• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Why putt with baseline plastic?

Fair enough. But noone is perfect. If you could make a few of those weak side hits with a different plastic, why wouldn't you?

Because you'd miss far more putts due to spit out, or slipping through the chains, than you'd ever save on the weak side, by switching to premium plastic.

Besides grip in the hand, grip in the chains, and price, there is another good reason to putt with base plastics:

Premium plastics tend to fly differently from their base model counterparts (and the other premium plastics that mold is run in), and (in my experience) tend to be more erratic run to run in terms of their stability, even at the same weight, plastic, and color. Putting with base plastics tends to produce truer, more consistent flights, especially between multiple copies of the same disc.

Originally Posted by The Mickstar
Fair enough. But noone is perfect. If you could make a few of those weak side hits with a different plastic, why wouldn't you?

Fair enough. I'd putt with a disc made out of anything if I thought it would increase my percentage of makes.

Ha I do, that's why I can't get rid of my plasma's :D...

Kinda bugs me because I'd rather throw the baseline, I think anyways, but I'm a birdie who're so plasma or heavy neutron in the circle.

I putt with EV7 phi's in OG medium, with a spush putt, for reference.

How are you liking the EV7 Phi's? I know Gibson putts with the Penrose and said it's completely changed his putting game. I've been using the Pure White Wizards lately, and I like them, but I've been putting with Wizards for like 10-12 years without really giving anything else a chance. I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of the Penrose to try out. How does the OG Medium feel compared to a SS Wizard?

I've noticed that the vast majority of people putt (not throw) with baseline plastic, and I'm curious why. Is it simply that (in general) baseline plastics have better grip than premium, or is there some other advantage I'm missing?

For something as feel-driven as a putter, I would think you'd want the plastic to change as little as possible with use (i.e. beat-in as slow as possible), which would give premium plastic an edge.

I've been playing three years and tried baseline putters. I just couldn't putt well with them and couldn't work out why. I'd watch other players just spin them into the chains, and I couldn't not replicate that. Six months ago I had a bit of a light bulb that my hands were so dry and I couldn't grip them well enough to get the spin. I tried some OG Soft EV7's and that felt better. Been putting for four months with K1 Soft Reko's (which I'd call a gummy premium plastic) and they have been fantastic. They don't tend to roll either.

This has sort of morphed into using a lot more GStar plastic drivers now, with good results.

Last edited:
I've noticed that the vast majority of people putt (not throw) with baseline plastic, and I'm curious why. Is it simply that (in general) baseline plastics have better grip than premium, or is there some other advantage I'm missing?

For something as feel-driven as a putter, I would think you'd want the plastic to change as little as possible with use (i.e. beat-in as slow as possible), which would give premium plastic an edge.

I use R-pro. Not sure if thats considered baseline or not. The floppiness reduces spit outs and roll aways. The argument against floppy is inaccuracy. That flop means it won't come out of your hand in exactly the same way every time. But I don't putt with much power so it doesn't really affect me.

I know plenty of guys that use premium plastic for putting. They putt with a lot more power and the 'flop' doesn't work so well for them. Their accuracy from a distance is quite good although they do get the occasional spitout.

And yeah, the wear on putters in negligible unless you also throw with them.

How are you liking the EV7 Phi's? I know Gibson putts with the Penrose and said it's completely changed his putting game. I've been using the Pure White Wizards lately, and I like them, but I've been putting with Wizards for like 10-12 years without really giving anything else a chance. I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of the Penrose to try out. How does the OG Medium feel compared to a SS Wizard?

I ADORE them. The plastic blend is EVERYTHING I could ever want, until it gets into the 90's. Then it's actually a wee bit too soft/tacky. I think I'll be getting some of the OG firm for next summer, and some OG Base for winter to keep consistent feel and stiffness regardless of temp.

OG medium feels slightly less stiff than SS, more like SSS, and for sure grippier/tackier, though I don't have a ton of gateway experience. I'd say try the OG firm first, but there's not a huge difference between OG medium and Firm.

+1 grip. I don't mean softness, just grip.Also the premium plastics feel bigger in the hand because those plastics don't shrink as much, so they're deeper feeling. Definitely splash out more. When I first started I putted with a lucid Warden. Until I felt a buddy's base Focus. Wow. Such better grip!

Not trying to be mean, but chaining out left side isn't as much of a disc issue as it is the guy hitting left side.

it can also be dependent on basket model/chain pattern, and putting style.

A mach X will push left and right side misses out hard, but a mach 5 will catch a ton of weak side putts (in comparison)

A spin putter missing weak side will experience more misses than a push or pitch putter (since their putts are most likely already on the way down when hitting the chains)

In my experience, different plastics don't really change the result - I personally won't putt with premium putters because I'm not confident in my grip or release consistency with them, and thus not confident in my putting stroke overall. If I had that confidence, I'd be willing to bet that I don't experience any more "poor catches" from any basket than normal.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that most of the "so and so plastic really grabs the chains!" Stuff is all in peoples heads. I currently like the Gateway firm stuff-rock hard plastic but with a nice gritty grip to it.

Premium plastic putters feel gross.
Base plastic when just used as putters last for years.
If you want to throw some gross feeling premium plastic putter that's fine but putt with( preferably stiff) base plastic.

I suspect baseline putters have more low speed glide, which would help prevent putters from dropping too early, but maybe it's extra spin generated from more grip.

This one is easy. . ..

Because the pros does it. . and we Do look at what the pros do.
If Paul and Ricky would start to putt with premium putters it would spread FAST

As previously stated, my putter has been R-pro Rhynos. So I recently picked up a pair of Z Metallic Ringer GTs with the idea that maybe someday I would give them a try. Well, 2 weeks ago I lost a Rhyno so they got their shot sooner than I had expected. And with this thread in mind I took mental notes.

From 2 rounds of playing:

The flights are very similar. I didn't feel my form really needed adjusting to compensate. The Ringers were slicker to the grip but out of the hand it hasn't been an issue.

In wet environments, the Rhynos get sticky where as the Ringers get slick. Rhynos are hard to wipe dirt from, Ringers are easy.

On landing, Rhynos flop and stay put, Ringers tend to skip a ways. This is more something to be aware of on longer approach shots and leaving yourself room for the skip.

Spit outs - It wasn't really an issue. One right side chain-out MAY have gone in if I had been using a rhyno.