• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XL left the party, who to invite?

You could disc down just a bit with the River or TL. Or maybe you really need that XL. My EZ XL fills an important niche for me[skips, hi-arc hyzers, trusty hammers], but its tiedye yell/pur/red, and is destined to render itself unfindable some fall day. And the other 2 XLs don't fly like it at all.

The best kept secret of disc golf right now is the newer run opaque Champion Leopards. They are money dead straight stable but very workable. I've had one in the bag for 6 months and it is still nuts straight when I want it to be and sneaky long. If I was going to play a one disc round I would take the opaque champ leopard.

I tried a TeeBird in the same plastic and it is a flippy pos.

I'd go River. I had a XL in the bag, but like you didn't love it. I had a Leopard in the bag, didn't love it. Have Rivers in the bag now, really love it.

You could disc down just a bit with the River or TL.

Both of those discs have a slightly wider rim than the XL, so really that would be discing up.

Anyway, there are a ton of discs that fill the stable/understable fairway driver. I just use a seasoned up version of my stable fairway driver, the Teebird. Anything that's understable out of the box will end up being pretty flippy after the initial break in period.

Why not another XL, runs seem consistent. If def something new, I'd say leopard or river, both great discs.

For testing I think a Champ leo is the way to go for a couple reasons.

1. It is a really nice disc and handles the described job very well.
2. If you do not like it, it is an easy disc to trade for another you want to try.

Cheers - Koffee

QJLS. The "Swiss Army Knife" of disc golf drivers.

If you want to try something different. I like the Trak for that role.

For testing I think a Champ leo is the way to go for a couple reasons.

1. It is a really nice disc and handles the described job very well.
2. If you do not like it, it is an easy disc to trade for another you want to try.

Cheers - Koffee

Like the champ Leo, which is an awesome disc, the QJLS will do it the same way... faster.

Harder to "get rid of" the Trak.

Get a stalker! Perfect for this spot...

Have a Stalker for my straight slot, love it. Eventually the Stalker will beat in to fill this position.

Don't really care to disc up just to power down. I like to throw the same way every time and powering down really doesn't work for me. I let the disc do the work.

So far I'm leaning towards QJLS or Champ Leopard. Both have good reps and seem to fill the same spot with the Leopard seeming to be slightly variable in flights. May just come down which I can get in a color I like.

But I love the suggestions, I'll take more if anyone has any.

Second the River and Vision suggestions. Don't know how you feel about low weight discs, but the Diamond (149g) is very workable for me on many lines.

Had an XL in my bag on and off for at least 5 years. Never could get it do what I wanted.

To be honest I would just get another xl, its such an awesome disc. I wouldn't go with the flx though mine was flip city...great for big ol' turnovers however.

Latest posts