• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Basically it comes down to wether or not I pair it with a more OS slower glidey mid with a similar hand feel(roc/ghost) or a higher speed driver like midrange( buzzz etc.) tough decisions! At least I know I want the comet! Never thought I'd be throwing Discraft.

Yeah this is definitely the question. Also to factor in is do you throw speed 7ish fairways or the 9ish control drivers, as I find I can hit those low ceiling straight tunnels powered down a bit easier with the Leo/FD type speed 7 fairways to mimic a low ceiling mid if necessary.

If your Comet turns, then pairing with something like a Roc3 works because it can handle all the straight/wind/hyzer/flex lines, and can do low ceiling a little bit better. If your Comet is pretty straight then you can add either a low line drive Buzzz style mid or something like a Verdict that is both more stable and fast for a lot of variety, as a straight Comet can take care of a lot of milder lines.

Yeah this is definitely the question. Also to factor in is do you throw speed 7ish fairways or the 9ish control drivers, as I find I can hit those low ceiling straight tunnels powered down a bit easier with the Leo/FD type speed 7 fairways to mimic a low ceiling mid if necessary.

If your Comet turns, then pairing with something like a Roc3 works because it can handle all the straight/wind/hyzer/flex lines, and can do low ceiling a little bit better. If your Comet is pretty straight then you can add either a low line drive Buzzz style mid or something like a Verdict that is both more stable and fast for a lot of variety, as a straight Comet can take care of a lot of milder lines.

Wasp is perfect for this imo.

Depends on your style and how much fade you are needing. Stability-wise I surround my comet with a big z zone, z wasp, and sometimes a z hornet. Anything faster than that I'm using a neutron resistor for tweener mid-fairway stability.

I pair a beefy Pinnacle Ghost with my Comet and it works great. There are quite a few beaded midrange molds that have reliable stable flights and similar hand feel, and IMO really any of them can pair well with a Comet.

I pair a beefy Pinnacle Ghost with my Comet and it works great. There are quite a few beaded midrange molds that have reliable stable flights and similar hand feel, and IMO really any of them can pair well with a Comet.
I've been pairing them with Sentinels for years, but like you said there really isn't anything magic about that pairing. It is one of several discs that would work for that.

How does the new esp comet fly compared to the tour series comet? Is it as stable?

I recently got an pink ESP Comet that was flat and is actually fairly beefy for that mold. It's not the 2018 ESP it's the run before that. I was surprised.

I recently got an pink ESP Comet that was flat and is actually fairly beefy for that mold. It's not the 2018 ESP it's the run before that. I was surprised.

I have a pre-2018 ESP one and it matches that description. Flat and beefy for a Comet, I love throwing hyzer flip to hyzer with it. Its PLH is noticeably higher than my normal domed Z's.

Yup. I have like 30 of those LEs and they can be beefy even though they are relatively flat.

The one I have is not an LE. A couple of years ago they released the Comet in regular production ESP and most of those came out flat and flippy.

Ah, sorry. Mine are all first and second run LEs. First run was definitely late '07 or early '08. I got mine in Jan '08. Fell in love, bought all the heavy LEs I could find thinking they would never run another "limited" edition. Boy was I wrong! LOL

Oh well, I guess you can never have too many Comets.

I really like this new max weight MJ comet. Really beefy compared to my 174g big z. I can put a lot power behind it and flips flat and goes lazerbeam straight. Almost hit an ace with it today! I also like how flat it is. I can even sidearm it with confidence.

I think I have to go and compare those new esp ones because if they are going to be always available I dont't have to go and buy all the last MJ comets from my local store :D

Ah, sorry. Mine are all first and second run LEs. First run was definitely late '07 or early '08. I got mine in Jan '08. Fell in love, bought all the heavy LEs I could find thinking they would never run another "limited" edition. Boy was I wrong! LOL

Oh well, I guess you can never have too many Comets.

Expecting the same drought between runs, I stocked up on the 3rd runs. So thrilled they were such a nice run.

Latest posts