• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do pros choose hyzers on open holes?

Also realize that when you have a bigger arm like those guys, there are lines that not many people would even think of that are virtually wide open to them. A 270' hyzer is nothing to guys like that. They still can throw that with a mid or putter although they probably threw a TB to ensure it held the hyzer.

I've seen Justin Bunnell throw a towering 50' hyzer on an uphill 300' hole that has OB very close on the right side of the fairway with a WIZARD. At the time, I was throwing a teerex on the same hole and barely reaching it. :\

Now that I have more power, I see why the top guys do that. It's easy and it's about numbers (or "risk/reward" as many people say). This is what I've started doing on most holes that I would have normally gone straight at it before--hyzered TB out to the right. Takes trees/obstacles/OB out of play for the most part.

this caught my attention bc i just got back from the worlds. On the last day i watched, nikko, doss, rico, throw big hyzers on hole 1. Nikko's literally was OB until the last 10' of flight. I was trying to figure out why they didn't just straight shoot it. it was only like 270ish. pretty straight shot. But all of them threw over the road and placed it within 15' of the basket.

It is actually 335' uphill and throws an effective distance of about 400'.

I actually talked about this for quite a while last night with Cam Todd (a very intelligent and observant guy). He had 3 main points 2 of which are mentioned above: easiest and most repeatable throwing motion, and the margin of error thing (if you grip lock a little, you know it will come back, but there is not the same certainty if you flip an anhyzer a little too much). The third reason he mentioned is that many of them do not know how to throw straight and anny shots....at least not well enough to bust them out when the chips are down. You will notice that many of the top guys (and gals) are not very good woods players (where line drive and anny shots are required).

hmmm, which hole are you guys talking about? i play lemon lake alot and i'm just trying to figure out which hole on which course you are referring to

Related Note

Not exactly the same, but close. I goofed around and threw my thumber on the last few holes yesterday for approach shots. I have done this before to get over obstacles, but never on open holes. I parked the frost approach a few feet from the basket. the second was a little off. Probably 20' away. not too bad. at least on a flat to neutral surface I think the thumber in my case, or a spike hyper are both good options. not a lot of fade or skip risk. If I was as talented as a pro I think a spike hyper is a great shot.

Here is a perfect video showing the difference between throwing straight at a hole, and throwing a hyzer at a hole. The two throws start at the 1 minute mark:

I've seen that vid! That hyzer Boss is so sweet to watch. Took everything out of play by going over. Were it not for the banking on the green, it was parked, too.

I think part of why they're more predictible and have more margin for error is that the effect of "glide" is minimized. The discs fly more like projectiles so power and height are the main components of distance and aerodynamic forces are secondary. With a straight shot the aedodyamic forces have a larger role in how far the disc goes and where the disc lands and those forces aren't as easy for us to predict or account for.

This thread is a good example of why I recommend carrying a very overstable driver so often. These shots are great to have.

Some holes are pretty forgiving of drives that get away from you (specifically understable discs that turn over but don't fade back as hard as you hoped they would). Others - not so much, and others still, not at all forgiving of such shots. For the last type, I like the predictability overstable hyzer shots provide.

I don't throw too far, so I like the distance underserstable S-shots and hyzer flips provide. I just don't seen to be able to generate the same power/distance using a flex shot with overstable discs.

To this point, I try to asses the amount of risk I'm willing to take on a given shot and determine as best I can where's there's room for error and choose accordingly. Better to be a bit shorter with a good lie for a longer, but reasonable upshot, than long with some godforsaken lie, that you hoped would land in the fairway.

I read this thread yesterday and it made a lot of sense to me. I played a round today and on one hole that's about 250 and open I always throw a mid-range with just a slight hyzer. After throwing that for my tee shot I tried throwing a big hyzer with a driver and I almost aced it! The disc hit and stopped too about 2 feet from the basket. So I threw 2 more and landed both within 10 feet. The next round I threw the driver on my first shot and landed it 2 feet from the basket again! I'm not expecting to park it like that every time but I definitely feel a lot more comfortable with this shot than what I had been doing.

playing spike and hyzer in open field can and will save you lots of strokes. the hyzer flight is very predictable depending on the disc and like most all have said here, it's certainly more accurate with regards to being short or long when going str8 at it. the margin of error is smaller. no skips (least ya hope not)

the long hyzer or even spikes are a wonderful shot to know and to have in your arsenal.

There are times when the Hyzer isn't going to be the best shot. I play a lot of mountain courses here in CO and a missed Hyzer could end up hundered of feet away. It is really going to depend on the landing area in general. Are you throwing on grass that will catch and stop the disc right where it hits. Are you playing sloped ground that will allow for skips in even the spike hyzer or a roll away if you hyzer it into the hill? Sure, it is a great shot to know, but the best shot is the shot that you predictably know what it is going to do and which you can put in the safest place if you should miss by a little.

.. the best shot is the shot that you predictably know what it is going to do and which you can put in the safest place if you should miss by a little.

which for 99% of competitive disc golfers in 99% of situations where the shot allows, the hyzer would be this shot.

if you're throwing something else, you're working against the natural flight tendencies of the disc, and adding inconsistency into the shot.

I think part of why they're more predictible and have less margin for error is that the effect of "glide" is minimized. The discs fly more like projectiles so power and height are the main components of distance and aerodynamic forces are secondary. With a straight shot the aedodyamic forces have a larger role in how far the disc goes and where the disc lands and those forces aren't as easy for us to predict or account for.

This thread is a good example of why I recommend carrying a very overstable driver so often. These shots are great to have.

fixed^ Less margin for error is what you mean. The top pros also have so much snap and disc speed, that most discs turn over, so they release them hyzer and they flip flatter when they want glide.

fixed^ Less margin for error is what you mean. The top pros also have so much snap and disc speed, that most discs turn over, so they release them hyzer and they flip flatter when they want glide.

Noooooo.

He meant MORE margin for error. With a true hyzer shot you can miss your line or angle, and the disc will ALWAYS hyzer in. You may miss a little short or a little left (most of the time) but the disc is always hyzering in toward where you are targeting. With a straight shot, you run the risk of turning the disc, flying past the target, or hyzering out early. With a turnover, your run the risk of not turning enough and ending up waaaay left, or turning too much and ending up short and right of your target.

More margin for error on a hyzer.

(note: the second half of your statement is talking about a hyzer flip, which isn't what the original post was about.)

I can't seem to explain this to my buddy. He's 45 and a good player so every tome I tell him " more predictable" he laughs, puts one down the pipes, and says;" more predictable than that?"
I took him to leagues and his card couldn't believe how straight he shoots- he does have an old school freestyle background.
I subscribed to the hyzer is best thinking from playing with open players but I'm starting to doubt. Yes a straight shot can go wrong but I example a shot we discussed.
Short hole, basket basicly straight ahead with large trees slightly right, left side creating fairway, and behind basket. Everyone and thier mom hyzers it.
Hyzer can hyzer too far and end up by pinetrees, go too far and hyzer around the back tree(ob), not get right enough and hit the front tree.
I guess it has to do with your skills and plastic but it's hard to argue the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Latest posts