• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why some holes suck...blame the chucker

optidistic2.jpg

optidistic1.jpg

I have seen one pulled. First time I played it; I thought, what are the designer's thinking?

yeah I agree....any newer course should take into account faster disc technology in the hands of beginners....any course over 15 yrs old I can excuse the designer

thank u starvalk

the waterfall would be an amazing green and basket area but my fear is the chuckers will throw from the street and hit the properties to the left.....I wanted to put a tee in the field...but I just know chucker nation will throw from the elevated sidewalk and fade into the houses....so sad

So the creek and waterfall run parallel to the street?

The first picture shows the fairway, with the creek in the background.
The 2nd picture is at a 90 degree angle from the first one, profiling the creek.

Correct?

the first pic shows the fairway....properties to the left....stream to right..the waterfall is at the far end of field to the far right

The 2nd pic is a lookback from waterfall/green area to the fairway with the properties to the right and the chucker elevated sidewalk waaaaay back to the right

I wanted to put the tee in the middle of the field and have a 300ish shot to the waterfall....but my fear is the chucker mentality will throw from the sidewalk

It should be noted that the previous hole will be across that street and you literally will would walk past that chucker tee

the change in grass color is the property line

If you were to put the pin on the far right side of the first picture, do you think that would help correct the chuckers? At least that way it would be a RHFH dominant hole, and MAYBE the chuckers would realize the disc needs to go the other direction?

What about a teepad near the sidewalk but angled diagonally and pretty close to the properties on the left? That way, even with mega fade discs should land on the fairway. Also, with the pad closer to the sidewalk, it could help prevent sidewalk chucking.

I dunno, but the area really does look stunning. I would hate for you to have to waste that little area.

What about a teepad near the sidewalk but angled diagonally and pretty close to the properties on the left? That way, even with mega fade discs should land on the fairway. Also, with the pad closer to the sidewalk, it could help prevent sidewalk chucking.

I like this idea. If you angled the tee enough it should take a vast majority of n00b hyzers out of the neighbor's yard.

Plus, you could lay down some OB rope and make it similar to hole 3 at Winny Gold.

yeah its the old argument.....put the tee pad closer to the area you dont want the disc going to prevent disc golfers from wandering into the yards or simply put the disc golfers in the yards by building the tee too close....lol

I have perhaps 4-5 different ideas for the floodplain here...it's tough to mix the optimal disc golf hole with the most reasonable design that will result in the least number of complaints from neighbors. (I would not want a boss crashing through my bay window or hitting my car either)

its not just the noob hyzers.......you ever see someone FH OAT an ultra fast driver and see it fly to the left rhfh? Scary stuff

Yeah, but I've also seen seasoned vets throw a roller that went haywire also. I don't think you can make a course completely idiot proof.

Yeah, but I've also seen seasoned vets throw a roller that went haywire also. I don't think you can make a course completely idiot proof.

true...I should also admit I am trying to idiot prrof these holes from myself as well

it's a good exercise in what a designer has to take into account....I am still trying to figure out how to use the floodplain here

I agree with going as safe as possible for first priority. As long as you make a safe design, thats all you can do.

Bolf courses are next to properties, but the designed layout usually makes it pretty safe. Good job on the designers part! However, nothing is stopping a group of people from playing "closest to the house" on hole #8. Not the designers fault.

From the public's perception

"gee before this disc golf course went in no one threw plastic at my car, my dog, my house or my kids as they played innocently in the yard"

I think the public would end up blaming the course designer for building the course.....there's ideal and there's reality....building a course is all about reality and reality isnt perfect.....I am not giving up on the land here just trying to make people realize why sometimes you play a hole and look at the land and wonder why the designer didnt do more.....I'm guilty of doing this in many of my so called diamond trusted reviews lol

Bolf courses are next to properties, but the designed layout usually makes it pretty safe. Good job on the designers part!

Actually I was thinking the opposite. I have played plenty of golf courses where houses get hit all the time. In a high school golf playoff tournament I played in, three players in one group hit different areas of houses on one hole. I have played a really good course where the best line to one of the greens from the tee was right over a couple of houses. Even the oldest golf course in the world, St. Andrews, has a hole that plays right over a hotel I believe.