• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Way to Lose a Disc? (or three)

I have heard that you should use a hockey puck. Heavy, small, easy to throw and shouldn't get stuck up there as well.

You'd think that. I was carrying a lacrosse ball I randomly found for this purpose for a while....until...it got stuck in a tree. That was a great one. Doubles partner throws a disc up in tree and gets it stuck. Then she gets her water bottle stuck. Then I get my lacrosse ball stuck. And we didn't get the disc back. Stupid tree.

Throwing over a pond, I barely catch some small branches of a tree on the far side. The disc drops, stands up and starts heading down the bank. But it begins a circle, like a dog settling in for a lie down, and I breathe easier. Then it wobbles a little, and rolls into the pond. By the time I got there, the disc was gone.

The worst part is the drama while watching your disc head to Davy Dunipace's locker.

During a tournament round at the Big Brother course at Justin Trails I lost 3 discs, in one round! All 3 were go to over-stable drivers, all needed for the winds on that course. First lost in a wide open field, second I watched sail about 700 (shanked) feet from a hill top with no intention of even going after it, third was in some thick stuff right behind hole 18 basket, we all watched it and still couldn't find.
Also lost a disc during my warm-ups that morning. Needless to say, it wasn't my favorite day. That is, until I hit my first ever tournament ace on Big Brother and won a basket in the raffle.

You'd think that. I was carrying a lacrosse ball I randomly found for this purpose for a while....until...it got stuck in a tree. That was a great one. Doubles partner throws a disc up in tree and gets it stuck. Then she gets her water bottle stuck. Then I get my lacrosse ball stuck. And we didn't get the disc back. Stupid tree.

Lacrosse ball is an even better idea. Those suckers are heavy (I play box lacrosse and have been hit by a few) and you would think round would be better than flat. Getting that stuck is just bad luck. Should have brought an axe and cut that tree down like the kid in Where the Red Fern Grows.

How do you play wolf with more than 4 people?

well with 7 people then its "21 holes" where everyone gets to own three holes.

its always times three, so naturally you want to go no more than 6 if you have only 18 holes, but naturally the game maybe over points wise by the time 18holes is even finished.

its just a way to go fast in the dead of winter and also have everyone focused and also has the added benefit of being able to play amongst 1000 rated players and still be able to win because of circumstance and cunning play (sabotage and even running up to a disc thats further away and quickly playing it do sabotage team members).... its like a mix between the disc golf version of russian poker and croquet.

Let's see....

White Star Eagle, was playing in a mountainous regions. When I threw the disc it was going straight at the hole so i knew that was bad news because it still had to fade. The hole was just off the crest of a hill to the left, so when the disc faded to the left and over the hill, your guess is as good as mine as to where it went.

Champ tie-die leopard. Threw it in a pine tree, nothing could get it down, then it mysteriously disappeared, no phone call or anything.

Champ tie-die monarch. Slightly hilly course and I overthrew the hole. Not a lot of land to cover but just never found it.

Cant remember the disc but the wind caught it and took it into a power distribution facility.

My personal favorite: playing with a friend he wanted to play around a water hazard because he was new to the sport (not a large pond). He decided to throw over probably 10 feet over water and he slipped, the disc went too high and smacked a tree branch and took a nose dive into the middle of the pond. We both just had to laugh.

Practicing a high hyzer shot over trees for a week before a tournament, nailing bird after bird, and then on tournament day throwing the same shot only to lose it in the trees. @#$%^

My first best disc, a double-stamped CE QMS with a Shark stamp and a QMS Appoved stamp. Milky-white CE. When the stamps wore completely off, I asked my son to draw a design on it. Beautiful, absract sharpie art. Got compliments on it constantly.
My first (Comet) throw sucked way right, so I got out the CE QMS and threw a better line to the left. Asked my buddy to pick up the QMS. He forgot, I forgot. Went back 3 holes later, but the course was so crowded with noobs and college-aged kids. Never got it back.

Not exactly lost a disc, but a frustrating attempt at recovering it.

