• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wooden discs.

does anyone know how to get in touch with the guys that made the video. I think i want to get a disc or 2

Watch out for this guy

Well, I think everyone else should watch out for people like you and few others in this thread for making some puerile comments.

Having said that, watching this video made me realize that I'd be very interested in finding out whether it's possible to make similar discs with different types of wood? Can anybody with woodworking knowledge chime in?

I was thinking that it would be cool to have disc golf artwork engraved in similar fashion as this business did with iPhone cases. http://www.grovemade.com

Here's the beauty I'm working on right now:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2012-10-25_15-35-33_877.jpg
    2012-10-25_15-35-33_877.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 2012-10-25_15-35-56_396.jpg
    2012-10-25_15-35-56_396.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 2012-10-25_15-37-03_51.jpg
    2012-10-25_15-37-03_51.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 146
Many dumb responses on some previous posts. The Deaf Disc golfers are a cool group. When I lived in the DC area, I would often get teamed up in random doubles with one; even though there was an initial communications struggle, after a few holes we easily communicate who should lay up and who should run hard at the basket. And yes, they screamed loud when getting an ace.

On a slightly different thread, Mark Susi turned out a lot of beautiful wooden minis, often as prizes during Paw-Paw (WV) events. He gave me one with my PDGA # implanted in a darker color wood; still one of my prized possessions.

Martin, that's straight gorgeous. Nice work man, and great choice of hardwood.

I've always been interested in woodworking, but the side of my garage not being taken by my wife's car is full of my dirtbike, tools, and drumset. I don't think I could squeeze much additional hobbies into a car sized space of the garage. Well, not without kicking the wife's car into the Oklahoma extreme hot and cold. :D

How do we contact the people on the OP video!? the website is www.w-g-design.com but they dont have any contact information (that I could find there). Anyone have an email address?

Mark

At first I was scared he was making a groove.

The camera needs to pan better.. the focus problems got crazy, Mark II's don't continuous focus.. should have used rings.

I think that's an elite "trophy" for an event.

Many dumb responses on some previous posts. The Deaf Disc golfers are a cool group.

Yes they are. We have a guy who attends one of our local leagues on a regular basis that is deaf.

He's a good, not great golfer like a lot of us and he seems to have a lot of fun out there. We typically use the notepad on one of our phones to communicate as needed.

Yes they are. We have a guy who attends one of our local leagues on a regular basis that is deaf.

He's a good, not great golfer like a lot of us and he seems to have a lot of fun out there. We typically use the notepad on one of our phones to communicate as needed.

That's funny, we've got a blind disc golfer here in Humboldt. The first time I played with him I had a hard time believing that he was blind because he played so well.

That's funny, we've got a blind disc golfer here in Humboldt. The first time I played with him I had a hard time believing that he was blind because he played so well.

Now that is something I'd like to see in person. Was every throw directed, or did he have a general idea of the direction he needed to throw?

Wooden discs are banned at one of the courses in my area. They have signs all over the course. Not sure why though.

Now that is something I'd like to see in person. Was every throw directed, or did he have a general idea of the direction he needed to throw?

He knows the course beter than most people that can see. My first thought was that I would love to see how he played on a diffrent course, but he told me he only plays out there at Pump #4.

yeah i kinda like martins choice of woods better too. just because for the time it takes you should use a nice piece of hardword....Martin what did you finish it with? danish oil? or did you use poly?

I'm going to turn a few comets out of wood and write WOODCRAFT ON THEM....like discraft team stamp but maybe even set a pantograph/router up and have some depth.

great video....I'm going to do lat64 minis too! just because i want one!!!

Aside of the lathe, what other woodworking tools would you need to do this? Also, where would you find solid pieces of hardwood large enough to do this with?

I'm assuming people aren't busting out their axes, felling their own lumber, then seasoning the wood in a controlled environment just in order to lathe out some sweet discs. However, I guess I could be wrong.

An Ironwood disc would be really sweet. You couldn't ever throw it, cause it's too heavy, but the grain is so nice.

Latest posts