• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Versatile Fairway Pairings

El-Kabong said:
From an interview with Tomas Ekström by El-Kabong

L64L: Can you share any news on any future products/discs/bags etc...???
TE - Next up on the disc agenda is a new putter and more fairway drivers. We have a big gap in the line-up in the rim width 1.6-2.2cm,
that is something we must close. I´ve had a new bag on the drawing board for over a year now and hopefully will it be ready next spring.

Can't wait for new fairways, I currently have a River/Striker combo but the striker isn't really a fairway driver. I keep a 171 Opto River, 175 GL river and will be adding a 165 GL at some point.

i used the teebird/leopard combo for a while and am going to give the jls triple threat a shot this winter. millennium jls for turnover duties, a sirius jls for straight shots, and i've got a beefier candy qj that flies very teebirdesque.

Currently I use a River/S-PD combo. The PD isn't really a fairway driver, but mine is stable enough that I can power it down for less distance and it isn't really affected by weather conditions. So I don't really have a need for an OS fairway driver. If the wind gets bad, I use my XXX.

11x teebird
Pb leos
Champ viper
I like this combo. I just picked up a champ cobra too, I'm going to throw it in the mix as well.

It all depends on my mood/ the weather. Generally I carry 2 rivers ( 176 domey for stability and a 169 flatter for understablity. I also will carry a fresh champ eagle for that fade.

surprised with all the River love, I like to see it.

Me too, makes me want to pull mine out and play with them. Then again, the FD will be in my hands soon and that might trump all.

I've been using a champ Teebird and DX Gazelle for my fairway duties. A 2nd stage P PD works great as a fairway driver too. Depending on conditions a max weight Z Buzzz is used for a lot in my arsenal as well.

My cluster of fairway drivers.
Banshee/Eagle L
Whippet/ Gazelle/Leopard

I guess it depends on what the fairway looks like and length of the shot. Tunnels...tight gaps etc.

I throw both forehand and backhand and alot of time I just use a roc for fairway drives back hand when it's under 275 ft. Better control.

I mostly use Predators in diffrent stages of wear eventhough it´s not really a fairway it covers most shots i need BH/FH and the rest is mostly done with a Buzzz.

i'm the only one that throws this

striker, roadrunner. but i actually throw the buzzz now instead of the striker. i believe the buzzz can go almost as far and is more predictable. so buzzz roadrunner is what i throw mostly.

This is quite an old thread and quite a lot has changed since then manufacturers wise. God knows my bag went through a zillion itterations but in the end I landed right where I was in 2011...a handful of DX Eagle-X's with a Champ EX for OS duties.

I used to be a Teebird/Leopard guy. Patriots kicked the Leopards out. Same rim, feel and speed as Teebird (which is faster, flatter) but more reliable than Leopards. Not as nose sensitive, needs less room to work (Leopards typically S more) and more consistent in flight characteristics.

I just happened to have a Star Teebird and ESP XL in my bag on the course last week. Decent pairing, methinks. Also have a Firebird and Predator, but I'm not sure I count them as fairways.

Personally I like one for FH and one for BH. My go to for the first 2 years I played was Firebird/Teebird but I've been going Firebird/Stag for the last 2 years with great results. I guess the Eagle L is very similar to that as well.

The Teebird/Banshee is one I've seen often, and a few old shool dudes still rock the Leopard/Viper combo.

Spark/Saint I could see being a winner or St.pro/ st. If you don't have a big arm.

Stag/Longbowman and PD/FD are some I've seen recently as well.

Its seems pretty standard two have a pair of FW Drivers with similar speed and complimenting stability (one stable/slightly OS/workable and one that turns/understable).

One of the more common pairing I have noticed is TB and Leopard. What other 2 disc FW pairings do you see working together nicely (with similar speed and possibly feeling in hand)?

Remember, this isn't just a 'what do you throw' thread - I'm curious about pairings.

OP here, these days I go Resistor and a couple Volts (one OS, one beat)

Latest posts