• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Bag / Discs

One question, would any of you recomend getting a starter set or a couple premium plastic discs first? Just curious.

Tough call. I do think you can have the best of both worlds these days because I think I've seen some starter sets are now coming in the more premium plastics.

I still have my original Nutsac bag and the champ Groove my friend gave me before my first round. I still use the Nutsac from time to time though the infinite slinger gets more travel bag use these days.

I am still friends with and play with the my friend that got me started despite giving me a Groove.

Yes, all has been forgiven. He putted with a Birdie until 2016 so that's punishment enough.

Since you mentioned it, the guy who introduced me to the game handed me a Destroyer the first time he took me out and I still talk to him.

Granted, the Destroyer isn't on the same level as the Groove but handing it to someone with zero disc golf experience is just cruel.

I personally started out with the Innova 3 disc starter set. After that, i got the four piece. My first premium plastic disc was the Star Mamba. That is the first distance driver i would recomend for any new player. One question, would any of you recomend getting a starter set or a couple premium plastic discs first? Just curious.

Depends on the kind of courses in your area that you like to play.

Like more heavily wooded technical courses? Probably not a good idea to use the starter kits as they are usually in baseline plastic that will get extremely beat in after a week of doinking trees so a few reliable premium plastic discs would probably be best.

Throw in mostly open, grassy courses? The baseline plastic starter kits are more than fine for those kind of courses.

I started out with the following that a friend gave me about 1.5 years ago.
- A couple of KC Pro Aviars
- A couple of Champ Roc3s
- A couple of Barsby Roadrunners
- A couple of Champ Thunderbirds

I still have one of the Roc3s, one of the Roadrunners, and both of the Thundys. Gave away the Aviars and lost one Roc3 and one Roadrunner to a pond that almost never gets raked. Different baskets, but same pond. Not sure if those are ever making it back...

When I started playing disc golf Innova, Discraft and Lightning were the only brands around.
The only two places nearby to purchase discs were Oshman's Sporting Goods or the trunk of someone's car.
Everyone I knew threw Innova, so my first discs were an Aviar Putter, a Roc and a Scorpion.
A year later I got a Viper, THE long range disc at the time.

Years later I purchased my first bag from Play It Again Sports, an original Wall City round bag.
These were very popular around Texas, being constructed and sold out of Austin.

All those discs and the bag are long gone, having been stolen from my vehicle.
I replaced the bag with another Wall City round which I occasionally still use.

My first bag was also the Wall City Round. Used it until I moved to NY and set it down wrong on a hill. Started rolling away, emptied out and spread discs down a 50' area. Bought an Innova Competition bag.

Nope and nope.

First discs I ever purchased were:
Omega Super Soft putter
Birdie
DX Cheetah
DX Eagle
Didn't bother with a bag.

Later got an 4 disc starter set that came with a cheap bag (my first bag).
Aviar, Shark, Leopard, and a Valk (I think).

Bag fell apart after a year or so and all those discs have been lost.

Used the old backpack that got me through my MBA as a disc bag for quite a few years before I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Fade Tourney bag and some Phenix Quad Shocks.

That old backpack is now my glow bag, and that Fade Tourney is my snow bag.

Last edited:
I started with a DX Birdie and a super beatup DX Archangel. My form was so atrocious that they were the perfect pair for about 4 months until I realized you can throw with more than your arm...

Birdie went splash at some point. I still have the Archangel and occasionally bag it if I need to throw a backhand while really pinned behind trees.

I personally started out with the Innova 3 disc starter set. After that, i got the four piece. My first premium plastic disc was the Star Mamba. That is the first distance driver i would recomend for any new player. One question, would any of you recomend getting a starter set or a couple premium plastic discs first? Just curious.

Personally, 10 years back, it took a good while for me to understand that perhaps non-premium plastic, as well as below max weight versions of many of the molds that I threw would have flown even better for the beginner me.

First discs were whamo catch frisbees. My favorite was the 165g model. Then golf specific discs became available and I went through most of the early discs like midnight flyers and kitty hawks, and early Discraft, Innova, and lightning. I gravitated to Discraft early on (Phantoms) and still have several of my original discs. My first DG specific bag was a Wall City Cube.

First discs were whamo catch frisbees. My favorite was the 165g model. Then golf specific discs became available and I went through most of the early discs like midnight flyers and kitty hawks, and early Discraft, Innova, and lightning. I gravitated to Discraft early on (Phantoms) and still have several of my original discs. My first DG specific bag was a Wall City Cube.

They were before my time, but I have always been a disc nerd and learned a bit about older discs. I got to mess with a friends Phantom pretty early on, he shredded with it. It was a ton of fun to throw. I ended up with 86 Softies in the bag after that. They were still somewhat available and I liked soft plastic.

Discs like the blocky rim of the Phantom probably is part of why I don't mind "uncomfortable" discs... I still giggle when people talk about how deep discs like the wizard feels and they don't understand how someone could throw them instead of low profile premium throwing "putters".

TLDR Old school discs are cool, and chunky discs that fill your hand a little are great too.

299622_129839730449319_2077492728_n.jpg

picture.php

202430_275639739202650_1874666027_o.jpg

The bag, yes. But I didn't need a bag till the `90s.
The original 1970's fastback driver is long gone but I still have one unthrown backup.
The original 1970s 150G Whamo pro model that I used as a putter is somewhere in my DG cabinet. You can still read most of the serial number. **** that thing is a horrible disc.

When I started playing disc golf Innova, Discraft and Lightning were the only brands around.
The only two places nearby to purchase discs were Oshman's Sporting Goods or the trunk of someone's car.
Everyone I knew threw Innova, so my first discs were an Aviar Putter, a Roc and a Scorpion.
A year later I got a Viper, THE long range disc at the time.

Years later I purchased my first bag from Play It Again Sports, an original Wall City round bag.
These were very popular around Texas, being constructed and sold out of Austin.

All those discs and the bag are long gone, having been stolen from my vehicle.
I replaced the bag with another Wall City round which I occasionally still use.

I had a longtime friend join me for a round last summer who had last played in 2004, and before that the last time was 1998. Brought his Wall City round bag that he fished out of the recesses of his garage. Brand-new looking Discraft Deuce putter in there!

I started playing close to 10 years ago. My first disc was a DX plastic Skeeter, and my second was a Buzz. My first fairway driver was a Tee-bird. My first bag was a Innova Standard which I wore out some years ago, but I'm still using a Innova Standard bag yet today.

I tried going to larger bags but went back to the Innova Standard. Larger bags were just to big, heavy, and cumbersome. Besides that I never acquired the skill set to take advantage of too many discs. Oh, I have plenty of discs, and I will rotate them in and out of my bag, but carrying a bunch of discs on me just doesn't work for me.

I started playing with a 163g Frisbee, as there was no place local to buy discs. I bought my first disc on the course from an out-of-town player who had one he'd sell me--a quite used Innova XD. Didn't get a bag for some time after that, after accumulating a few more discs.

My first two discs were a Red DX Leopard and a blue 2014 Trilogy Challenge Shield. The Leopard I threw in from about 200 for my first eagle.

As for bags it was a string backpack with UMB Bank printing.