• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tesla

I have, and they look just as vague as every other flight chart or number system. Just like a good book, the reviews on the back don't tell me the story. Cracking it open, bending the spine and pouring over every word until you have a headache is the only way to know a story.

I think the MVP flight chart is actually a great attempt that turned out bad. I was trying to describe some MVP discs to my dad, and I showed him the Volt-class chart from the MVP site (since the Volt is the greatest disc release int he last five years...have I mentioned that before?) and he took a look, looked back at me and literally said "What the **** is this mumbo jumbo?"

My dad has been playing since the 70s, so he's seen plenty of flight charts. I don't think anyone has got it "right" yet. Its a damn tough thing to do.

Back on track: my wife said my Teslas arrived yesterday, but she won't open them until I get home, no matter how much I beg her to! Hurry up May 6th!

So being home in the States and seeing your wife is secondary to seeing your Tesla. Amarite? :D

I played 30 holes today and I have to say I like the Tesla. I need more room to work with it than the Inertia, but when I have it, I can get good flight out of it.
As far as everyone saying it is a longer Volt, I can almost see that. Its high speed flight path is similar to the Volt, but from the point that the low speed fade starts, I see quite a bit more fade.
A few days back I had posted that I was worried that the Tesla would be too deep to flick correctly, I was wrong. I can get it to turn over slightly and then flatten out an glide right before the fade starts. Very nice.

Complete submersion in a hot bath of I-Dye poly Turquoise for 15 minutes. The bath was slightly acidic. I can't tell you the exact ph...I did not think to bring any ph papers home.

So being home in the States and seeing your wife is secondary to seeing your Tesla. Amarite? :D

Nope. Apparently my dog got fat while I've been gone, so my first disc-related activity will be some serious disc dog action. See if he remembers our routine.

Tesla will be day two, when my daughter is in school and my wife is teaching and my dog is too pooped from the day before haha.

The Tesla was designed to go straight at...oh...maybe 375' or more of distance. (And I only know this from reading reviews and Mike's video)

So, is it a straight disc? By design, at full potential, yes. But would you tell a guy who throws 200 that it will fly straight for him?

How about a Vulcan? I couldn't get the one I threw to turn for the life of me. But it is a "flippy" disc to others. This is why MVP's flight charts are, IMO, the best in the industry. They tell the whole story at a glance.

200'? Really? Come on, Sky. You're better than that.

200'? Really? Come on, Sky. You're better than that.

Here's what I know. The Tesla is a great disc for normal-armed players who want a longer, overstable fairway driver. It should beat in quite nicely, giving extra D as it loses some of its bite.

And for big arms it'll be a straight distance driver with a dependable fade.

Trying to redirect the thread back on track.

BigSky: I throw just a little farther than you. How did it stack up to the Volt for you? I'm not one of those guys who can bomb a Volt 450 feet, but I can stretch it pretty far. Do you think I would gain appreciable distance with the Tesla, or will it be more or less in the same ballpark?

Here's what I know. The Tesla is a great disc for normal-armed players who want a longer, overstable fairway driver. It should beat in quite nicely, giving extra D as it loses some of its bite.

And for big arms it'll be a straight distance driver with a dependable fade.

Trying to redirect the thread back on track.

These two statements don't matchup lol

I think he means low power players will get fairway D out of it, while bigger arms can tap into the actual distance capacity of the disc.

I know what he means. A low power player shouldn't be using a distance driver class disc as an overstable fairway disc (to clarify distance driver as in 11-14 speed).

I'm a 310-340ish thrower and I use Vipers, Firebirds and PDs for overstable shots because they are within my range of control. I'm not going to recommend to anybody with a lower power that they should start using a Boss, Destro, Tesla etc. for overstable shots when they can get the job done with drivers they can control.

andy I don't think you will have any trouble noticing the difference. I can throw my proton eclipse volt about 320-340max with a slight head wind to help it turn. my old neutron volt I could get 330-350max in calm conditions. the tesla not even broke in yet I can get 340-360 with a slight head wind. Once it breaks in a little I can see me getting out to 360-380. And once I lose some more weight and clean my form up some I don't think i'll have a problem hitting 400 with the tesla. I had one of the local pro's throw it today it's amazing how much a disc acts different in the hands of someone with more skill. He threw my tesla in a open field at what looked like 65-75% and it flew dead straight about 350 b4 fading a little and finish about 400.

Last edited:
I know what he means. A low power player shouldn't be using a distance driver class disc as an overstable fairway disc (to clarify distance driver as in 11-14 speed).

I'm a 310-340ish thrower and I use Vipers, Firebirds and PDs for overstable shots because they are within my range of control. I'm not going to recommend to anybody with a lower power that they should start using a Boss, Destro, Tesla etc. for overstable shots when they can get the job done with drivers they can control.

I do not do a run-up, so unless I am throwing high for glide, I max out around 300 feet. Yet I found the Tesla to perfect for shots that need to fade left after a straight flight(backhand). I found the Tesla to easier to control than either my Saint, Volt or Craves.
Heck, I was using an ESP Avenger for these shots before, and that is faster than the Tesla.

Of course I can flick the Tesla fast enough to turn it over, so it is the perfect speed for that shot.

Last edited:
Thanks, brutalbrutus. I'm trying to go three molds in every slot, and I'm running Firebird/Volt/OLF for the control driver slot. I'm kind of hoping the Tesla will fit between the Giant and Tern in my distance driver slot, even if it is a little slower than the Tern and Giant.

My tesla is 175g also so I could probly get a lighter one to flip up and ride the glide better. this disc definetly has the glide that makes MVP so awesome. But I kinda wanted a heavier one so I could replace my max for awhile with it, until it breaks in. I'm hoping that will coincide roughly with the motion's release.

I agree with you, and I certainly wouldn't recommend the Tesla to a low power player. If you need to go MVP for that route, go with the Servo and increase your control. However, people are still going to throw what they want to throw, so it's inevitable people who don't hit the power requirements of the Tesla will use it anyway. In that regard, BigSky is providing useful information, even if it doesn't stand up to what one should do.

There really isn't a "correct" disc to throw in our game. You throw what gets the job done. This has been proven time and time again in many situations.

Having said that, I like the Shock more than the Tesla. For my arm, they do pretty much the same thing, but the Shock feels better in the hand. To each his own, I guess.

Was throwing the tesla on a rope today. Dead straight on low lines with a predictable fade, its a great disc and has more distance potential than my volt.. easier to throw as far and powered up considerably more distance potential than the volt by a good 40' or more.

Hitting 400 easily with the tesla,

The glide is a lot better than i was expecting after reading bigskys review, and it doesnt have that bite its just a smooth predictable fade.

Im seriously considering dropping the volt and using the tesla in its place as good as th volt has been for me.