• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Which discs are most helpful?

Crave, Alias, Envy. When I use another disc and try a new or clever line, these are the discs I should have thrown every time.

For me the most useful are ones that are very predictable.

Firebird and Harp see me through many though holes. I often wonder how I played without them, and then I remember, " oh yeah, not well".

Very understable discs I can't really use. Things like Valks, Comets, Vulcan etc can be very impressive in the right hands.

Those hands are not attached to my body.

Helpful, probably the Rival, one I can trust with both back- and forehand. Granted, I can trust more faster discs as well, but they don't go all that far with my weaker backhand, Rival goes about as far as any disc in my bag and handles headwinds nicely too (Legend plastic). Really probably should be using it for upshots BH and FH over...

Least helpful, Ghost. Keep going back to it, but mids and me just don't gel. Threw some nice straight shots today, but all but one went long, luckily managed to make most of the comebackers. Instead, what I probably should've done was spike-hyzer the Rival in those same spots. Hopefully Legacy will bring out a truly OS mid like Rico mentioned in his AMA.

Lids are sweet but personally when I threw my rattler often it didn't save me a single stroke nor make anything easier. It was just a slower disc than a typical aviar style putter and I much prefer the way the roach feels than my rattler.

Fair enough.

I'd agree that most discs in a lid-like shape can be replaced by other discs. If I really wanted to, my polecats could be replaced by my beaten up aviar for sure. This is a true dog lid, though, and behaves much differently than a disc, which saves me strokes. :)

What are the five best discs of all time? Think about it. Tank, tank, tank, tank, and tank. Because it spits hot fire.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 13
I carry 18 discs to my daily course and the benefits of it being a daily play means I know what I'm going to throw on each hole and at each drop. When I'm on unfamiliar turf I have a few tried and tested discs that make up the majority of my shots. Love just a standard DX beast for most of my drives. Cheap, easily replaceable at walmart and I love how it fly's. Z-line buzzz for the majority of my mid range shots and a wizard to finish out. Those 3 are my normal go to discs unless I get in a pinch then I'll start breaking out utilities. I also switch things up and try out new plastic alot. I've been playing with both an Assassin and an Apache in place of the beast and have loved the results. Tried both an element and a warrior in place of the buzzz.....meh. Usable but not in the same caliber. I also like keep a greater speed midrange to compliment the buzzz if I need that little extra umph if I fall short of where I wanted to be. So I carry a warship and really love it. I've also used both a truth and a claymore in that spot. Lost both last year, picked up a couple of truth's this year but until I wrote this I forgot they are sitting in my desk drawer at work........oops. :)

Fair enough.

I'd agree that most discs in a lid-like shape can be replaced by other discs. If I really wanted to, my polecats could be replaced by my beaten up aviar for sure. This is a true dog lid, though, and behaves much differently than a disc, which saves me strokes. :)

Hey if it actually saves you a stroke over your aviar or makes a deuce or layup easier than your aviar it's useful right?

At my local course a stable putter is probably the most usefu, assuming the player wielding it knows what they're doing. Two of the top players at our league (984 & 950 rated) threw their putters when everyone else reached for a mid. It was a classic Wizard vs Aviar battle.....the Wizard player won

Helpful:
1. Serpent. I putt okay with it (sometimes) even when my putting sucks.
2. Polecat. Simplifies approach game immensely, occasionally saves strokes on low % shots.
3. Breaker. Keeps me on fairway of lots of wooded holes with easy straightness.
4. Banshee. Saves my ass when I do get off the FW with god-like rolling and thumber ability.
5. Fuse. US disc I know the most well. Potentially not helpful if I've been a torque monkey too much.
6. Real Distance drivers (Giant, Kings, Swords). Previously unhelpful, form is good enough that these actually go far enough to save strokes occasionally. Giant in particular skips me into birdie opportunities smaller rimmed drivers wouldn't.

Not helpful:
1. OS midrange. Rarely carry one anyway, Breaker and Banshee covers it.
2. Other midranges. I don't play enough multi-throw holes (aka I don't live in Charlotte) where these really become useful.
3. Stable drivers from FWs to speed 9-10. I love my Eagles and PDs but their usefulness is more comfort/familiarity related than practical (again, b/c I don't live in Charlotte).
4. Roller disc. BH rollers are rarely necessary although I do like having the option when I travel/compete.

I'll chime in again. Previously I put my Buzzz in the unhelpful category. I recant this sacrilegious nonsense.

As for unhelpful:
1. Nuke SS - can perform some magic turnover shots both forehand and backhand; but during rounds, it's been tempting me into shots I've made once or twice but can't make consistently. This has been getting me into trouble lately.
2. Surge - I actually love throwing them both FH and BH, but I haven't found any shots I can't make with a higher speed driver or a Predator; out of the bag for now, but I'm sure one will make it back before long

Latest posts