• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your most embarrasing disc golf moment ever?

Great stories guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes an ass out of himself at the course on a weekly basis.

This thread is golden. I don't really have any stories besides my Quest Odyssey floater disc one. After getting it in the mail I went out to my field to practice with her. This disc has a tendency to correct it's angle no matter how you release it and fly straight as an arrow. So I'm really siched about this disc and it's characteristics. I meet up with the usual suspects later that day to play a round at Como Park which has some serious water holes. The whole time I'm hyping up this disc and how straight it flies. We get to a water hole and I bust her out for her maiden voyage over the drink. I'm standing in front of a huge creek that goes from my left to my right. All I have to do is shoot it straight across. I wind up for the most epic straight across drive of my life and totally screw up my release. This disc goes almost completely to my left with a huge fade. It lands directly in the middle of the creek 300 feet out to my left. So to add insult to injury I have to strip down to my underwear and swim out to retrieve it.

I was playing a local course (White Clay Creek) with a couple of my buddies and a friend of mine who was totally new to disc golf. I was on a hole that required a right fade and I stepped up to the tee and let rip a solid RHFH shot. This shot started out WAY too right and instead of going through the large opening in the trees it skipped between two trees that could not have been more than 3 ft apart and landed in the fairway. My friend said wow you meant to do that? I had to admit that I was way off and just got lucky.

Mine was just the other day. I saw the thread talking about the Chicken Wing, and decided to give it a try. Luckily I had people go in front of me, and I was back in the woods, because I completely griplocked my wasp to the left of me and into the woods. I felt like a complete dork just trying the chicken wing, let alone completely failing at it!

This thread is golden. I don't really have any stories besides my Quest Odyssey floater disc one. After getting it in the mail I went out to my field to practice with her. This disc has a tendency to correct it's angle no matter how you release it and fly straight as an arrow. So I'm really siched about this disc and it's characteristics. I meet up with the usual suspects later that day to play a round at Como Park which has some serious water holes. The whole time I'm hyping up this disc and how straight it flies. We get to a water hole and I bust her out for her maiden voyage over the drink. I'm standing in front of a huge creek that goes from my left to my right. All I have to do is shoot it straight across. I wind up for the most epic straight across drive of my life and totally screw up my release. This disc goes almost completely to my left with a huge fade. It lands directly in the middle of the creek 300 feet out to my left. So to add insult to injury I have to strip down to my underwear and swim out to retrieve it.

That's funny! I just played Como for the first time the other day, and as a result I'm planning on buying a Quest Odyssey Ultra-Long Range. When we went, only two of us out of five managed to clear the larger water hazard, and one of my friends stripped down and tried to save the discs. He got two of three, but the one he threw sank before he got to it.

I've got two of them...and they both suck.

The first I was playing with a couple of my buddies at Lakewood Dry Gulch, which I don't even think is listed on this site. OK so there is this family having a picnic right in the middle of the course in a little grove of trees, right between two fairways! This family obviously had no idea why all these people were throwing frisbees around their picnic and they didn't appear to speak any english, so I'm not sure anyone in my group could have explained...needless to say, it was a very busy day on the course.

So I come up to drive, and since they are in the trees on the left, I use my RHFH to make sure that my disc will fade to the right, safely away from the trees. Well, I rip a really nice one, but I swear the moment it left my hand, this little boy who couldn't have been more than three, comes running right out of the woods. I yell four as loud as I could, but no one knew why I was yelling until my disc popped this poor little boy directly in the forehead at just shy of the 300 foot mark.

The little boy went down and he had this terrible looking welt forming on his head...his parent came out, he was crying, there was all this talking and frantic spanish ahppening in front of me...I gave about 50 "Lo siento"'s and even think I bowed once or twice....I felt so bad I can't even tell you...but I was also annoyed by the family picnicing in the middle of the course between two fairways.....

My buddies will never let me live that down and I haven't been back to that course since....

I have seen people at this course camped in the fairways all the time. This course is temporarily removed due to light rail construction. I have heard from Mile High that there are plans to put it back in at some point. You could probably contact Ronnie at Badco to see if they know when. It was a good course.

I don't know about the most embarrassing moment of my disc golf life, but a good recent one would be the other night. We were playing Brighton on Wednesday night. We had found this little gel sandal in the treed area by nine the first time around. We decided that it would be the last place joke tag. If you shot the highest you would have to carry around a little girl's sandal until someone else shot a round worse than you. I threw a drive on hole #8 about 280ft right near the tee for #9. I threw my approach shot straight in to the tee sign for #9 they the hole for a bogey, parred the next hole forcing a playoff for the sandal. I botched my drive on the playoff hole and ended up carrying around the sandal.

That's funny! I just played Como for the first time the other day, and as a result I'm planning on buying a Quest Odyssey Ultra-Long Range. When we went, only two of us out of five managed to clear the larger water hazard, and one of my friends stripped down and tried to save the discs. He got two of three, but the one he threw sank before he got to it.

Haha. You aren't the guy who I gave directions to Como to at Beaver Island last Tuesday are you? Funny thing is that I rarely loose discs there at all any more. I know if it was my Surge I would have landed right near the pin. That was my second drive on 10 by the way. How do you like 14 at Como? I'm guessing that's where you guys lost your discs. That Quest is a great disc by the way. I just sucked out big time.

