• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

so instead of being a Hammer-- what about jumpers make you feel like they are "the best" option for your shot selection?

Lots of fallible arguments and opinions as to why jump putts are magical but no proof in the pudding per-say.

Who's trolling now?!

Because some people just feel more comfortable jump putting. Sometimes I just feel better back handing it. It depends. No real right or wrong answer here. I just think you're being difficult about the topic. Why, I don't know...but for the sake of argument, let's agree to disagree.

Wow. I'm a little afraid to post. I could never figure out jump putting, but I started doing a fall/walking putt and it greaty helped. For me putting is not a lot of arm movement, but the motion moving through your body with a small arm flick (in a way like Cam Todd). When I walk putt I put a bit more motion into my stride giving me more distance and accuracy.

Comfort sure but I am not sure it depends at all...? if you don't have a reason for selecting a disc and shot to go with it then we are playing a different game. I never have stepped up to a tee or a lie and thrown a shot b/c I felt like it lol... You have a REASON as to why you throw backhand over any other shot and I feel the reasons people are providing for jumpers are pretty flawed in relation to saying a stand/deliver type shot is any less accurate or offer less safe landings?

I don't care if you toad putt but there is nothing supporting it being a superior shot which many on here are trying to argue just b/c top pros do it I guess?

Meh, that's kind of an argument from ignorance.
While there is a pretty big logical fallacy there, it's pretty much the only evidence we have. The people claiming that jump putting isn't better don't have any solid evidence, either, and they don't have any anecdotal evidence on their side. The closest thing we have to any actual evidence is "knowing" that weight shift adds power to a putt and jump putting allows for a greater weight shift. Unless someone can come up with actual putting percentages of comparing a player stand putting and jump putting in identical situations, we won't have any actual solid evidence. That why Aim For The Chains' arguments are so bad; his "proof" that jump putts are worse because of lack of evidence also applies to stand putts. The logic behind it is atrocious.

I'm pretty sure Mark Ellis and his Rattler would murder most of the jump putters on here.
You mean like in his "long range putting" video where he was the only one who didn't make a long putt, but the jump putter (Cale L. maybe) did? ;) Though to be fair, Ron Russel also didn't jump putt in that video but made a long putt, not that I've ever heard any suggest putting like RR.

My argument was you can make a stand-deliver shot without being questioned and really from any angle etc not to mention FH/BH roll whatever. In approaches and putting I thought taking as many outside variables away and working on what you can control is the most efficient way to play so IMO all variables and things considered having a dialed in stand/deliver approach makes way more sense to me than a long jump putt. How do you throw that FH jumper anyways? or you just don't have an option to run it b/c you cant throw accurate set shots?!

Just out of morbid curiosity, if you exclude top professionals, what would you guys think is the foot fault % on jump putts? I get that the top pros are doing it right, but I've seen some pretty egregious attempts as well.

Just out of morbid curiosity, if you exclude top professionals, what would you guys think is the foot fault % on jump putts? I get that the top pros are doing it right, but I've seen some pretty egregious attempts as well.

From 1 disc chuckers - 80%
From Tournament Players - <1%

that's the thing sometimes the calls are SO close you cant even tell with a replay on camera (too low of FPS to tell when foot moves and disc released) but some are nearly at the same exact time so IMO that would be a fault b/c you cannot tell if they were behind or not and only way to see is where they finish WHICH IS CLEARLY infront of the lie.

Ill ask again if jumpers are fine why even bother with the 10m circle? Specially being jumpers are not OC and apparently you are just following through.

While there is a pretty big logical fallacy there, it's pretty much the only evidence we have. The people claiming that jump putting isn't better don't have any solid evidence, either, and they don't have any anecdotal evidence on their side. The closest thing we have to any actual evidence is "knowing" that weight shift adds power to a putt and jump putting allows for a greater weight shift. Unless someone can come up with actual putting percentages of comparing a player stand putting and jump putting in identical situations, we won't have any actual solid evidence. That why Aim For The Chains' arguments are so bad; his "proof" that jump putts are worse because of lack of evidence also applies to stand putts. The logic behind it is atrocious.

