• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tesla

Don't worry about the overmold. You just hit something sharp at the perfect angle. It happens sometimes, unfortunately.

Got a chance to throw this mold. It truly lived up to my expectations as a faster volt. Is has an overstable glide comparable to a Prodigy D2, basically a very forward penetrating fade. I can see this breaking in to be a very reliable workhorse driver.

I have a Green 167g Tesla that flies different from all my others.. has some turn to it and rides a straight line much longer with a more forward fade (i LOVE this one). the other 4 teslas i have all fly pretty much the same, Its as if the green one was seasoned right out of the box, I am also getting about 20-30' more distance with it consistently over the rest of them. The slime green is a new color i have never seen from MVP before so that might explain why it is so different.

I also tried to replace the volt with the teslas today in a practice round, didn't work out too well.. i was consistently overshooting the basket, it will take time to adjust for the extra distance potential but i think they will eventually be able to cover the same shots.. i probably should have been using the crave for the distances i was throwing today anyways.

And i also noticed after hitting a gravel path today that one of my Teslas took some crazy damage to the overmold, now i have hit that path probably 30 times in the past couple years with various MVP discs and none of them have taken damage like the Tesla.. not sure if they have made the plastic blend a little less durable so they break in faster or what, but it looks like Innova star plastic the way the gravel chewed at the wing.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Teslas, they fly exactly how i would have wanted them to, cant wait for the Motion.

Threw my 175g hot pink Tesla today and afte a few throws, intuitive is a really accurate descriptor. It flies very similar to a longer teebird for me (also very intuitive disc for me). While it has rock solid HSS, the speed and fade combo really makes for an easy to throw disc control driver. Similar to a PD, it also powered down very well. Really excited to get this mold out on a longer course.

And i also noticed after hitting a gravel path today that one of my Teslas took some crazy damage to the overmold, now i have hit that path probably 30 times in the past couple years with various MVP discs and none of them have taken damage like the Tesla.. not sure if they have made the plastic blend a little less durable so they break in faster or what, but it looks like Innova star plastic the way the gravel chewed at the wing.

I took some crazy damage the first day out with my Inertia and was wondering if the plastic was different as well. I have thrown my Volt into everything imaginable and it barely has a scratch on it.

The Inertia's over-mold seems a bit brittle, mine gouged instead of being cut. Perhaps there is a way of measuring the the flexibility of the over-mold without destroying it...I will think on it.

So, based on the few throws I've had with this, it's not a longer Volt. I would say it's a slightly longer Shock. I see VERY little turn and while I can wing the Inertia out to 400+ with the right hyzer flip (which is hard to achieve, for me), the Tesla goes maybe 20-30 foot longer than the Shock.

I need better form so I can get more power into it, maybe that will differentiate it from the Shock, for me, but so far... hmm. Not sure.

I also have found a gash in my inertia. It almost looks as if it tried to cut a sliver out of it but didn't quite cut thru the whole rim, it looks like it closed itself back up. if you push next to the gash it will reopen slightly.

On the overmold issue: I was having the same problem with my Neutron Envys. They beat up pretty fast, but the flight has not changed much, if it all. Maybe a little less fade..thats a big maybe. Still has that good high speed stability. So I wouldnt worry too much about it on the drivers. Maybe its not a change in blend but more of a side effecr of increased volume of production or something?

But yeah, nothing to worry about flight wise.

On the overmold issue: I was having the same problem with my Neutron Envys. They beat up pretty fast, but the flight has not changed much, if it all. Maybe a little less fade..thats a big maybe. Still has that good high speed stability. So I wouldnt worry too much about it on the drivers. Maybe its not a change in blend but more of a side effecr of increased volume of production or something?

But yeah, nothing to worry about flight wise.

Andy-- I would admit I see this in the crave but am wondering if it actually has to do with the coloring and vs being black the apperace is much more rough but actually black MVP overmolds beat up just the same you don't notice it as much-- same with white ones on eclipse or the new tesla.. I threw that thing RIGHT into a tree full power but it looks fine and yet my pink OM on the crave has some white and other looking marks but the flight is legit.

