• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play in this tournament?

Would you play this tournament?

• Total voters
Maybe it is just me, but sanctioning an event is significantly less appealing than a non-sanctioned one. All those fees and paperwork, for nothing but a rating. . .who cares?

Thanks for all the input and keep em coming. This format will certainly change. It may be a DGA and Legacy only party! And, I think I will find a place for Open players, too.

Maybe it is just me, but sanctioning an event is significantly less appealing than a non-sanctioned one. All those fees and paperwork, for nothing but a rating. . .who cares?

Thanks for all the input and keep em coming. This format will certainly change. It may be a DGA and Legacy only party! And, I think I will find a place for Open players, too.

I can see the headache from the TDs perspective but as a player i care. I am much more likely to play a sanctioned event than a non-sanctioned one. If this tournament were in my area and a sanctioned tournament were the same weekend i would choose the pdga tournament.

Less appealing to locals maybe. If you only want to get 30-40 people within a 30 minute drive to come out, the responses in this thread probably aren't going to help.

"nothing but a rating.. who cares?" really? What is the point of asking for opinions if you already have your mind made up as to what people want?

I can see the headache from the TDs perspective but as a player i care. I am much more likely to play a sanctioned event than a non-sanctioned one. If this tournament were in my area and a sanctioned tournament were the same weekend i would choose the pdga tournament.

Completely agree with this. :thmbup:

Eh, the appeal of PDGA sanctioning wore off on me after my first couple years of playing competitively. I prefer non-sanctioned these days. I think most ams like the pdga so they can get a rating, though.

If you're dealing with a parks department that requires insurance, the PDGA offers cheaper and easier to deal with insurance than you're going to find anywhere else. It also gives you free visibility for your event, lots of players check the PDGA event schedule for upcoming tourneys.

Funny guy Captain. . .

the pdga does not resonate very well in the high country. . .almost no one keeps their membership and the extra 10 pdga tourney fee is anti-American, lol. At least if it went to payout, but sadly, it doesn't. 3 buck per player, gone. But, you can click on your name!

End thread drift.

I don't throw any DGA and mini baskets are lame, but the course does look pretty nice. I'd probably save the 35 dollars and play on my own. I think the little bit of scrutiny I have could easily be overshadowed by how well the event is run. Make sure the course is tidy, have good helpers, communicate with participants, thank everyone at the end.

By sanctioning a tournament, I know that most people are playing by the same set of rules. No falling putts, no gimmies, no flipping the disc over... it just makes for a more uniform playing field. In addition, if anything goes wrong with the tourney, there is someone who I can report it to who could hand down punishments if required. It's not just about the rating...

If you're dealing with a parks department that requires insurance, the PDGA offers cheaper and easier to deal with insurance than you're going to find anywhere else. It also gives you free visibility for your event, lots of players check the PDGA event schedule for upcoming tourneys.

and thus the only advantages to sanctioning

I voted no, I would not. Because... I can't. So my vote is useless. :)

Most definitely not; I love keeping track of my progress and without the round being sanctioned, and since there are multiple rounds, I would have no incentive to blow $35 for discs I wouldn't be adding to my bag or anywhere else. I would then want to sell the extra discs, which is a chore. I don't want to have a chore as a player's pack.

In short, I'd rather spend that time practicing. There are plenty of PDGA events if I'm just looking to test my skills for fun :\

Close enough for me. :thmbup:

Keep all 3 discs I would never throw and don't want the hassle of reselling to get my money back. Rather it be $15-$20 to enter, no player pack and trophy only is fine if it is PDGA sanctioned. At least let me take home a rated round or two for my money. So I voted NO.

A tourney up at Snowbowl? Even with an abbreviated layout I'd strongly consider it (I voted Maybe). Entry fee is nominal. I don't care whether it's sanctioned or not. The DGA player's pack is nice, they have a solid lineup (I dig the Hurricane, Rogue, Tsunami, and Aftershock).

Honestly, the make-or-brake for me would be if I know anyone else playing in the tourney.

Funny guy Captain. . .

the pdga does not resonate very well in the high country. . .almost no one keeps their membership and the extra 10 pdga tourney fee is anti-American, lol. At least if it went to payout, but sadly, it doesn't. 3 buck per player, gone. But, you can click on your name!

End thread drift.

Wasn't looking to be funny.
I live in NY and the tourney is in AZ.
........the discount beer is a good thing
:D

RJ,

With your proposed model.. Where is the player break even mark? At 25, 35, at the full 48?
Do you know yet where that break point would be?

If you went to no discs, then you could almost essentially take attendance risk off the table. No way to lose your shirt if you are not on the hook for capital outlay order minimums. Then do what you want. Pair that with a reasonable entry fee, with or without sanctioning, and you could be good to go. (sanctioning comes in to manage the "other" risk, that of liability management)

Yet - as you have it, it sounds like a solid event price point/ structure. That is based on the 48 being a reasonable full field with plenty of local, semi regional demand. Plus, you get to have some custom stamped stuff for yourself if that's important to you as host.

Get a good theme going, respectable promotions promoting the event, course, competition,and the golf as the draw, a reasonable break even point to minimize risk, and have a great time!

Last edited:
I'd go. Sounds like good times. I'd rather get a sweet trophy disc than a mini basket, though. I don't play mini disc golf.