• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your max distances: flight-only or roller?

gcoghill

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I am curious about whether or not people are including rollers/rolling as part of their max distance measurements. And also if some of the max distance records were flight-only or included rollers/rolling.

Personally I am in the "Flight Club", and measure flight distances only. I don't purposefully throw rollers, and rarely will they happen (although I will use them if they occur :p ).

I don't throw consistent rollers for enough distance to matter. Pretty much exclusive to trying to get through a bunch of low hanging stuff.

So for me, my distance is always for flight time.

ERic

My backhand really sucks so I will use a Forehand roller on holes around 275-300' where I need a good left finish at the end. Also use them when in trouble and no room for an airshot. Firebirds & Banshees work great for these shots.

I've rolled a sidewinder about 100' past a 350' hole but if someone askes me how far I throw I say 375'ish not 450.

if i get a good roller it's around 300' which is the same as my max flight distance

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I figured it was flight-only, but thought I would ask.

I was at Moraine State Park last weekend and hole 18 has a slight downhill grade. Added about 75 feet to my longest throw. Hard to track with the terrain, but it was easily 375-400 feet. I know for a fact that it had a lot to do with the downhill, as slight as it was.

On flat ground my average long throw is currently around 300'.

Roadrunner is considered one of the best roller discs....hence the name of the disc....although I don't roll that often, I found either the SL or TL to be good rollers. Usually I use it to get some distance in a tricky situation when I really don't have any other options.

Really beat up disc roll pretty well. I have a beat to hell DX Leopard (150 g) that rolls forever when I rip it just right. It has been my experience that the more understable a disc is the more likely it is to roll.

In my experience I only throw forehand rollers, however, I have seen people who throw backhand rollers as their drive. I was lucky enough to witness Micheal Johansen at a tournament in Charleston SC. this past summer. I was about 2 holes over from where there were on the lead Pro Card. There was a 600ft hole for them, fairly wide open and very straight. He threw a backhand roller that landed about 200ft. off the teepad, straightened out, and went about 570' total. Left him with about a 30ft. putt. Didn't get to see if he made the putt or not, definately in a tour pro's range, but he landed behind some thicker trees. Not sure what disc he used to do the backhand roller with, but it definately worked in that situation!

Roadrunner is considered one of the best roller discs....hence the name of the disc....although I don't roll that often, I found either the SL or TL to be good rollers. Usually I use it to get some distance in a tricky situation when I really don't have any other options.

Little-known trivia info: the Roadrunner was originally going to be part of the Millennium "Orion" line up...specifially the Orion LR (for "long roller"), but Innova liked it so much they kept it for themselves :)

Little-known trivia info: the Roadrunner was originally going to be part of the Millennium "Orion" line up...specifially the Orion LR (for "long roller"), but Innova liked it so much they kept it for themselves :)

Glad that they did...has now become one of my fav backhand straight drivers. I love millenium discs, but they are not to be found at tourneys. Every so often you will find a few, and that is when I pick them up.

Great responses in this post.

I find that my best thows turn over and have a slight "Annie" to them and towards the latter part of the flight will ever so slightly fade back to the exact straight line I was intending to release it on.
What I found worked awesome for me (as I started out and was having trouble throwing over 300', now my best drives are in the 430' range) was to watch a ton of videos online on the form of Pros and then go out and replicate them on a soccer field near my house. What's amazing after just a few short weeks of practice is that the repetition enables you to create muscle memory and quicker whip....

I in the park just last week and paced off my longest throw at 575 feet... (into the wind a bit too)

Mark Ellis (team Discraft) stated on one of his videos the best way to improve was to get out in a field or park with a friend and throw back and forth... He certainly wasn't lying. It really works and the results may blow you away!