• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Women's symposium

I don't see anyone trolling, I certainly wasn't. I completely disagree that the top two women were not involved when Val is the reigning world champ and there seems to be something implied in the post that the concerns of the symposium were a little less valid without Paige and Catrina's involvement.

As far as cringing goes, "celebrity posters gracious enough"... well that made me cringe. :gross:

I'm sure you did...

I don't see anyone trolling, I certainly wasn't. I completely disagree that the top two women were not involved when Val is the reigning world champ and there seems to be something implied in the post that the concerns of the symposium were a little less valid without Paige and Catrina's involvement.

As far as cringing goes, "celebrity posters gracious enough"... well that made me cringe. :gross:

Agree with all parts of this, particularly the last sentence.

My girlfriend watched it, I fell asleep but one thing I did notice is the top two women in disc golf and the two biggest influence had zero presence in the whole thing and didn't even share the link on their social media.

How is this not interpreted as Paul calling out Paige and Catrina for not participating? Implying that he was diminishing the importance of the symposium because of their absence sounds like trolling to me. :doh:

The symposium was a great idea. Hopefully the FPOs are successful at bringing more women into the sport so they get a larger piece of the pie.

The issue that has been brought up recently, at least in terms of the Aussie open, is that once the minimum added cash was distributed the addition added cash was given to MPO. At the Aussie Open there was $6500.00 added cash and women were 18% of the field, so if all of the added cash were distributed by participation the women would have gotten $1170. Instead once the minimum added cash requirement was met ($500) the rest went to MPO.* In a situation like this, combined with the fact that none of the women's rounds were covered by the media, I can understand how the women would have some gripes.

*This is per Madison Walker who was in the field.

If this is how it went down I agree it should at a minimum be allocated by field size. Added cash or not.

Perhaps McBeth meant that it would have carried a bit more weight had the top two (ranked) women in the world, shown some support or mention of the symposium.

Maybe he's calling them out?

Perhaps McBeth meant that it would have carried a bit more weight had the top two (ranked) women in the world, shown some support or mention of the symposium.

No question about it.

Paige and Cat ought to be there if they ever want more gender equality in the sport. I'm sure they have their reasons though. Those could be anything from a family event they couldn't miss, to pressure from their sponsors, which after all, pays their bills.

This is how I read it. I'm not sure he is calling them out, or if it was just an observation worth noting. I listened to Paige on a podcast recently and she said she wanted to start getting more involved in this recent focus on women's disc golf. I don't think she is trying to separate herself from it. She said she doesn't know what her role will be, but she wants to get involved at some level.

Not sure about Cat, but I have heard (from the smashboxx guys) she is sort of an introvert and maybe she just prefers to stay out of the spotlight. I have no idea as I know neither woman.

If this is how it went down I agree it should at a minimum be allocated by field size. Added cash or not.

This is exactly how it went down. But I think that we figured that there was more added cash than the 6500. And he has stated that this is his plan going forward. Get the FPO to the minimum requirement and put the rest in MPO and media.

And as we stated on the podcast, it is his right to do that because it is his money putting up the events. I personally disagree with it, but I don't think I have the right to argue with him over it. And as long as the FPO field knows it, there shouldn't be any complaining from the people who choose to attend. The question on my mind is if the European Open (another Major) will follow suit with the same payout structure. Because it is a dual DGWT and M.

Jussi believes that the way to grow the sport is "One division, One champion". And all the rest of the divisions are "extra" in his perspective.

This is exactly how it went down. But I think that we figured that there was more added cash than the 6500. And he has stated that this is his plan going forward. Get the FPO to the minimum requirement and put the rest in MPO and media.

And as we stated on the podcast, it is his right to do that because it is his money putting up the events. I personally disagree with it, but I don't think I have the right to argue with him over it. And as long as the FPO field knows it, there shouldn't be any complaining from the people who choose to attend. The question on my mind is if the European Open (another Major) will follow suit with the same payout structure. Because it is a dual DGWT and M.

Jussi believes that the way to grow the sport is "One division, One champion". And all the rest of the divisions are "extra" in his perspective.

Thanks for the insight. I think he's wrong, but as you said, it's his money (sort of). I think transparency is key. Post payouts as soon as all cash is collected so players know what they are getting into.