IMO its more cosmetic like due to stress and the coloration which gives it a beat up look while the black has been just as beat it doesn't APPEAR as much that way. My tesla in black and inertia are no different than any other MVP I have had which CAN get big scuffs like any disc but the color hides it IMO and the axiom discs do not as well for sure.. Cores in neutron are slightly softer but im not sure they are any less durable-- I almost emailed MVP direct on this but did some more testing first before I wasted their time and found both OM scratch/scuff as easy even my FR vector but the colored show much more impact and the newer neutron give a rougher look while the older scratches more.

Last edited:
Andy-- I would admit I see this in the crave but am wondering if it actually has to do with the coloring and vs being black the apperace is much more rough but actually black MVP overmolds beat up just the same you don't notice it as much-- same with white ones on eclipse or the new tesla.. I threw that thing RIGHT into a tree full power but it looks fine and yet my pink OM on the crave has some white and other looking marks but the flight is legit.

IMO its more cosmetic like due to stress and the coloration which gives it a beat up look while the black has been just as beat it doesn't APPEAR as much that way. Feel me?!

I definitely agree with this. I've noticed this in my crave as well.

I most likely would not recommend any MVP disc to a straight up beginner. I have yet to fund one that is beginner friendly, save for the Anode. Even the much-hyped Tangent requires a good understanding of snap and form to work as intended. I would never give them a Tesla.
:(

Yep, as a guy who is one year into it, I have to say MVP discs can be tricky creatures, especially the drivers.
The Anode is easy, the Ion loves to wobble when not thrown super smooth, the Tangent is straight then drops, the Axis needs a good snap, the Resistor might as well be an OS midrange for me, the Servo is quite nose-sensitive, the Volt fades hard at 275', and the Amp does ok.

Now I know that my form needs work, so I don't blame MVP. Nonetheless, I would not suggest someone buy them until they get their game down. I got lured in by their good looks and MikeC videos. Oh well, someday they will fly.

I have been playing 3 months and I love the MVP discs. MVP, Prodigy and Prodiscus.

The only thing I have noticed about the MVP's is that they seem to want to be 'snapped' harder than a similar speed non-MVP disc.
The Volt did more to force me to have good form(well compared to what it was at least) than any other disc has.

I don't understand the idea that new players should not use MVP. I would give any sidearm player the Tesla as soon as he/she is ready for a driver.

I have been playing 3 months and I love the MVP discs. MVP, Prodigy and Prodiscus.

The only thing I have noticed about the MVP's is that they seem to want to be 'snapped' harder than a similar speed non-MVP disc.
The Volt did more to force me to have good form(well compared to what it was at least) than any other disc has.

I don't understand the idea that new players should not use MVP. I would give any sidearm player the Tesla as soon as he/she is ready for a driver.

I'm still in the learning curve for the volt. But in my opinion, the low-speed fairway drivers are pure gold for anyone wanting to learn how to throw correctly, as they really reward correct form, but also don't screw you over if you aren't perfect. The Tesla might be good for a sidearm player initially, but I don't think that it would encourage the thrower to learn better form, and might be a bit too much disc for a newer player.

I would recommend any of MVP's stuff to a beginner. I stared with the Anode. Easy. I then tried an Axis and got my first Ace with the first throw. After that lucky throw I kept turning it over because I have a serious OAT problem. The Axis taught me how to throw correctly. MVP makes you learn how to throw a disc and you're a better golfer for it and you end up having a lot more control over the disc.

And here's my Tesla review:

I got a 167 special edition. Right off the bat I loved the way it felt and the soft neutron plastic. I love the curve of the bottom of the rim. Fits my hand just right.

My first few throws I wasn't greatly impressed mainly because I didn't see where it would fit in my bag. For me it was a solid 10|5|-.5|2. The problem is it's a ton of fun to throw and easy to throw. I love the forward fade. The fade actually reminds me of my blizzard Boss, long and forward. By the end of an hour of field work it's in the bag.

For me it's what I wanted the shock to be. It might battle with my Champion Teebird but the teebird has a later fade and doesn't go quite as far. It's already kicked the Proton Volt to the curb. I still bag my beat in N Volt which has lost almost all of it low speed fade.

The forward fade and long glide will come in useful. I'm warming up to it.

I'm getting one this week. I used to throw champion wraiths as my workhorse driver. How would you guys compare the Tesla to a max weight wraith?

I'm getting one this week. I used to throw champion wraiths as my workhorse driver. How would you guys compare the Tesla to a max weight wraith?

The Tesla is more overstable than the Wraith, especially HSS.

Latest posts