• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play in this tournament?

Would you play this tournament?

• Total voters
My vote was "maybe" because I would like it to be PDGA

I'd go. Sounds like good times. I'd rather get a sweet trophy disc than a mini basket, though. I don't play mini disc golf.

don't play or haven't played? mini disc golf is a blast, especially when you get a few different kinds and see how much different they fly. and during the winter i play alot around in my house.

I really appreciate all the input. I will tweek the format and plastic arrangement.

Almost 100 votes - keep the input coming

Payout : Trophy Only (Winner of Am I and Am II each get a mini basket)
Player Pack: 3 premium plastic discs from DGA (manu by discraft)
Divisions: Amateur Only - Am I and Am II
Non sanctioned - (in early October, 50-60 degrees, Aspens in full bloom and killer views)

I dont play am.

I dont care about trophies.

I have a fix bag and no DGA discs are in it, so the players pack would be useles to me.

So all in all, if I would play this tournament, it would be for the course and the community and the fun, not for any of the prices. But I would not be allowed to play it anyway cause of pro :/ You need a pro section man ^^

No, there are no women's divisions. And while I might have a chance of cashing in am2 if it paid 40%-50%, with trophy only, I have no chance at all. This format excludes me almost as effectively as it excludes pros.

This format excludes me almost as effectively as it excludes pros.

excludes you from what ? Playing ? Winning ? Getting cash at the end ?

If you just play for the fun of it, why worry if you get a trophy or money or nothing at all in the end.

It sounds like it would be a good time, but I voted "no" because 1) not sanctioned, 2) lunch not included, and 3) don't need three more discs added to my big pile of discs I will never use. If I were local and my friends were playing I would probably sign up and play the event anyways, but in general I wouldn't want to pay $35 for an unsanctioned event especially if it doesn't include lunch in that price. I have no issue with trophy only and I don't care too much about the players pack one way or the other, but for $35 I do expect lunch and sanctioning!

excludes you from what ? Playing ? Winning ? Getting cash at the end ?

If you just play for the fun of it, why worry if you get a trophy or money or nothing at all in the end.

Why would I pay to play for "fun" when I can play for fun for free at a different course in a casual round? I don't even care about payout. It's about an opportunity to earn a win. Trophy only converts 40% winners to only 1 winner. For me to play trophy only in am1 makes as much sense as me playing MPO. I'd have no chance at winning either. Playing MPO, I'd at least get to see some good golf. Your argument seems like it would lead to abolishing divisions entirely, if followed to its conclusion.

Can't believe there is this much carping about the tournament not being sanctioned. It not being sanctioned means that a little more money gets to stay home. I suppose with no payout though, that pretty much negates that benefit.

Makes me wonder where the money is going. Course improvement? Charity? Or else these better be some bitchin' trophies.

Why would I pay to play for "fun" when I can play for fun for free at a different course in a casual round? I don't even care about payout. It's about an opportunity to earn a win. Trophy only converts 40% winners to only 1 winner. For me to play trophy only in am1 makes as much sense as me playing MPO. I'd have no chance at winning either. Playing MPO, I'd at least get to see some good golf. Your argument seems like it would lead to abolishing divisions entirely, if followed to its conclusion.

I actually enjoy competing in tournaments, with all the pressure and all that stuff, and I can not just go and have fun on a casual round on some other course.

Well, that's just me. I dont care about things standing around and collecting dust. If I'd win a tropohy at a tournament, i'd just give it to some kid who wants it. The coming together and the competition are more important to me, and that is also what I pay for. As long as we have a good tournament, I could not care less what the TD does with his new money.

And wtf is that talk about abolishing divisions ? Dont put words in my mouth. Specially not dirty words like those.

Can't believe there is this much carping about the tournament not being sanctioned. It not being sanctioned means that a little more money gets to stay home. I suppose with no payout though, that pretty much negates that benefit.

I'm not one of the carps, but there is less attraction for a non-sanctioned event to me. I'd still probably go, due to the venue. No ratings, perhaps fewer of the people I regularly see and enjoy playing with at sanctioned events, less confidence in the consistency of format & rules---all and more are at least considerations.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Personally, I find it fun to play in an organized competition---more fun than just a casual round on my home course. I don't need an opportunity to win, something my record over the years makes painfully obvious. I've often entered divisions above my station, and frequently played events where winning was extremely unlikely. As long as it's not a certain-DFL, it's fun for me.

Which is not to say you should feel the same way. Just understand, that's where others of us are coming from.

don't play or haven't played? mini disc golf is a blast, especially when you get a few different kinds and see how much different they fly. and during the winter i play alot around in my house.

Can't convince myself to play. I'll agree it's fun seeing if you can get something intended to be a marker to fly a long way, or really accurately; but I don't need a special basket to do that.

... on the other hand, I've always thought using minis and mini baskets might be the solution to our too easy putting ...

yep!

i'd play if i didn't live in minnesota. 3 discs; hell yeah. that's 30-45$ value for me. and i love disc golfing so giving me more discs is a great idea. :)

On a side note, I got a SP Hurricane at league yesterday, not a bad disc at all. Very similar to the Destroyer.

I voted absolutely, but only because I know I'm getting my moneys worth and not because DGA. I would have to live with in a reasonable drive to play this type of an event also, I wouldn't do a 3 hour road trip for it. Looks like a nice set up, I think this would get some fresh faces showing up in the tournament scene.

I voted yes, because it sounds like it would be a fun tournament. Not because of the drinking. (I don't drink) or the players pack. I'll try any disc. If I don't like it I'll give it to someone else that could use it. But it just simply sounds fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions! A few changes have been made, including Open divisions, and a tentative date of Sat, October 4th. Stay tuned DGCR community and come on up to Arizona Snowbowl. Big player pack, NOT TROPHY ONLY, HUGE RAFFLE (including DGA Mach Lite, Gel Straps, Craft beer. . .), and more. 1 day, Non-sanctioned, 72 player field, pdga rules, discounted lunch

Latest posts