking that a temp course on a traditional golf courese is the way for Pro Worlds. Paying for the temp course (and the added cash for payout) means you have to spend a huge amount of effort and time fundraising. Atleast with AM Worlds you have the actual event fee to help cover some of the expense of a temp course.

Ahhh ok so this thread is just everyone posting their fantasies.
:rolleyes:

And volunteering other people's time lol

How very DGCR

Latest posts