Went out and played a round today before it rains. Got to hole 3 and a group of guys i see often came obver, one of them being a dude who found my Glow Avenger. He says if I sit tight on hole 3, he'll drive back over here once he gets his car( they were leaving) and he'll give it back.

So i wait....

Wait some more...

Putt horribly in the wind while waiting.....

Wait some more while watching some rednecks poke at a turtle they dug out of a creek...

I wait there for 30 minutes before i finally said "@^@% it". I'd have rather him said nothing at alll rather than give me false hope. I wager there's 3 ways that this went down:

1.They walked back to the car, and simply forgot after they had gone a ways.

2.They walked back to the car, smoked a bit, then forgot and left.

3. They did it just to screw with me for absolutely no reason.

Hole 3 at Woodmere. Was playing a round with my then 6 year old son, hand him a Starlite Teebird. He proceeds to shank it into the tree 8 feet off the tee pad to the right. Looked for that disc for 20 minutes never found it, never got a call about it, nothing. Disc just disappeared into the ether.

My home course is overloaded with thorns, poison ivy, and TONS of ticks. If you stray off the fairway in the summer months you're SOL, But of course you can't ever just let it go. So you look for it for awhile, get ripped up by thorns, get a few ticks on ya, and definitely poison ivy. When you don't find it, and your painful efforts were fruitless, thats the worst way I've lost a disc.

I also saw someone with a floating disc in the middle of a lake with no way to get to it. I'd rather watch my disc sink into the abyss than float in the middle of the lake staring at me.

My home course is overloaded with thorns, poison ivy, and TONS of ticks. If you stray off the fairway in the summer months you're SOL, But of course you can't ever just let it go. So you look for it for awhile, get ripped up by thorns, get a few ticks on ya, and definitely poison ivy. When you don't find it, and your painful efforts were fruitless, thats the worst way I've lost a disc.

I also saw someone with a floating disc in the middle of a lake with no way to get to it. I'd rather watch my disc sink into the abyss than float in the middle of the lake staring at me.

The floater is only good if it is water you are willing to go in after. Some ponds around here - now way.

I would have posted this in another thread, but it was 20 months old so I figured I would post here.

Holy crap my Golden Retriever hooked me up yesterday! Was at a very familiar hole that I've lost at least 2 discs in yesterday. Threw my old DX Valkyrie and just completely messed up my forehand throw and it basically rolled on the water for 7 feet and flipped upside down. Floated briefly but while I was unwinding the string on my golden retriever it sank. Fortunately my buddy was eyeing it so he helped spot the area. After about 7 tries I was ready to give up, then magically it appeared on my second to last attemp (I already stated I would try just one more time after that successful grab). I was surprised though since the retriever isn't that big I figured the margin of error for throwing it in the right location was small.

Into the Sewer

My son had a soccer practice near Prior Lake HS - I decided to drop him off and practice some putting and midranges at the never completed Prior Lake High School course. Notice the storm drain near where I was standing when I took the picture, there is another right next to the basket. You can guess what happened. Had just bought a couple new mids and was becoming familiar with them. I threw my new Shark3 - had a good line but slightly long, landed in grass but rolled onto pavement and directly onto the grate in storm drain - dropped straight through. Bottom of drain was about ten feet down from street level....

Came back next day with extension pole and suction cup (used to change light bulbs) and was able to retrieve my Shark3 - now nicknamed "Sewer Shark".

Attachments

• prior.jpg
    prior.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 34
I've played maybe ten rounds all year, played my first tourney of the season two weeks ago. Third hole of the tourney, immediately after taking a CTP (that held up), I go double circle 7 putting two deep in a lake. First a beat ESP Buzz I probably shouldnt have thrown into the wind, but I figured my Cryztal Wasp would fight through it. Apparently I developed an OAT problem while sittin on my hands all summer.

More than once, I've gone out for fieldwork, and after collecting discs, I packed up and drove off. Only after getting home did I check my bag and realize I left a disc out there. Of course it was nowhere to be found upon my return. Now I am super picky about the order/placement of discs in my bag. It's less about finding what I want to throw at any moment, and more of an easy way to check and make sure I have everything when I finish each hole, round, tourney, etc.