The Open At Austin

Im ok with OB in the woods because 80% of scramble shots are impossible to gauge as a viewer.

Also you are really punished for not hitting your line, which without OB players get away with it way too much.

Im ok with OB in the woods because 80% of scramble shots are impossible to gauge as a viewer.

Also you are really punished for not hitting your line, which without OB players get away with it way too much.
Hitting a fairway tree(s) is enough of a punishment because it removes a realistic chance to score (birdie) on a par 3 without a hero throw-in where they deserve the bird if it occurs. No OB needed. If not having players thrash around in the woods is the goal, give players the option to throw again counting the errant throw (not penalty) in their score, i.e., apply the Abandoned Throw rule but without penalty (needs waiver).

Many (most) players take forever setting up for their scramble shots. It kills the pace of play. I also like the use of drop zones. Picking up the pace of play should be encouraged as much as possible-makes the game more fun to play and watch.

Hitting a fairway tree(s) is enough of a punishment because it removes a realistic chance to score (birdie) on a par 3 without a hero throw-in where they deserve the bird if it occurs. No OB needed. If not having players thrash around in the woods is the goal, give players the option to throw again counting the errant throw (not penalty) in their score, i.e., apply the Abandoned Throw rule but without penalty (needs waiver).
I am wondering if club and ball golf course did not want people going in woods and bending trees around and similar hitting. I could see club and ball golfers might have similar rules for being out of bounds in this section of course.

I agree that many people either don't see them or don't understand them. Better maps for this sport relies on better map literacy. I showed some of these to a few pros at The Preserve last year and they really liked them and thought they would be useful to have during practice rounds.
With so many of the Pro players being of an age where they never had to learn how read a map and have only ever used a GPS/phone device for a map telling person where to go or at best only know how to read non-topographical map if these players have at least used a basic disc golf sign map is the issue for why more players do not find maps like this useful.

I am wondering if club and ball golf course did not want people going in woods and bending trees around and similar hitting. I could see club and ball golfers might have similar rules for being out of bounds in this section of course.
It's rare to have a marked OB area (stroke and distance penalty) inside the play area of a ball golf course. Note that they don't mark the area beyond the spectator ropes OB. It's inbounds along with landing in other fairways. The player can always take unplayable lie penalty relief versus hacking out of a thicket. However, a well-designed ball golf course usually doesn't have thick, unplayable woods between fairways.

Many (most) players take forever setting up for their scramble shots. It kills the pace of play. I also like the use of drop zones. Picking up the pace of play should be encouraged as much as possible-makes the game more fun to play and watch.
Other players calling out the throwing players on their card on time limit of (I forget 30 or 45 seconds) on shot needs to happen more once player is in position to throw.

Other players calling out the throwing players on their card on time limit of (I forget 30 or 45 seconds) on shot needs to happen more once player is in position to throw.
I don't think this will ever happen. Players are too busy worrying about their own situation to be dealing with this. Plus they don't want to cause a rift with other players.
It will require pdga officials out on the course, following slower players to make time violation calls.
I think if players start to get warned and penalized then things will start to speed up with the biggest violators.

With so many of the Pro players being of an age where they never had to learn how read a map and have only ever used a GPS/phone device for a map telling person where to go or at best only know how to read non-topographical map if these players have at least used a basic disc golf sign map is the issue for why more players do not find maps like this useful.
I have been told by a surprising number of people that I am 'making up' the elevation profiles and contour lines just to decorate the map. They have no idea this technology even exists. My favorite interaction was this response from Seth Fendley who at the time was the marketing director for DGPT. I was trying to point out that elevation levels were incorrect at the match play event in Baily, CO in 2022. I had to post on Facebook because they don't respond to emails. (to help put this into context, LIDAR derived elevation data has a vertical accuracy of about 10 centimeters - 4 inches)

Attachments

• baily_fb_response_annotated.png
    baily_fb_response_annotated.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 3
I have been told by a surprising number of people that I am 'making up' the elevation profiles and contour lines just to decorate the map. They have no idea this technology even exists. My favorite interaction was this response from Seth Fendley who at the time was the marketing director for DGPT. I was trying to point out that elevation levels were incorrect at the match play event in Baily, CO in 2022. I had to post on Facebook because they don't respond to emails. (to help put this into context, LIDAR derived elevation data has a vertical accuracy of about 10 centimeters - 4 inches)
When you're a sponsor, they'll use your data.

Dollars>Accuracy

I don't think this will ever happen. Players are too busy worrying about their own situation to be dealing with this. Plus they don't want to cause a rift with other players.
It will require pdga officials out on the course, following slower players to make time violation calls.
I think if players start to get warned and penalized then things will start to speed up with the biggest violators.
Yes, we need PDGA or rather Pro tour officials on course following those who are slower/lead-chase cards, or at least a person on each hole who is responsible for enforcing said hole.

Cedar Creek in Fairmont, MN? I made the hole maps for East, West and Central. The tee signs were designed by Justin Boehne.
i never look at the signs on east and west anymoar but once central was installed i had to look a few times and then they stuck out in my mind as some of the best signs ive seen

keep it up youre far ahead of the curve

This was a great tournament to watch ... especially the final round of MPO. I might go back and watch the Jomez version of the final round to see if it captured the excitement of the live broadcast since most of the action was on the chase card and even the 3rd card with Klein (until Anttila's huge putts on 17 and 18). I think the course designers did a good job with this layout.
*that approach shot on #18 by Vinnie after his drive went OB was just plain silly. He had to execute it in the mud wearing sneakers. That guy does things no one else can.

Might want to ask Seth why they aren't using the Bushnell elevation data then. So far, I haven't seen much of Bushnell in the advertising/sponsorship arena this year. Wasn't Uli one of their spokespersons?

Might want to ask Seth why they aren't using the Bushnell elevation data then. So far, I haven't seen much of Bushnell in the advertising/sponsorship arena this year. Wasn't Uli one of their spokespersons?
In this case the Bushnell elevation data was the problem and of course the marketing guy defended the sponsor. Also you saw the part about not answering emails. They circle the wagons and take on a 'smartest guys in the room' attitude.

In this case the Bushnell elevation data was the problem and of course the marketing guy defended the sponsor. Also you saw the part about not answering emails. They circle the wagons and take on a 'smartest guys in the room' attitude.
Of course, "operator error" using the Bushnell for elev readings would never produce any errors...

I agree that many people either don't see them or don't understand them. Better maps for this sport relies on better map literacy. I showed some of these to a few pros at The Preserve last year and they really liked them and thought they would be useful to have during practice rounds.
Image in post #66b is awesome!

FWIW - I think it's easier to read/more intuitive to understand, than if you used traditional topo/contour lines.

Latest posts