• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Famous Athlete would Dominate Disc Golf?

Speaking of ball golf, I'm still waiting for any disc golf organization or company to leverage the fact that Bubba Watson (PDGA #44745 & Masters Champion, twice) has been a dues paying PDGA member for years.

Does anyone know anything about his experience with disc golf? Has anyone played with him? Why has he been a PDGA member? Is it serious or some kind of gag?

Any discussion about growing the sport that ignores celebrities who play disc golf, like Bubba and Paul Walker, for example, is a waste of time.

Speaking of ball golf, I'm still waiting for any disc golf organization or company to leverage the fact that Bubba Watson (PDGA #44745 & Masters Champion, twice) has been a dues paying PDGA member for years.

Does anyone know anything about his experience with disc golf? Has anyone played with him? Why has he been a PDGA member? Is it serious or some kind of gag?

Any discussion about growing the sport that ignores celebrities who play disc golf, like Bubba and Paul Walker, for example, is a waste of time.

Any disc golf organization or company? What about the PDGA? They've posted plenty of articles regarding Bubba's membership.

Eh. Ultimate throws are ostensibly the same technique as disc golf but not really. Most ultimate players have some funky nose up snap heavy disc golf throws that don't translate great

Sounds like you haven't played much ultimate

I think any if the multi sport athletes would do pretty well, Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders come to mind. They have ridiculous muscle memory that would translate over well.

Vlad Guerrero was mentioned by someone, and I think I'd agree. I've seen him hit a ball that was nearly in the dirt over the fence. I also think a lot of the big league pitchers could do well, as well as anyone that's spent a lot of time at third base. That quick throw from third to first that they have to get down would crush a disc.

Eh. Ultimate throws are ostensibly the same technique as disc golf but not really. Most ultimate players have some funky nose up snap heavy disc golf throws that don't translate great

Sounds like you haven't played much ultimate

Lol. Yeah there's a difference between the recreational "air bounce" thrower and a solid ultimate player who can pull all the way across the field, both forehand and backhand, with clean form. I'm pretty sure Brodie Smith could become a 1000 rated player with relatively minimal work. Forehand, backhand, and overhand game are starting from a pretty decent spot.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's already tried and realized there's no potential; but I think it's more likely that he is already maximizing his financial potential from disc sports and has no reason to change things up by breaking into the disc golf world.

I actually think a good pro bowler would do well at disc golf. The focus on precisely repeating the same footwork and release over and over would likely carry over to a strong mental game and focus on mechanics.

Bowling: Jason Belmonte (The ability to replicate an accurate movement over and over, which would especially translate to putting)

Golf: Jordan Spieth (an athletic guy who can overcome the mental game and make shots when it counts)

Basketball: Kevin Durant (Curry and a number of others would be good too, but I'm guessing Durant would get effortless distance with that wingspan and never be behind a bush he couldn't putt around)

Baseball: Clayton Kershaw (I'd like to see a bunch of Pro Pitchers try their hand at our game. Forehand and overhand drives will translate easily, and pinpoint accuracy would help with putting)

Football: Aaron Rodgers (His ability to throw accurately is rarely matched)

Tennis: Novak Djokovic (Very similar motions to DG, power, accuracy, and individual game)

Basketball: Kevin Durant (Curry and a number of others would be good too, but I'm guessing Durant would get effortless distance with that wingspan and never be behind a bush he couldn't putt around)

This response made me laugh at the thought of KD's arm extending Space Jam style and poking out of giant shrub to throw an upshot

Apsh...Bo Jackson wishes he was Jim Thorpe.

Hopefully this was a joke.

Thorpe was before all of our times, but hard to believe anyone being a better athlete than Bo. Other than his football/baseball/track exploits, I think he is a world class archer now. The old Nike commercials may be influencing me a bit, but Bo would be good at whatever he tried. Dude played ML baseball with an artificial hip.