• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

No matter a persons putting technique it only works out to a certain point before they have to use more of a throwing motion. People jump putt & step putt to extend the range they can still face the basket while use a modified version of their normal putting motion, so they don't have to use a standstill/compact runup throw. If you don't have to use a throwing motion you gain accuarcy in my experience. I think I'm more accurate doing a step or jump putt than I am doing a standstill throw up to around 75'-100'. I personally prefer to step putt rather than jump putt. At a certain range (never measured it I just eye it on the course) I have to jump putt because it gives me more distance than a step putt.

well, i hardly think an issue like this could be resolved in a forum anyway, but it's nice to discuss and address the limitations of the sport and our current methods of enforcing rules.

other foot hits before release I believe...

Thats what I see. Left foot hits the ground before the release. Maybe we need a major league umpire to settle this... Upon further review, the left foot absolutely hits the ground, beyond the lie, before the disc is released. Therefore, it is a fault.

Last edited:
I'll have to watch it again now, but it looked clean when I saw it the first time. Maybe I missed it. I just wish I could watch embedded vids from my phone. It always says..."something went wrong..."

click the pause/play button as fast as possible--that's how I see "frame by frame". I wasn't going to even say anything in reply as its pretty obvious IMO but even the commentator makes remarks on the video which you never really hear.

I never jump putt, I think it's completely pointless. It may work for some people but not me. I feel like jumping adds too much variability to your putt and often does more harm than good. Depending on the distance I will either throw it or do a sort of throw/putt kind of deal. Long distance putts of LDP's I call 'em.

Of course, putting is always a work in progress :)

I though they were useless until I made one in practice. Now they're a staple in my game.

Schwebby's putts are still too close to call guys. The first one is definitely good. The second putt is so bang-bang that it's inconclusive. Unless you can post a freeze frame. With the naked eye there's no way I'd feel comfortable calling someone on those two putts.

For those who are new, here's the rule:

802.04 Throwing from a Stance

A. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

B. When the disc is released, a player must:

1. Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,

2. Have no supporting point in contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,

3. Have all supporting points in-bounds.

C. Supporting point contact with or beyond the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when putting.

D. Putting: Any throw from within 10 meters of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is a putt. Supporting point contact closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released is a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target.

E. A player shall receive a warning for the first stance violation in the round. Subsequent stance violations in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty. Stance violations may not be called or seconded by the thrower.

F. Any throw made from an illegal stance is disregarded. A re-throw must be taken from the original lie, prior to subsequent play by others in the group.

His left foot becomes a supporting point when it hits the ground. No supporting point can be closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc (the lie). The question is whether the disc was released before that foot hit, or not.