• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Would you buy a PIRANHA...? If Innova made a new mold....

What plastic would you want...?

• Total voters
wow, they would have to sell 2500 dx piranhas to just recoup the cost of the mold and material costs, but I would imagine they could sell that many over a few years and more. Nothing like a cfr piranha to get people interested again.

They didn't really put a whole lot of faith in our request for Gators. They have to be getting close to 2500 sold in a handful of small releases. I don't think they'd have any trouble selling 2500 DX Piranhas, especially with the fever we create here. They should do it as an act of faith to say thank you to the people that put them on the map. They just have to make sure to run enough initially so they won't have to limit the purchase amounts like the Gators.

piranha flies nothing like a birdie- waaaay more overstable.

i still throw the soft ones- i'd buy some. best shortrange forehand disc ever.

On the PDGA site Dave said the mold doesn't exist anymore

Mar 20 2012, 09:49 PM #12696
davei
PDGA Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
Dave,

Is there any chance of seeing the Innova Ram making a come back for the Proshop?

Also, what about the piranha? My last one just cracked in half.

Ram yes, Piranha no. The Piranha mold no longer exists. Sorry.

so i guess that we would need to raise the money for the mold. is there a patent on the mold of the disc/name? could we get discmania to make them?

so i guess that we would need to raise the money for the mold. is there a patent on the mold of the disc/name? could we get discmania to make them?

They're essentially Innova Europe so it'll still mean Innova having to pay to have the mold remade whether it says Discmania or Innova on the stamp. It was stated earlier that it'll take 2500 discs to recoup the value of having the mold made. We'll probably have to have more than that in our request for them to want to do it since that's just to break even.

you sure it is 10,000...seems like way to much....

Yeah I'd say for a pretty basic mold like that $10k is a good starting point. In one of the mvp threads they said $40k for theirs, which are a bit more complex, and the molds in our shop cost in excess of $100k but are way more complex and probably 5-6 times as big.

Im guessing the old mold was recut into something else? I don't buy tha innova crap about molds breaking, we have products that have run for over two decades on their original tools.

If you wanted to do it and make it affordable you could have an aluminum tool cut. It's not as durable but for something like a disc mold that doesn't require a lot of tonnage under clamp and has few moving parts it would still last many years.
We run a lot of our prototype stuff on temp aluminum tools.

Just pull a mint one off the museum shelf stick it in your machine and tool a copy. I bet it would cost a lot less than 10k, a disc mold is not that complex. Maybe they retired the mold in honor of someone and are staying strong. Maybe Kalstrom has something to to with it.