You mean like in his "long range putting" video where he was the only one who didn't make a long putt, but the jump putter (Cale L. maybe) did? ;) Though to be fair, Ron Russel also didn't jump putt in that video but made a long putt, not that I've ever heard any suggest putting like RR.
Can most people not achieve enough weight shift for a long putt by keeping their feet planted? On most outside the circle putts I do a big straddle kind of like Nikko or Schultz but then again I do that mostly so I don't have to deal with being accused of illegal jump putting, plus I'm not really a competitive golfer either. That's why I made the Ellis crack. He's a sponsored pro and the vast majority of us aren't, logically most us aren't going to beat him in a long putt contest just b/c of allegedly inherent jump putting advantages simply b/c he good, we bad.

Weight shift is the main issue here but I just disagree that jump putting is the only or best route for getting the most weight shift. Rick Barry swears up and down that shooting free throws granny style is the most accurate way, and he might be right. But nobody shoots granny style because they can generally shoot acceptably well enough without looking as old-fashioned. Jump putting is just more fashionable.

Basically, people like the flight of a longer putt when outside the circle. If it feels more predictable than a bh loft up to the basket then go with it or vice versa. I do it more times than not because I've watched it done with high success and decided to integrate it into my game. It seems to work out great for me. I like the extra oomph of it getting to the basket with the added benefit of it slowing down like a putt. Yes, there are variables like shanking it to hard out the right or not getting enough on it but isn't that the truth with any throw? Why do people throw exclusively sidearm instead of backhanding? They're comfortable with it! Wouldn't make sense though that if most courses are predominantly favored to righties they should learn a to throw exclusively backhand and switch? Why would they want to? Thats the kind of question I'm getting from you. That's another argument altogether though. I think your beating a dead horse. I think you just have something against the shot .

Wait so Nikko never Falls? Yes he does

Edit. Nvm this is going No where. I dont care really. Check this... I think falling forward after the release helps me in some instances. Sometimes Ill throw a little airbounce. Whatever works for the shot WORKS.

Last edited:
In approaches and putting I thought taking as many outside variables away and working on what you can control is the most efficient way to play so IMO all variables and things considered having a dialed in stand/deliver approach makes way more sense to me than a long jump putt.
Then you don't understand the jump putt. The whole point of the jump putt is to eliminate variables. You use the exact same putting motion but shift your weight more. The jump part just happens because of how much you shift your weight. It's not an additional variable. You can only throw so far with most really good, repeatable putting motions and it's not all that far. To get more distance on a putt without extra weight shift means you'll need to change something else. That's introducing a variable that wasn't there. Shifting your weight more is just manipulating a variable that's already required.

I'm not going to disagree that many people don't realize that and actually do change their technique for jump putts. No one is arguing that that's a good idea. That's not what we're talking about, though. We're talking about jump putts that are performed correctly.

Can most people not achieve enough weight shift for a long putt by keeping their feet planted?
No, or at least not if they have really solid putting technique. If you use a lot of arm then you'll be able to putt farther, but you'll also either have to practice way more to get as good or have a much less repeatable putting motion.

Weight shift is the main issue here but I just disagree that jump putting is the only or best route for getting the most weight shift. Rick Barry swears up and down that shooting free throws granny style is the most accurate way, and he might be right. But nobody shoots granny style because they can generally shoot acceptably well enough without looking as old-fashioned. Jump putting is just more fashionable.
So you're only for pointing out major logical fallacies for the other side, you have no problems using them yourself? ;) "Jump putting isn't as good because shooting granny style is a better way to shoot free throws." There's no evidence that there's a better way to shift your weight on a putt than simply straight forward. What's the "granny style" for disc golf putting that you're claiming is better?

do people really have that hard of a time flicking a disc out 50' ?! Its something I thought we all have done our whole lives with discs even if you never played DG. I find it much more work to jump/walk putt at 50' than just throw a little "snake putt" or whatever you want to call it daveD style I would guess is the "granny" putt

For the sake of not stirring the pot any more.

In a thread like this, there's no worries. But, I hear ya.

FWIW, it takes a certain level of athleticism to jump putt, and...well...I don't have it. I usually use a normal putting motion until 50', then use a floaty approach shot after that.

from my experience, a lot of folks who attempt to jump putt are more like actors in a grade school kabuki theater

player 1 "am i out of the circle?"

Chorus "yeah, looks right" "i think so" "i don't know"

player 1 "let me walk it off" as he demonstrates a wobbly sense of balance
(walks it off twice, just to be sure)

chorus "looks good" "sure man, whatever"

player 1 (awkward white person wiggle dance as he thrusts his disc forward, slight wobble as the discs comes in low and short)

chorus "hmmmmmmmm"

when properly executed they can be a thing of beauty, but it is rare to see one properly executed