I'm sorry for the confusion, Lyle.

I was sarcastically trolling the earlier responses to Paul's insightful post. And complimenting your reasonable response, which I agree with.

I cringe when I see posters having fun trolling celebrity posters gracious enough to contribute here.

So now I have to apologize. I knew what you were doing and enjoyed it. But I felt compelled to make my point clearer. See what happens when I write too much.

As can be seen from DanJon's posts and others, Paul's post can be seen in multiple ways. What is the likelihood that Paul is going to come into a public setting and troll the top two female players, one who is a good friend? My friends slap me when I do that. When you view it from that point of view you have to conclude he's trying to get everyone together or argue for all voices acting in unison.

So I'm now in the position of taking Jussie's side. He is trying to balance several desires, including public pressure on media. Glad it isn't me. If you think about the costs of getting filming done in Australia, that ate up some payout for sure. He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. At least by what little I know.

Jussi also doesn't have a Master's Division. Which in my mind, could be a great avenue towards "growing the sport". Lots of retirees with money to spend on lifetime sports and whatnot.

Jussi also doesn't have a Master's Division. Which in my mind, could be a great avenue towards "growing the sport". Lots of retirees with money to spend on lifetime sports and whatnot.

Definitely need the older folks to be attracted to the game. I didn't start playing until I was 43. I do think having a Master's division helps do that for me - really enjoy watching those rounds and makes me feel like I could a Pro rating one day, even though my potential distance is already in decline before I started playing.

As can be seen from DanJon's posts and others, Paul's post can be seen in multiple ways. What is the likelihood that Paul is going to come into a public setting and troll the top two female players, one who is a good friend? My friends slap me when I do that. When you view it from that point of view you have to conclude he's trying to get everyone together or argue for all voices acting in unison.

All the more reason he should clarify exactly what he meant.......unless he fell asleep again

Just to clarify something about added cash distribution, it's based on % of entry fee contribution to the overall Pro Purse; so if entry fees are different, distribution is different; it's not based off of # of players .. unless the entry fees are the same.

edit .. from the 2017 PDGA Tour Standards:

"The Minimum Required Added Cash for Pros (B-Tier=$500, A-Tier=$2000, etc.) must be distributed across ALL Pro divisions
in the event based on the percentage of total Pro Net Entry Fees that each Pro division brought into the event."

... And as we stated on the podcast, it is his right to do that because it is his money putting up the events. .....And as long as the FPO field knows it, there shouldn't be any complaining from the people who choose to attend. ....

Yeah Right! I bet when they do complain, Smashboxx will host a special 3 hour podcast about it.

Yeah Right! I bet when they do complain, Smashboxx will host a special 3 hour podcast about it.

I am not sure how to take this. I don't know if it is a rip on SmashBoxx or a rip on the women disc golfers in our sport, or both? Congrats.

But sure, if someone wants a platform for themselves to complain about stuff... reach out. Maybe we can make a deal! :hfive:

Get the FPO to the minimum requirement and put the rest in MPO and media.

You're making it sound like SpinTV (as the official media partner of DGWT) takes added cash from the tournament purse. You know better than that man, c'mon.

Jussi wasn't the TD of Aussie Open. He was there working for DGWT. There was 6500 added cash, and since there is no added cash minimum for Majors specifically (according to the 2017 tour standards pdf) - if you go off the "National Tour Elite Series" requirements, they were in compliance.

Just to clarify something about added cash distribution, it's based on % of entry fee contribution to the overall Pro Purse; so if entry fees are different, distribution is different; it's not based off of # of players .. unless the entry fees are the same.

edit .. from the 2017 PDGA Tour Standards:

"The Minimum Required Added Cash for Pros (B-Tier=$500, A-Tier=$2000, etc.) must be distributed across ALL Pro divisions
in the event based on the percentage of total Pro Net Entry Fees that each Pro division brought into the event."

QFT. Going off of this Aussie paid 125.8% of entry fees to the FPO division. Right in line with spec.

Maybe the two other 'top' women weren't invited, OR, they feel women are already treated equally in the sport.. Or some other reason.. who knows.