• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worlds, side events

Jolt

* Ace Member *
I think the skillshot, longdrive and putting is today, any coverage of those events. ?

Mixed Doubles is done but i have not found a single video, was even hard to find the live scores.

Why not hype up the side events more?

I think the skillshot, longdrive and putting is today, any coverage of those events. ?

Mixed Doubles is done but i have not found a single video, was even hard to find the live scores.

Why not hype up the side events more?
Winners of side games in the past were considered World Champions for that game. I suspect not promoting the side games is a way to pull back from the perception they are not World title events any more.

Not that many players throwing +500ft in the "long drive" . . so i guess many people on this site would have been top 10 at "long drive worlds" as many clame +600ft as their max dist.

Not that many players throwing +500ft in the "long drive" . . so i guess many people on this site would have been top 10 at "long drive worlds" as many clame +600ft as their max dist.

That's so disingenuous, I've done 2 max distance comps this year and there was almost 150' difference between my best throws in the two. Both on flat ground.

In one I had a moderate helping wind and hit my angle well and in another I had a headwind and missed my angle on all my throws.

You only get 5 throws and it's far from guaranteed that one of those 5 will be among your best, and who knows what the conditions were like.

Lots of potential qualifiers to add though.

In previous years on the long drive contest the fields used have not been big enough (Flex shots hitting trees to the side even though they would come out and get back into the required scoring area without the tree hit etc) Making the long drive both accuracy and distance.

A long drive comp is normally set up to throw in one direction, this could be into a headwind on the day of competition or a nasty crosswind.

You only get a set amount of throws. When throwing distance lines the difference between nailing the angle and getting the glide out of the apex and not can be as much as 300' Depending on the wind the angles thrown can be just as important as the power added. You'd hope players would go with a safety for us stat nerds but most of them only care about first so they go all in on each shot creating a much larger margin of error.

Probably the biggest one though is long drive comps measure where the disc hits the ground. Your average DGCR'er measures where their disc ends up. Skips tend to add around 10% to a throw depending on the angle of landing

Back in the day I threw 453' in a long drive comp to take 2nd into a slight headwind (The headwind helped me at the time, keeping the Boss I was throwing turning for longer) I've thrown measured shots over 500' before but being by myself I've no idea how far the skip was, it could well have been 450' with a 50' skip.

Wish I could do that as an average DGCR'er now :D I'd currently struggle to get 350' in a distance comp.

So Gannon Buhr just came in second in Distance and in Putting? CHeering for him at the main event. Future world champ!
Gannon was 4th in distance, but he has a bright future for sure though.

David Wiggins Jr won all(or nearly all) the field events some years ago.

I think there should be a DG distance category added which would measure distance from a selected basket after a long throw, with points off for bad lies...

-There's a lot of potential upside in FPO for peak distance. I don't think we've seen anything close to what's possible yet.

-I thought Gossage would come in higher. Maybe an off day or conditions? Or is he really closer to high 400s?

-JFC GG. He just keeps doing it. I do wish we'd see how Barela and Eagle fare in these. Who do you think is getting the lowest effort long bombs?

This Jakub will be fun to watch grow.

Buhr really seems like he's on the verge of becoming a once-in-a-generation talent. PS how tall can that kid possibly get?

Or is he really closer to high 400s?

No, Aaron Gossage throws hard.

Here's a link to a file that I had previously made and forgot to share with distance comp. results since 2011. The download link expires in 30 days. If you plan to pivot anything, I think Garrett Gurthie is spelled a couple different ways.

https://easyupload.io/clt1my

My two sense: I think there's some variance due to differences in distance comp. "venues" across years. Elevation and wind/weather likely creating noise.

Last edited:

Here's a link to a file that I had previously made and forgot to share with distance comp. results since 2011. The download link expires in 30 days. If you plan to pivot anything, I think Garrett Gurthie is spelled a couple different ways.

My two sense: I think there's some variance due to differences in distance comp. "venues" across years. Elevation and wind/weather likely creating noise.

My man, this is great! Nabbed it.

-I thought Gossage would come in higher. Maybe an off day or conditions? Or is he really closer to high 400s?
Ian said Gossage throws 600' bh and I believe it. Distance comps especially at Worlds often have landing zones you have to hit, so he might have thrown 700' OB but wouldn't count.

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know already but is he related to Goose?

I very much agree with your venues idea. Last year's numbers are ballooned compared to the other years, and one other year (2012?) was higher also.

Latest posts