• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

-On a long put I use a longer and more glide type disc from a standstill and then miss my 25" comeback. But... I want to start learning a jump put with my standard putter so my 15" comeback will miss more consistently.

I never jump putt, I think it's completely pointless. It may work for some people but not me. I feel like jumping adds too much variability to your putt and often does more harm than good. Depending on the distance I will either throw it or do a sort of throw/putt kind of deal. Long distance putts of LDP's I call 'em.

Of course, putting is always a work in progress :)

You're doing it wrong. Shouldn't add any variables but power. The whole point is to decrease the number of variables you need to have to get the disc a certain distance.

You're doing it wrong. Shouldn't add any variables but power. The whole point is to decrease the number of variables you need to have to get the disc a certain distance.

The mere fact that you're moving IS another variable. :|

The mere fact that you're moving IS another variable. :|

To gain distance, you add variables. Putt-jumping adds the fewest. It should just be a greater weight shift. Not a completely new variable, just an increase to variables. Every putt has movement.

Step putts have enough of a weight shift that stopping that momentum is either detrimental to health, or impossible.

Jump putts have enough weight shift that your lead foot recoils off the ground.

Last edited:
Nonsense. You're adding an up-and-down motion to your putt when it is normally grounded. This changes your perception of the basket as well as your motion and release point of the putt. It is ideal to keep your plane of vision on the x axis when you putt because then you can stay in line with the basket, but once you start moving on the y axis it can throw off your shot since it changes your perception.

Of course, different things work for different people. But jumping on any other shot will certainly mess with it, so why is putting any different? I understand the principles of the jump putt/putt jump, I just feel like it's not for me. I have been getting pretty decent at making shots/hitting the basket from outside the circle so that's a technique I would like to stick with.

Nonsense. You're adding an up-and-down motion to your putt when it is normally grounded. This changes your perception of the basket as well as your motion and release point of the putt. It is ideal to keep your plane of vision on the x axis when you putt because then you can stay in line with the basket, but once you start moving on the y axis it can throw off your shot since it changes your perception.

Of course, different things work for different people. But jumping on any other shot will certainly mess with it, so why is putting any different? I understand the principles of the jump putt/putt jump, I just feel like it's not for me. I have been getting pretty decent at making shots/hitting the basket from outside the circle so that's a technique I would like to stick with.

Sounds like an illegal putt-jump to me. Look how much "plane of vision on the y axis" change there is here:

Last edited:
Sounds like an illegal putt-jump to me. Look how much "plane of vision on the y axis" change there is here:
:confused:

What are you talking about? Not only is he not jumping in this video, but I don't care to figure whether or not I have practiced a correct jump putt. Yes, his eye-level changes slightly but it's not even comparable to what I am talking about. The motion of jumping creates a significant difference in your view of the basket, unless you jump straight across the path you are viewing.

There's almost a full foot of head movement. The further out, the more shift, the more head movement. My head probably doesn't move 2" at 10', but it probably moves close to 12" at 30'. Even if there's no movement, I don't think you make a good case for needing to maintain planes while putting.

What extra variables are you talking about? You can't be off the ground when you release the disc, so "the motion of jumping" isn't added to the putting motion.

edit: my argument for it not mattering if your planes change is that if you practice it, you perceive a particular thing happening every time you putt; so the change doesn't affect anything.

Last edited:
There's almost a full foot of head movement. The further out, the more shift, the more head movement. My head probably doesn't move 2" at 10', but it probably moves close to 12" at 30'. Even if there's no movement, I don't think you make a good case for needing to maintain planes while putting.

What extra variables are you talking about? You can't be off the ground when you release the disc, so "the motion of jumping" isn't added to the putting motion.

edit: my argument for it not mattering if your planes change is that if you practice it, you perceive a particular thing happening every time you putt; so the change doesn't affect anything.

MICHIGAN-FAN.gif

:D Sorry, I don't know what point you are trying to make. I mean, I can go out and practice jump putting until I get it if you want me to, but I am sticking to my assertion that what's right for some may not be right for all. From my experience jump putting isn't any better than throwing the disc. It can be good or bad. Just stick with what feels right. And I'm not one to talk up my game, but I believe that I am decently good at putting. I'm sure that I'll change some things as I go but for now I have worked to a point where I am pretty comfortable in my putting routine.

My point is that you shouldn't go out and practice jump putting. You should try to increase your putting distance by increasing the power that comes from your lower body. You'll get to a point where you start to step through. I haven't gotten to a jump putt yet, so I couldn't swear it's the same process, but I think it is.

And then there's the possibility that I am doing it wrong; but I've had enough success with it I don't think that's the case.

Michigan games look fun!

Your really not adding an up and down motion since the disc has to leave your hand before you leave the ground it's just a more exaggerated weight shift. By the time of the up and down the disc is on its way to the basket and therefore not a variable of your putt.

Aim for the Chains- 41
Horsman- 32
Stardoggy- 14
Tpro- 12

Someone has either way too much time on their hands, or is way too invested in this trivial matter.

Jump Putting is something that some people do, and some don't. Yet, pretty much every single Touring Pro does Jump-putt or step-putt. In fact, I'd really like to know what the percentage of top 100 Pros who use a step or jump putt from between 50-80. Anywhere up to 40 is pretty easy to knock down without a jump for them, but I know out of the top 10 pros in the world a majority of them would jump-putt if they were around 50-60 feet.

Stop hating, stop trolling, throw some frisbees.

Aim for the Chains- 41
Horsman- 32
Stardoggy- 14
Tpro- 12

Someone has either way too much time on their hands, or is way too invested in this trivial matter.

Says the guy who counted our posts. lol

I was just trying not to let AFTC infect more peoples minds with his bs. And its my off season now so I gots lots of time.

I've always felt more comfortable jump putting than an approach shot, so that's what I've done. Recently I've been using the left leg action that Wysocki uses and I like it, gonna practice it out past the circle and see if it helps to maybe 40 feet or so.

Anybody can jump putt, its annoying to hear people complain they got beat by somebody who "cheats" . if you actively choose to not jump putt it waives your right to complain about somebody using it to beat you.

Aim for the Chains- 41
Horsman- 32
Stardoggy- 14
Tpro- 12

Jump Putting is something that some people do, and some don't. Yet, pretty much every single Touring Pro does Jump-putt or step-putt. In fact, I'd really like to know what the percentage of top 100 Pros who use a step or jump putt from between 50-80. Anywhere up to 40 is pretty easy to knock down without a jump for them, but I know out of the top 10 pros in the world a majority of them would jump-putt if they were around 50-60 feet.

Stop hating, stop trolling, throw some frisbees.

* Spends time counting people's posts in thread

* Tells those people they have too much time on their hands

Top pros doing something is a great reason to do something. They invest countless hours more than I do, why wouldn't I try and mirror something successful?

Anyone saying that it isn't smart to jump putt clearly is just trying to troll. There have been arguments to ban jump putts because they provide too much of an advantage.

It's more accurate than approach shots. It's awesome. Winners do it.