• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

^ i hear you, but those sports also have the resources to dispute in cases where something was screwed up, namely instant replay with high quality cameras and referees to judge.

it really irks me that we have to let these things go uncertain. there should be no grey area, and i personally do not feel it's necessarily a troll topic as it has inspired some sort of meaningful discussion despite off-topic. who is going to make the call unless it's completely obvious? all the other sports adopted a method of checking to make sure rules are adhered to. we should as well.

exactly. basically why I don't like doing that style of putt b/c I feel salty about it not even knowing if I should call a foot fault on myself and then focusing on that part of the putt isn't something I wanted to deal with either. I KNOW im not foot faulting outside of 30' no questions asked or strokes lost.

do what works but NFL reviews every touchdown now to improve the integrity of the game... weird concept to some of you I guess. I never was trolling any jump putters either IVE DONE MY FAIR SHARE OF TRYING OUT PUTTS AND SEEING DIFFERENT GREENS THANKS'

^ i hear you, but those sports also have the resources to dispute in cases where something was screwed up, namely instant replay with high quality cameras and referees to judge.

it really irks me that we have to let these things go uncertain. there should be no grey area, and i personally do not feel it's necessarily a troll topic as it has inspired some sort of meaningful discussion despite off-topic. who is going to make the call unless it's completely obvious? all the other sports adopted a method of checking to make sure rules are adhered to. we should as well.

True, but did you see the Not Top 10 plays today? A pro soccer game was thrown by a bad call...but I digress because soccer has too much "human error" allowed compared to NBA and NFL.

So yeah, you are right.

But the principle is the same.

And yes, I agree there needs to be a means of checking...but that seems too far fetched because it would require technology and personnel to manage the technology and use it on the course.

How does the PGA do it? Don't they have guys that walk the course during tourneys to discuss disputed lies and such? I was at the Well Fargo 'Ship and saw them. Could sanctioned tourneys have the same thing (or do they already? I don't compete...wouldn't know).

its up to players to call the foot faults and there can be an official or someone at a tourney and obviously the Tournament Director who can have final say on a call which is questionable there is not enough $ or volunteers available to have a third party police such rules unfortunately.

and that's why it sucks.

either you get rid of jump/walking putts entirely to make sure the rules are adhered to . . . or you deal with it.

i think a happy compromise would be just to say that you have to release your disc while your feet are still behind your lie. after, that who cares.

then you can jump putt all you like. no walkthrough putting, but i feel that's a dubious way to putt anyway. it may be best to say a putt is only a putt when you assume a putting stance, but within 10 meters you must demonstrate balance.

who knows. anyway.

people jump putt because for them it's easier to putt from farther away. tadaa.

Last edited:
I don't know how many times this has to be said in these threads, people who putt jump have committed a foot fault. People that putt jump are doing it right. Carry on

I don't know how many times this has to be said in these threads, people who putt jump have committed a foot fault. People that putt jump are doing it right. Carry on

And I dont know how many times this has to be said but, Its called a Jump Putt because it sounds better, and rolls off the tongue easier. No one disputes that the putt is completed before the jump is, it si just easier to say jump putt.

but aren't most "putt jumps" I guess in question always that close? I don't think anyone is wondering about when someone is a foot in the air or obviously ahead of their lie because that's clear to anyone. Just because its close enough doesn't mean it shouldn't matter-- lots of things in this game are a matter of centimeters from OB to max amount behind lie and so on. If those things didn't matter than lets just get rid of foot faults as they all are too close to be calling real-time with the naked eye, no?

I couldn't agree more :hfive:

See now we cant get rid of foot faults and the circle and stuff like that for one simple reason. If we did then people would start taking complete advantage of it. Right now as it is, if someone is going to try and cheat the system then they are risking that shot, and that keeps people in line. If we did away with foot faults and stuff then people would start running and dunking their putters from 30' out, and that would be rediculous.

And have you ever played with someone who constantly calls out rules violations? I have, there are 2 of them where I am from and it is the most annoying thing in the world. Do they ever get anybody to agree with them? Nope. Have you ever been called on a foot fault on a tap in? I have. The people that need to constantly enforce their undersanding of the rules are the people that dont have a high enough skill level to compete with others, and calling every little thing they think might be a violation is their way of catching up. Do you really think that if I am 1cm off my lie that I am gaining a huge advantage? If you do, you need to rethink your game. Now if their are like a couple inches off their lie, and it is something you dont need a ruler to tell then by all means call it.

I really want the game to go back to where people just played, and played correctly and didnt have to worry about winey little beaches that watch you like a hawk and wait for the opportunity to call somebody out on something so they can make themselves feel good. Just let the people play the game.

if you want to just see what I'm talking about with Brian's walking putt; go to 19 minutes and 21 minutes to see a couple of examples.

Those are clearly violations. His foot hits the ground well in front of his lie before he releases. Why didn't anyone call him on it?

If you're in the air when you release your disc, you're losing the benefit of the jump putt. The whole point is to allow for extra body follow through. If you're throwing in the air, you've got nowhere to follow through to. I wouldn't even bother calling people on this, because it isn't an advantage.

Also, I've seen far more violations on walking putts than I have on jump putts.

Those are clearly violations. His foot hits the ground well in front of his lie before he releases. Why didn't anyone call him on it?

Those putts, as crazy as it seems, are both clean. His right foot is the support point, which does not come off the lie until JUST after he releases.

Latest posts