• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Do You Like Disc Golf?

cjsleme

Hey everyone! As some of you know, I am new to this game as of a few months. I just bought a bag and new discs and everything recently and I have been going to the park several times a week. I am not very good yet but I love this game! (You are all awesome btw!) There are a few reasons why I am so interested and getting so into this:

1. It is cheap - Once you have all your starting gear, you can play at parks for free! This is way better than Ball Golf because anyone can do it!

2. The courses - Disc golf courses can be in almost any environment and terrain; in the woods, In fields, I even played it in a big cave. (Crystal City Underground, where I first played and got into it.) Traditional ball golf needs greens and the same kind of layouts for courses.

3. The People - Everyone on the courses always have been nice to me and helpful, some people taught me technique and another person gave me a disc because I was new.

4. Something to do - I finally have a reason to be outside and I can have fun getting some exercise too. Instead of just video games. It is also fun casual recreation with friends.

So what are your favorite aspects of Disc Golf? Why do you prefer Disc Golf over traditional Ball Golf?

I think you just started and finished your own thread lol. There isn't much to say that you didn't, other than maybe the rush of competition but you haven't gotten that far yet. Keep at it and since your new I'll give you some words of wisdom. If you intend on getting serious at this sport, practice putting A LOT. Watch video's on form and technique find what works for you and practice practice practice your putting. I wish I had devoted more time to it in my first year or so. welcome and good luck

Darn I didn't want to take all the reasons! I just had a lot I wanted to proclaim! lol
Surely someone has more reasons they like disc golf or that can elaborate on my points...
Thank you for the advice, I actually have been bringing my birdie disc into work and putting a trash can on it's side on a table and practice putting into it that way hahaha
Once I make it I take a step back and see how far back I can get.

Last edited:
I think you just started and finished your own thread lol. There isn't much to say that you didn't, other than maybe the rush of competition but you haven't gotten that far yet. Keep at it and since your new I'll give you some words of wisdom. If you intend on getting serious at this sport, practice putting A LOT. Watch video's on form and technique find what works for you and practice practice practice your putting. I wish I had devoted more time to it in my first year or so. welcome and good luck

This man speaks the truth. Putting, putting and still more putting. It's more fun than it sounds at least.

Well, I enjoyed golf when I was younger, but this is more affordable, had many more options than just a regular throw with all the specialty shots, and the disc golf crowd is more at home with trail running, rock climbing, etc, than say the ball golf/tennis country club scene which isn't to my liking. Not to mention the DIY aspect, while buying property and putting in a 9 hole home disc golf course isn't that unreasonable, trying to have your own ball golf course is pretty unfeasible except for a handful.

Boats and hoes!

Those and it's a reason for my friends and I to get together and get outside. It's just fun in general and I like watching my bag evolve and my game improve.

Also I cant really I say I prefer one over the other. If I had the money I would probably be playing ball golf once a week at least but I would be out banging chains a couple times a week too.

I like this little game we play for two main reasons:

The beauty of the discs's flight.

The personal challenge of getting the disc to go inside the basket.

What keeps me excited about disc golf is road tripping to play new courses with my wife. We've seen lots of cool places because of this sport, and every new course is a new adventure.

The way a disc flies through the air is a thing of pure beauty. A simplistic motion that creates a wonderful effect. Being able to manipulate that disc and make it bend to my will is a personal victory. The frustration of not completing that task is still worth it for every single time I do get it right.

My Life!

The way a disc flies through the air is a thing of pure beauty. A simplistic motion that creates a wonderful effect. Being able to manipulate that disc and make it bend to my will is a personal victory. The frustration of not completing that task is still worth it for every single time I do get it right.

My Life!

:hfive:

MY LIFE!

It combines two of my favorite things. Throwing discs, and hanging out in the woods. I also like hanging out with like minded people.

All of the things said thus far ring true with me as well. Another aspect is doing something you really enjoy. No matter how good or bad I am playing, it is hard to wipe the smile off my face. Also by the 2nd or 3rd throw it is pretty hard to convince me that I have a stressful day gig, or a day gig at all.

It is really for the love of a great game and the magic of a frisbee flight.

Latest posts