My most embarrassing moment was getting a 9 on a 230 foot hole. It was hole 14 at central park in Ga. I had gotten it to about 15 feet from the basket on my first shot and then the trouble started. The basket was located in the base of a tree right at the top of a steep hillside that runs down to creek.

My first putt just barely missed the chains and flew straight into the creek. After taking my penalty stroke I went for it and hit the basket and rolled back down into the creek.

Now after my second penalty I decided to be safe and lay up. I however hit the base of the pole and saw my disc turn onto its edge and roll back to me and into the creek.

Following my third penalty throw I was finally able to get it laid up by the basket safely. Unfortunately for me this time I was the one to end up in the creek. Finally after pulling my soggy defeated self out of the creek and climbing back up the hillside I mercifully set the disc into the basket.

Last edited:
Haha. You aren't the guy who I gave directions to Como to at Beaver Island last Tuesday are you? Funny thing is that I rarely loose discs there at all any more. I know if it was my Surge I would have landed right near the pin. That was my second drive on 10 by the way. How do you like 14 at Como? I'm guessing that's where you guys lost your discs. That Quest is a great disc by the way. I just sucked out big time.

No, that's not me. And yes, it was hole 14 that my friends didn't make it over. The hole's a little scary, but there are few things in disc golf more satisfying than the moment your disc lands safely on the other side of a water hazard.

As for the Quest, everything I've read about it sounds good to me, but it should be interesting to actually feel the disc. I've never seen one, but the construction is odd, so I hope I like it.

I have five putted a hole once. Number 4 at South Mountain. After my horrible tee and good approach left me twenty feet to the basket, I get out my 175g Champion Rhyno. First putt sails right and goes twenty feet down the hill. So I try to just lay it up, and it hits the basket and ends up back at my feet. Third putt misses right and the 4th putt shanks short off the basket. I'm always good for at least three putts on that hole, I don't know why. Em-freakin'-barassing.

My bonehead faux pas:

Conversation with Valerie Jenkins at the Texas State DG Championships:

Me: Where's your husband?

V: Uh......, What husband?

Me: Avery. Isn[t he your husband?

V: (Silence...then a giggle) Uh,no.......he's my brother.

Me: Excuse me while I go remove my foot from my mouth!

Woodpecker<<< has wore out two pair of shoes from kicking myself in the butt for stupid stuff like this!!!

My bonehead faux pas:

Conversation with Valerie Jenkins at the Texas State DG Championships:

Me: Where's your husband?

V: Uh......, What husband?

Me: Avery. Isn[t he your husband?

V: (Silence...then a giggle) Uh,no.......he's my brother.

Me: Excuse me while I go remove my foot from my mouth!

Woodpecker<<< has wore out two pair of shoes from kicking myself in the butt for stupid stuff like this!!!

Whoops, I'd have liked to see the look on her face.

About 3 months ago i was playing a round with a co-worker, JohnT1969 and a friend of his...teeing off on 14 or 15 of Harris Lake...i let rip a decent drive and my follow through leg (RHBH), left leg comes around like normal, and I go to put weight on it to follow through, unfortunately my leg isn't there, it whips right through the standing position and is out in front of me...I have already started the weight transfer to a leg that's not there to support it and I spin around facing the opposite way of the basket...so now i'm suspended in mid-air, no legs under me at all, and I come down hard on my left knee right on the edge of the concrete pad..they guys i was playing with all look at me with mouths wide opening wondering if i was all right as it was a pretty hard fall, i finished the round, the knee swelled slightly and was a little sore...i haven't been to the doctor, but i'm pretty sure i chipped my knee cap, there's a definite divot in my left one that's not in my right one...good times...

About 3 months ago i was playing a round with a co-worker, JohnT1969 and a friend of his...teeing off on 14 or 15 of Harris Lake...i let rip a decent drive and my follow through leg (RHBH), left leg comes around like normal, and I go to put weight on it to follow through, unfortunately my leg isn't there, it whips right through the standing position and is out in front of me...I have already started the weight transfer to a leg that's not there to support it and I spin around facing the opposite way of the basket...so now i'm suspended in mid-air, no legs under me at all, and I come down hard on my left knee right on the edge of the concrete pad..they guys i was playing with all look at me with mouths wide opening wondering if i was all right as it was a pretty hard fall, i finished the round, the knee swelled slightly and was a little sore...i haven't been to the doctor, but i'm pretty sure i chipped my knee cap, there's a definite divot in my left one that's not in my right one...good times...

well with that new insurance thing for the uninsured you will be all set.

I was playing at World's Biggest Disc Golf Weekend, and I was on #5 on Jack Brooks #1 in Hitchcock, TX, and the basket is up on a small hill in the woods. The first shot, I got with in 25 feet, but then it took me 4 more shots to hit the basket. I was very upset with my self and quite embarrassed.

Today I griplocked a shot over the fence at a little league game, and had to walk all the way around the inside of the outfield fence to retrieve my disc with all the kids and all their parents staring at me. Sigh.

Today I griplocked a shot over the fence at a little league game, and had to walk all the way around the inside of the outfield fence to retrieve my disc with all the kids and all their parents staring at me. Sigh.

Oh man, I bet that was a strange feeling. Did you take your next shot from the field?