• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Do You Like Disc Golf?

Mostly I enjoy going to my local course by myself or with my good buddies and having fun. Enjoying some nature, some dude time, some quiet, some fresh air, some competition.

It's perfect really.

Don't **** with it.

Mostly I enjoy going to my local course by myself or with my good buddies and having fun. Enjoying some nature, some dude time, some quiet, some fresh air, some competition.

It's perfect really.

Don't **** with it.

thats pretty much it. It also gives me a reason to kick back a few beers.

1. Disc golf is a great way to spend time with my wife and my two beautiful girls.

2. I am super competitive. So when all the guys get out to play a course we try to beat the other people just so we can relentlessly berate each other for a week via text/voicemails. With the addition of bag tags coming soon, I expect it to escalate.

Side bar. I always tell the wife, "me and the guys are gonna go play a round". She usually responds with some joke about playing "around" with a bunch of guys. I really need to watch the wording on that one.

Nice thread. I am into the game to get outside, it is a nice complement to my vacation travels. My wife plays, so it gives us an activity to do together while enjoying the outdoors. The travels allow us the opportunity to see some great parts of this nation. The game also satsifies my competitive needs, be it tournaments or self competition. My Life!

There are a few reasons why I am so interested and getting so into this:

1. It is cheap - Once you have all your starting gear, you can play at parks for free! This is way better than Ball Golf because anyone can do it!

2. The courses - Disc golf courses can be in almost any environment and terrain; in the woods, In fields, I even played it in a big cave. (Crystal City Underground, where I first played and got into it.) Traditional ball golf needs greens and the same kind of layouts for courses.

3. The People - Everyone on the courses always have been nice to me and helpful, some people taught me technique and another person gave me a disc because I was new.

4. Something to do - I finally have a reason to be outside and I can have fun getting some exercise too. Instead of just video games. It is also fun casual recreation with friends.

So what are your favorite aspects of Disc Golf? Why do you prefer Disc Golf over traditional Ball Golf?

I agree with all except #1. I have 294 discs and counting...

I also have a couple more on the way. :\

For that moment when your shot goes exactly where you wanted it to, and how you wanted it to.

The times you uncork a drive that's 40' longer than usual.

Hitting that 50' putt.

8am on a wooded course, with nobody else around but the birds and the breeze, and your disc flying through the air.

Waking up and falling out of your tent at Highbridge, and wondering "which kickass course should I play first".

Pulling up to a new course you've been dying to play.

And many others I can't think of right now.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I like both. Kind of like the football/soccer argument...what's wrong with liking both???????????

The beauty of the discs's flight.
:hfive:
There's something about the flight of a well thrown disc I think is somewhat beautitiful, particularly as they change directions during the turn and fade. Love when I put my disc disc on exactly the line I want to hit the window. Strangely enough, I find it intrigiung how I can miss the window and still end up with a decent shot.

Also that moment of anticipation on upshots and long putts when you know it's on a good line and it looks like it has a chance, just waiting to see if it hits chains.

Love playing in scenic landscapes, seeing nature and actually spending some quality time in different places, rather than just passing through on the way to somewhere else.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I like both. Kind of like the football/soccer argument...what's wrong with liking both???????????

I have never heard of that argument. Maybe football/baseball, or football/basketball, or football/hockey(stretching here). But football/soccer? Nope.

I'm pretty sure the only time I have heard the two together is when some foreigner mistakenly calls soccer by the wrong name.

It has been said before, but while ball golf is a good walk spoiled, disc golf is a good walk, ENHANCED!
I am obsessed with flying plastic and staying fit; what else can I say?

Disc golf is very much like moving meditation for me. The ancillary aspects of the game are also very meditative for me (dying discs and the research and testing that goes into building a new bag).

I love the detail work of finding an image, using my ghetto light box to transfer it to contact paper, and then using the exacto knife to cut it out and weed it. It's surprisingly relaxing to immerse yourself in a dye job.

I also love finding discs to fill spots in a bag. It's a great thought exercise for me. I've done it with innova, then the trilogy discs, and now I'm doing it with MVP. Again it's very relaxing to research, then buy, then test the discs. I seem to do this every other season or so. I know it probably makes me inconsistent, but the process is very enjoyable for me and again makes me relax.

Of course the most relaxing/meditative part is just being outside watching the discs fly. Visualizing a shot and watching a disc match that visualization are just amazing. Understanding and acknowledging that bad tree kicks and chain outs are just negative flip sides of lucky tree kicks that keep a disc inbounds or chains catching that imperfect putt is also part of it for me. Having my 2 year old finish off my gimme putts is adding a new wrinkle of awesomeness for me as well. There's so much more, but I've rambled on enough.

Last edited:
I love the travel and exploration involved. Next month I'm going to visit my parents in cloverdale California. And I'm already planning the courses I'm going play on the way and once I get out there.

Nice thread.

Few things for me..

Firstly, I love friendly competition. I tore my ACL a couple years back so playing contact sports is no longer appealing to me when the risk of re-injury is high with little reward. My buddies and I play for a replica world heavyweight championship and have a log of title history/scores/stats in a google spreadsheet I created. I know... it's uber geeky...

There's constantly ways to improve. While I used to play when I was a young teenager, I never realized how much form was involved. So long as you're not stubborn and you're open/diligent about making changes to your game, you can always improve aspects of your game. Currently, my main goals are to improve my driving distance (top out at 370-380 right now, goal is to break 400 ft) and average a par game on courses I'm not playing blind.

I love the outdoors and exercise I get from disc golf.
What keeps bringing me back is making that perfect shot. I truly enjoy watching my throw do exactly what I intended it to do (the rare times that happens). I always say there's only one thing better in disc golf than watching a perfect throw, that's making the perfect throw.

I love the outdoors and exercise I get from disc golf.
What keeps bringing me back is making that perfect shot. I truly enjoy watching my throw do exactly what I intended it to do (the rare times that happens). I always say there's only one thing better in disc golf than watching a perfect throw, that's making the perfect throw.

Pretty much sums it up for me personally.
I also have met a lot of really nice people from all walks of life over the years.

I'm sorry I worded it it that way, I just figured since it is a DIsc Golf thread most people here would prefer it over Ball Golf.

At first it gave me something to do when visiting my mother back home.
Then we got a course at the university where I work so I began throwing with me coworkers and the students after work.
Then challenge of it all. Always trying to improve.