• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter is coming what are we gearing up with.

Just finishing winter out here in Santiago, at the worst of it i wore basketball shorts under my jeans, but no more than just a sweater. I expect the same coming up when I'm back to Cali in a few weeks. I'm planning on getting a warmup jacket for when I'm out playing near the coast. Another thing I'm thinking would be a coffee thermos. Sounds smart.

Also, water. Lots. Even when it's cold out you gotta stay hydrated to keep ur head thinking straight.

I'm hoping Idaho winter is like last year, with barely any snow. I can stand lower temperatures no problem. Between November-February the highs are 35-40. It's mid-October and I was wearing jeans with a tshirt out on the course today before 5pm. Then evening drops under 25 degrees. I'll probably just wear my Carhartt jacket between holes, with a hoodie underneath so I can take the jacket off while throwing. I have a variety of underarmor due to all the years of playing fall league baseball. Of course the long jons with jeans on top, and one of my many beanies for my head. We have quite a few winter courses here that pop up at local parks cause the foot traffic is reduced to a very low minimum. Given they're only 9 holes, but I'll have plenty to do until March rolls around again.

zippoo refillable handwarmers are the best!! and i also keep a nice pint of scotch for mid round warm up pulls :p then layers and layers of clothes haha

Another vote for Zippo handwarmers. I run mine on Coleman white gas (naptha) instead of lighter fluid. So far so good, and a quarter of the cost.

Light windproof jacket with a long sleeve performance tee under for a little more warmth/wind protection. Wind pants with maybe pjs underneath if it's really cold. Sealskinz and my hiking boots. Also a muff with hand warmers in it.

a tshirt and jeans probably. maybe some flannel if i'm feeling adventurous.

georgia winter = most places springs. :|

I live in a sweet little spot in Northeast Oregon where the surrounding mountains act as a funnel and push all the wind traveling from the Pacific to the interior through my valley. Constant 30 mph winds are the usual, and if there is snow within 100 miles, it's being driven like a leer-jet into anything taller than a blade of grass.
But I'm still at the course every other day...

Boots, wind-proof jacket and pants, hoodie, layers, FIREBIRDS.

Asolo hiking boots
Smartwool socks
Outdoor Research gaiters
REI wind/water resistant pants
Long sleeve, moisture wicking shirt
Short sleeve, moisture wicking shirt
Bears long sleeve windbreaker
Versatile and adjustable head/neck/face-mask
Bears muff with or without handwarmers depending on temp.
Waterproof gloves...since I got the muff last winter, these typically stay in the bag.

For the coldest days:
Keen waterproof shin high boots
Smartwool socks
OR gaiters
Under Armor leggings
thin sweatpants
Marmot waterproof and windproof pants
Under Armor long sleeve shirt
long sleeve thermal
zip fleece
Marmot waterproof and windproof jacket
OR waterproof gloves with a fleece liner and sometimes hand warmers
knit cap

I only wear all of that for those days where it's below zero with a good wind blowing.

Light windproof jacket with a long sleeve performance tee under for a little more warmth/wind protection. Wind pants with maybe pjs underneath if it's really cold. Sealskinz and my hiking boots. Also a muff with hand warmers in it.

Mmmmmm Muff always warms my hands.....

How hard is it to find your disc if you are playing in a few inches of fresh snow? I would imagine you could find the entry point, but wouldn't it still travel under the snow?

It can be hard, you have to look for the entry area, disturbed snow. I just bought my winter replacement discs. I like to throw white discs 3/4 of the year and pinks, oranges, and yellows in the winter.

How hard is it to find your disc if you are playing in a few inches of fresh snow? I would imagine you could find the entry point, but wouldn't it still travel under the snow?

You could always tape a brightly colored piece of ribbon to your disc, kind of like a kite's tail if you are concerned about finding it in the snow.

this is the second time in a couple of days i have seen/heard of using quarterback hand warmers:thmbup:
going to have to look into one of these

They're called muffs and they are the shiz for winter golf. The one I have has two inner pockets for handwarmers. I usually end up with sweaty hands after a few holes and my throwing hand goes in and out to keep it juuust right. Sometimes I even let other people stick a hand in there to stay warm. Well, maybe just my doubles partner.

:D

Moved from snow ridden Michigan to rain country pacific north west this year, so we'll see how it goes. Yesterday was my first round in hard rain(this season). Managed pretty well with a birdie bag and goretex/camp dry sprayed shoes. Need a new rain jacket and possibly a moisture wicking hat so I'm not wearing a puddle on my head.

My winter bug out gear

whereiswinter.jpg

in this picture: under armor shirt, light field jacket, wool trench coat made from an old wool blanket, Military issue impermeable pants, arctic gloves, gortex sneakers, and a military wool scarf.

Last edited:
I went out tonight, its low 40's, I had a t-shirt, 2 long underwear, shorts and athletic pants on, I was comfortable except my hands, after a while I couldn't throw properly, my hands were so cold and dry I could hardly grip right. My next disc golf purchase is gonna be a muff.

My winter bug out gear

whereiswinter.jpg

in this picture: under armor shirt, light field jacket, wool trench coat made from an old wool blanket, Military issue impermeable pants, arctic gloves, gortex sneakers, and a military wool scarf.

That looks way too bulky and restrictive. I wear merino base layer, light synthetic insulating layer, and waterproof/windproof shell. Works really well and provides great range of motion.