• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which company will be gone by 2014

Which will be out of business by end of 2014

• Innova

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Discraft

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • MVP

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Vibram

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Dynamic disc

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Westside

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Lat 64

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Lightning

Votes: 139 55.8%
  • Gateway

Votes: 31 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 91 36.5%

• Total voters
Hopefully none will be gone, just absorbed into other companies. There is much more to staying in business than making popular molds. You need the right people running companies with good business sense instead of just having a company that ends up being an expensive hobby for the owner. Curious if Quest is still around? They have come up with some interesting molds over the years but I have not heard much about them in past 3-4 years.

I only see quest in the discontinued box at discovering the world.

I think it will be a good year. everyone survjves. I'm trying to get people started up. hopefully a lot of other people are too. those peopke need to buy discs. they buy whatever we tell them to, or whatever the numbskull behind the register steers them to. more discs bought. hopefully not just the big guns.

Gotta be lightening, everyone else has been pumping out new prodcuts but it seems like they're in stuck in neutral.

Well SkyIron is already dead and I'm not sure how DKG is doing either. Skyquest is still a questionable outfit.

The ones listed in the Poll are quite stable for the time being.

Only the very small companies have a chance at going under within a couple years. Like was mentioned, all the ones in the poll are quite safe for now.

As far as the big companies go, I think there's a better chance that a large outside company buys them out. Think of the Nike Roc.

As long as there are head shops, I'm thinking Lightning is doing just fine.

If you forget to put a company on the poll, chances are they could be gone in 5 years. DGA(Discraft)?Millenium(innova)? So chances are we would probably see a merg/buyout before we lose a company and their molds.

More likely that some of these bag makers get thinned out once the big companies add backpacks to their bag lineups.

My biggest concern will be the companies that sell the discs, the distributors.The profit margins for discs is way too low for a lot of these companies to survive.
A few have gone, a few more will be gone in the next year or two.

And with Walmart starting to carry discs, this becomes an even greater concern. You should support your disc golf stores and not buy disc brands that are sold in corporations like Walmart. Franchises (gas station, 711, etc)are a different thing all together.
I really do think its just going to come down to the TD stores and online retailers for the actual "dg stores", the only brick and mortars i can see lasting are in the "mecca" areas.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

Dynamic, MVP, Westside, Prodigy, Prodiscus, Legacy are all new comers (to pumping out large amounts of disc molds) and some will get weeded out.

Dynamic has a big midwest following and I think they will easily hang on for the year.
MVP saved themeslves from the gateway curse (people thinking all they can make are putters)
Prodigy has the big names and a unique plastic, but they have had a few hiccups; The massive release of illegal discs and the UV quality control issues. They are so hyped that they will easily last the year.

I feel that Westside has done a lot of great things lately, but I think they will eventually become Lat 64 molds.

Prodiscus had some issues with molds not matching when changing plastics and even though I love the Jokeri, I do not think they will make it in the long run in the United States without a huge new release.

Legacy will survive, they have a large street team that keeps their discs selling.

Vibram will live since they are the only rubber discs

Gateway can live forever on just Wizards and Magics. I think the Warlock and Voodoo will make a comeback.

Millenium and discmania will live with Innova's support

I predict DGA will suprise people this year. I hope the breaker is huge for them.

Quest will hang on using a different name and pawning inferior crap on PIAS.

Lightning's fan base is getting too old to play :p

So in recap, I think ABC will be the first casualty, followed by Prodiscus, Lightning, Quest and Westside, but not for atleast 2-3 years.

Last edited:
I don't really know a whole lot about Lightning, but I don't think any of these companies are going anywhere. Even Gateway, who is my personal favorite. They supposedly sell as many Wizards as the rest of their molds combined, and could probably stay alive just selling Wizards. Their putters really opened my eyes to the rest of their lineup that is highly underrated, and I don't think they are any more inconsistent than other companies. Ever thrown a Sabre or Element? You'd be surprised.

Vibram? No way. Unmatched durability and grip. Gaining a cult like following.

Innova? Discraft? No way. Too much history and decades of momentum.

MVP? No way. Another cult like following with several molds selling like crazy.

Yeah, I recently got my club to start getting Gateway discs for players packs because of the cost saved, love my Wizards, and in the last couple of years they have added some great non-putter molds as well. The Slayer is my go to ultra long (this is what Innova wishes the Teedevil could've been, feels like my Destroyer in the hand, but has closer to a faster Archon stability, for an arm my size it gets a really straight low fade drive, I noticed the Tern wing looks suspiciously similar), the Karma and Mystic (similar to a Comet but I think these are little more forgiving) are good mid range molds that fill the gaps and the Demon is the only real competitor to the Drone, and those new more stable candy E Apaches look sweet while the Assassin is a favorite of anyone I've ever seen throw one. The one thing they really need is another distance driver on the flippy side, something in the speed range/rim width of the Illusion, but designed with the purpose of being a competitor to the Beast, TD Rush, or Avenger SS.

Latest posts