• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who's playing the Ozark Mountain Open?

Watch out for ticks. My partner from the doubles a few weeks ago picked a few up and ended up with Lyme disease. He flicked one off mid round but got home and found a few on him, guess that was enough time for him to get sick.

Really want to play one of these someday soon, but I believe that's the same weekend as our annual users conference in Branson... so I'll be at Journey Post First Stop - PDGA B-Tier that weekend. Next time!

I love this place. Great courses, great people and great host.

I can't make it this time, but I would strongly recommend it to anyone going. Some of the most fun golf I've ever played, and a cool event in general.

I will Be in STL the 9th and 10th for a widespread panic concert , my girlfriend has work that monday or i would make the drive early and just camp out for a couple nights

Watch out for ticks. My partner from the doubles a few weeks ago picked a few up and ended up with Lyme disease. He flicked one off mid round but got home and found a few on him, guess that was enough time for him to get sick.

:sick: Seriously.. the ticks are already out!?

hows your buddy doing?

I'm planning on going but I hate ticks sooo bad!

It never really got cold enough to kill off the ticks and by the time of dubs I was picking them off my dogs. It snowed a couple of times since then and I have not seen anything for a few weeks, so it might be OK for OMO.

It snowed right before dubs, so I doubt this snow did anything that didn't ...

I'll be there, fo shizzo

Yeah, a guy on my card at dubs picked off about 3 of them during our round. I think he was attracting them all, however, because I didn't get any.

I always treat my clothes and tent with Permethrin before going out there for the weekend. You gotta wear long sleeves and pants there anyway (as anyone that has been off the fairway knows), so this usually covers me pretty well. Note - if you do go this route, try to avoid spraying yourself with deet as well. Permethrin is non-toxic to humans because the skin does a great job of blocking it from entering the body, but deet weakens that barrier and may allow Permethrin in... Ticks aren't afraid of deet anyway, and there aren't any mosquitoes out yet, so there's no reason to put on deet.

I'll be there. Can't wait for some rugged disc golf to kick the season off.

Yeah, a guy on my card at dubs picked off about 3 of them during our round. I think he was attracting them all, however, because I didn't get any.

I always treat my clothes and tent with Permethrin before going out there for the weekend. You gotta wear long sleeves and pants there anyway (as anyone that has been off the fairway knows), so this usually covers me pretty well. Note - if you do go this route, try to avoid spraying yourself with deet as well. Permethrin is non-toxic to humans because the skin does a great job of blocking it from entering the body, but deet weakens that barrier and may allow Permethrin in... Ticks aren't afraid of deet anyway, and there aren't any mosquitoes out yet, so there's no reason to put on deet.

Permethrin is great stuff, but be careful if you have cats. It's very toxic to cats, though it's used on dogs as a flea/tick repellent regularly.

:sick: Seriously.. the ticks are already out!?

hows your buddy doing?

I'm planning on going but I hate ticks sooo bad!

He's doing ok from what I could tell, said the spots where he found them had red rings a day or 2 afterwards and a few days later he woke up from a nap and the room was spinning so he went to the doc. They have him some antibiotics and he's good to go.

I wore pants and a long sleeve shirt and considered changing into shorts because it was like 60 out that weekend. He was wearing shorts and a long sleeve shirt and figured that there wouldn't be any ticks out that early. I'm just glad I opted to not change.

You never want to wear shorts at Ozark anyway ;) Unless you think you can stay in the fairway at all times. I remember a guy playing on my card in fall of 2010 in shorts and a t-shirt (I think it was in the 70s that day) and by the end of the round he was bleeding from so many cuts that I had to go to my car and get him Neosporin and some band-aids.

I finally took a 3 on 1-800 when I played there in late January. I also took a 3 on hole 8 last fall and again in dubs. I still want to take a 3 on 16 now that it's been cleared out, deuce hole 4, and take a 3 on hole 5. Hole 5 upsets me. I get my drive out there on a somewhat regular basis for the lay up 3 but always mess up my lay up. :eek:

My buddy chained out for a DEUCE on 18 last spring. Took a drop in 3. I can't imagine myself ever taking a 3 on that hole unless it's a throw-in.

I should also point out that taking a 3 on 8 was only possible because of the clearing they did closer to the pond. I'm a little bummed about all the clearing that has been going on over the past few years. The course plays a few strokes easier now than it did 3 years ago.

Clearing on hole 8 I don't mind. But all the trees taken out on 17 are a bummer. The tree that forced a low shot on hole 2 is also gone, which makes that hole easier. The tree that blocked so many drives on 18 is gone. Hole 16 is still a great hole despite all the clearing. I have a hard time deciding on which hole I like better - the new 16 or the old monster. They're very different holes.

Let's not even talk about what all this tree clearing has done to Akitas :( If you haven't played there since last fall expect to see more trees missing on 3, 4, 9.

Latest posts