• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play in this tournament?

Would you play this tournament?

• Total voters

rj29274

Double Eagle Member
(All hypothetical)

Entry fee: $35
Payout : Trophy Only (Winner of Am I and Am II each get a mini basket)
Player Pack: 3 premium plastic discs from DGA (manu by discraft)
Divisions: Amateur Only - Am I and Am II
Non sanctioned - (in early October, 50-60 degrees, Aspens in full bloom and killer views)
Max : 48 players

2 rounds at Arizona Snowbowl (beautiful course, Am friendly, Rnd 1: 1-18 Rnd 2: 1-5, 12-18 (otherwise it can be too much for 1 day))

25 percent off lunch and happy hour beer prices

2 CTPs per round valued at 25 dollars each

Ace pool (2), putting challenge (3) both optional - top 3 get merch in putting challenge (1st 3 disc, 2nd 1 sp disc, 3rd swag)

Hopefully the poll shows up, let me know if you would play!

Suggestions/criticism welcome!

Last edited:
I voted no for the exact reason on the poll. I don't throw any DGA (I honestly can't remember the last time I saw anyone throw a DGA disc), and I'm not a fan of "trophy-only" payout.

The entry fee is fine, the course sounds sweet, but I personally don't like the all DGA player pack, the cheaper beer & food is defiantly nice (wish more tourneys did that). I just prefer more plastic choices & would prefer a different payout but it defiantly isn't horrible (don't like the mini basket). I might compete just for the competition aspect though (favorite part of DG).

Cheers. I recently tried a SP Hurricane and became a fan immediately. It is almost the same as an S/DS Destroyer. I already throw a Z Pred and from what I have been told, the Tsunami is the exact same mold.

Thanks for the input Shawn.

Is a free mini basket an effective pull factor to play? Remember, each division's winner gets a free mini basket

Sauls:
(using pdga criteria)
Am I : Advanced
Am II : Intermediate

There would be 4 driver molds (SP and ProLine), 3 mid molds (SP and PL) and 1 putter in SP

Last edited:
I think the 4th choice should be two seperate ones. Some people may like DGA discs (or be willing to try) but not like trophy only.

Specifically, I'd play in it if I lived within about 1 1/2 hours, depending on what other events were nearby that weekend and on the weekend before and after.

Mostly on the assumption that Snowbowl would be fun. Course quality trumps just about everything for me, other than the calendar.

That said, I'll add that most of the other features mean little or nothing to me. Entry is reasonable, I don't care for players packs (but don't mind them being DGA), CTPs, Ace Pool, and contests are routine tournament fare around here, 25% off lunch seems a little odd (why not, "lunches for $6" or whatever).

Why limited to 48? Is it logistics, foursomes in Round 2 to be able to finish?

I do not believe I would pay $35 for a non-sanctioned 1-day event. I would prefer to buy my own discs of my own choice and play there casually (or in a sanctioned event). Looks like a great course!

Yeah, limited to 48 because the players would only play 12 holes. . .12 x 4 is 48. Snowbowl is a serious hike and cutting off those 6 holes makes sense time/energy wise (i just ran a byop doubles with this same layout and it worked great)

You pick which 3 discs you get ahead of time I presume? B/c I definitely wouldn't play for 3 random discs by any manufacturer, I've got enough discs I don't throw already, ha.

Dave -

Few players are current with the pdga in the Flagstaff area. Do you think 3 premium plastic discs for 35 is a good deal straight up?

You pick which 3 discs you get ahead of time I presume? B/c I definitely wouldn't play for 3 random discs by any manufacturer, I've got enough discs I don't throw already, ha.

Yes sir, first come first serve morning of the event. you would choose 2 SP discs and 1 ProLine disc

Molds available to choose from:

Hurricane, Undertow, Tsunami, Rogue, Reef (SP only), Shockwave (PL only), Squall (SP only), Aftershock

Also, I was thinking of running a random draw doubles open to all players the next day, Sunday. The rationale is to justify the travel time from Phoenix (2 plus hours) for those staying the night. It would be completely separate from Saturday's am only event. It would be cash payout with a few donated ctp's. Maybe $10 per player

I'd do it. When I play in tournaments, it's not really for the lucre. I'm honest enough with myself to know I'm in all probability not going to place. I go for the chance to win something randomly and maybe some trade bait, have some fun, and meet new people.

Few players are current with the pdga in the Flagstaff area. Do you think 3 premium plastic discs for 35 is a good deal straight up?

I was hypothesizing on whether or not I would play if I happened to be in Flagstaff and happened to have a completely free day (including free of wife and kids). Given what you have put forth, it looks like fun! But for me, PDGA sanctioning with all the benefits that come with that would tip the balance (even considering it would cost me an extra $10 since I am not current).

~$12 each for 3 premium discs is a good deal.....especially when you then kick in what amounts to a free tournament with other goodies included. But I do not really want 3 discs.....I have plenty (and I replace very specifically as needed). It is not an incentive for me to come.

Yeah, I think most flag folks prefer non-pdga so you can enjoy a beer during the round

Thanks for the response, I understand that rationale completely.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I wouldn't be playing so I could give 100 percent of my energy toward running a smooth event. It is tough to do both, I've tried.

Last edited: