• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

do people really have that hard of a time flicking a disc out 50' ?! Its something I thought we all have done our whole lives with discs even if you never played DG. I find it much more work to jump/walk putt at 50' than just throw a little "snake putt" or whatever you want to call it daveD style I would guess is the "granny" putt

I gave you an Out man. Why cant you let it Die? Im agreeing with you that YES you can do that and NO its not hard. BUT some perhaps even most people Do Not do it like you. Thats OK!!!!

do people really have that hard of a time flicking a disc out 50' ?! Its something I thought we all have done our whole lives with discs even if you never played DG. I find it much more work to jump/walk putt at 50' than just throw a little "snake putt" or whatever you want to call it daveD style I would guess is the "granny" putt

50' flicks are not as accurate as 50' standstill putts. There is no need to flick or jump from such a short range.

lolllllllll.

Every Thread you Troll makes me feel like....

ll-640x393.jpg

well ill bet most players are not just putting from 50'.... hell mikeC most players are not even hitting 35' putts normally come on man.

FWIW, it takes a certain level of athleticism to jump putt, and...well...I don't have it. I usually use a normal putting motion until 50', then use a floaty approach shot after that.

average DGCR reader^

Ill say it again and even most pros are not using a regular putting motion at 50'+ the circle is well short of it and often are walking it off to make sure....?

MC your comment basically supports what I am saying all along. Why would you jump? yet you see it all the time from shorter than 50' so get back on your rocking chair.....

At the free throw line, are you permitted to land in front of the free throw line after releasing the ball? No you're not. :)
Three point line is the same, land in front of the line and it's not a 3 pointer.

Stopped reading after this ignorance

average DGCR reader^

Ill say it again and even most pros are not using a regular putting motion at 50'+ the circle is well short of it and often are walking it off to make sure....?

MC your comment basically supports what I am saying all along. Why would you jump? yet you see it all the time from shorter than 50' so get back on your rocking chair.....

He didnt support anything you have said.

If You think because he said that some poeple dont jump at 50' supports your cause you are wrong again. I dont jump at 50', I jump when I need to. Your trying to say that if the people that always jump when they can would switch to a throw then they would be a better putter. How dumb would it be for those people to be throwing the disc from 35' feet away. For some of us, our putts at 50' are no different than our putts at 5'.

And again you are wrong on another one of your statement. Most pros dont walk things off. Most pros dont jump anywhere near the line and when they do jump, there is no question it is outside so they do not even have to worry.

No it doesn't, you're just intentionally being an idiot. I showed you videos of jump putts in action, when and how I use them. I putt from 50', jump putt from 90', and flick from 120', because that is what I find most accurate and controlled. I could care less if another player jump putts from 31', or backhand throws from 40', I've witnessed both in person and kept my mouth shut.

Your response was to bring no valid points to the table, while brushing off the points others made, while being a condenscending tool. Congrats, you're the second person after mind_expansion to earn a spot on my ignore list. Back to GTAV...

Last edited:
Why is the "putting" circle so small? seems like it should be at least another 20' out for pro level players then.

How do you know when you NEED to jump putt if its not distance? You say its not 50' but when is it then and I thought the NEED for jump putts was added distance without losing control... wouldn't it be easier to jump putt at 50' than try and push it up there max putting d?

Ok AFTC youve made your argument for the pro's of SnD.

Here is why some folks prefer to step through.
Increase in distance for makeable putts. Reduction in distance of a fly by. Easier comebacks. Gives you a chance to can a 50-100 footer, whereas a layup only goes in on accident. It keeps your puttig motion similar as opposed to throwing which can easily go awry at 80 feet as far as touch and pace go.

Can you understand the other side of the discussion now?

If I could do a jump putt without looking and feeling like an awkward grizzly bear, I would. Instead, I straddle putt and look like I'm squatting behind a tree during my backswing.

Damn, our game is pretty awkward as a rule. As long as the release happens before the feet leave the ground, I couldn't give a crap about one player's preference for their shot form.

Why is the "putting" circle so small? seems like it should be at least another 20' out for pro level players then.

How do you know when you NEED to jump putt if its not distance? You say its not 50' but when is it then and I thought the NEED for jump putts was added distance without losing control... wouldn't it be easier to jump putt at 50' than try and push it up there max putting d?

Youve been playing for a little over 5 years now and you still havent grasped these concepts. Wow.