• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which feels better, a short hole ace or long hole fairway ace?

Jmorri67

Par Member
Like the title says, which would you rather have, an ace on a short hole (150ish) or a longer hole fairway ace (say, 200+ feet? however you want to define it)?

I got to thinking about this today while playing at a short course in the area (Admiral Farragut http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=474&mode=ci). On the first hole, tossed my PA4 down and hit the top of the basket, literally 3 inches from an ace. During the same round, I hit the basket on hole 9 after a bad roller left me a good 200-250 feet out.

As cool as it was to nearly get my first ace, I felt a lot more accomplished after the second shot. Thoughts?

My first and only ace was a throw to a short placement where I missed my intended line... it went straight in instead of hyzering in.

The "field aces" I've hit from over 200 or more give me much more pleasure. They usually are just perfectly thrown the way I envisioned the shot and the splash of the chains that far away is very fulfilling.

That said, on a recent road trip to Des Moines, I splashed out a perfectly thrown skip shot from the tee on a 350+ shot... that would've beat them all. I guess what I'm really saying is that size does matter.

For me it's more about the difficulty of the shot. Hitting a tight gap for a 150' shot is more fun to me than hitting a wide open 200' shot regardless of which one was from a tee.

My only fairway ace was much more pleasing than any of my aces. Golden state hole 9. About 550-600ft par 4. First throw shanked left leaving me about 300-350 out, pulled out my beefy destroyer and threw a big hyzer to spike so I didn't skip out leaving me with a tough putt. Boom smashed right in the chains for the eagle. My grandmaster friend I was playing with was pissed due to his being about 4ft too low for the same eagle.

Longer the ace, the better it feels!

Although, if you can hit the shorter ace or at least the basket fairly consistently than that is more skill and less luck, which feels even better!

Either shot is awesome. I've hit five aces, but my longest shot into the basket was a non-ace throw.

There is also no such thing as a "field ace" or "fairway ace". There are long birdies, and when the distance is appropriate, eagles. Why disc golfers continue to use those misnomer terms is beyond me.

^
And not that I want to get into another argument over the semantics of that, although by the time I wake up in the morning and check this thread, I'm sure the floodgates will be plenty open.

Ignoring the fairway ace argument... (which there is no such thing)....

I'd rather hit an ace any day of the week, but I'd say hitting a bomb birdie/ eagle is 99% as great of a feeling. Maybe even 99.5%. But nothing feels better than those chattering chains while you're still standing on the tee.

Hit an Eagle from about 120 feet this weekend, and although it felt great, it felt nowhere near as good as an Ace. But then my shortest ace was about 230 feet.

Which feels better?? Still waiting on first ACE... but if given a choice I'll take an ACE every time!!!!... I agree with the Fairway ACE comments (confusing), ACE= one shot in this newbies mind..

So you're saying an actual Ace or a Long Birdie?

Ace tops it every time. Casual or for coin, a 1 looks so much better than a 2 on a score card.

Still waiting on my first real ace, though I've gotten metal several times lately. I did have two throw in birdies in the same round last month! One from 150ft and one from about 125ft. They were quite satisfying, but I still really want to card a 1.

Draining a long shot from the fairway is very satisfying, but dropping one in the chains from the tee and putting up a '1' on the scorecard is hard to beat.

I get to write 2 on the scorecard in most rounds.

I rarely get to write a 1.

Throwing from a tee into the basket always feels better than throwing in from the fairway.

As long as it is a legit Eagle then the longer shot feels better. If I had to drain the long shot just for a birdie then something was wrong and I didn't make up as many throws, if any, on the field. Even better still would be a 2 on a Par-5, no matter the distance I hit it from.

The short ace. Rather have a 1 on the scorecard than a 2 :)

This^^^^

Don't want to threadjack, but I've heard and used the term "field ace" for years.
BTW, if you let me know you're sensitive about it, I'll make sure that I don't use the term around you. But really, is that enough to get charged up about???

Last edited:

Latest posts