• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] 1983 Kitty Hawk Driver Player Disc

Thats an awesome disc golf present! Those things are kinda rare and highly collectible. This is the only one in my collection:

picture.php

The Kitty Hawk is why Innova rules disc golf and not DGA. When it became clear that Wham-O was stepping out and the door was open for somebody to make the next Midnight Flyer, DGA came up with a lid-type Frisbee copy. Innova came out with the Aero. Game over.

The Kitty Hawk is why Innova rules disc golf and not DGA. When it became clear that Wham-O was stepping out and the door was open for somebody to make the next Midnight Flyer, DGA came up with a lid-type Frisbee copy. Innova came out with the Eagle. Game over.

FTFY

Eh, I was going to put Eagle/Aero but I thought it was TMI for the point I was trying to make.

Sorry, indeed TMI for most people, but I carry an Eagle in my bag for those times I need that certain fade shot. One owner disc.

Seemed appropriate to necro bump this thread.
McBeth played a round with nothing but 3 DGA Kitty Hawks, and shot the lights out with them. Then he sent them to Simon to see what he could do.
The roller was nasty, yelling "go in" at a roller isn't even on my radar, I'm happy if it just rolls anywhere remotely close to a forward direction…

I was hoping he'd send those to Simon. Gonna have to watch that one when I get home. Would love to see Ezra or maybe Ricky get a go next

Just reading about discs. The Kitty Hawk discs were CLEARLY made specifically for Disc Golf. YET... our buds at INNOVA claim that the Eagle was the FIRST disc specifically made for GOLF. NOT SO. The PDGA website says the Kitty Hawk came out in 1982... and the Eagle a year later. LAME MOVE by Innova. (DGA vs. PDGA.. yeah I know)

Just reading about discs. The Kitty Hawk discs were CLEARLY made specifically for Disc Golf. YET... our buds at INNOVA claim that the Eagle was the FIRST disc specifically made for GOLF. NOT SO. The PDGA website says the Kitty Hawk came out in 1982... and the Eagle a year later. LAME MOVE by Innova. (DGA vs. PDGA.. yeah I know)

You made an account and posted just for this?! The Eagle was the first modern beveled edge disc (distance driver). The Kitty Hawk is still your typical putter shape. So in that sense, yes, Innova did release the first "golf" disc. The Eagle is still as relevant today as it was in 1983. I bag several of the. The Kitty Hawk, not so much.

Threeputt needs to fact check me here but I think the first Eagle and the current iteration are two different molds. The current Eagle was the first beveled edge disc (I think?) but it didn't come along until well after 1983

The Eagle is still as relevant today as it was in 1983. I bag several of the. The Kitty Hawk, not so much.

The original Eagle is most comparable to the Aero, of which I have seen zero in the wild over the last decade. Modern Aeros have been tweaked from the original Aero mold to be more stable, and the original Aero mold was tweaked from the original Eagle mold. I am willing to bet the eagles in your bag is not what we are talking about.

Aero's are a rare sight. When I threw other brands, I did throw the Aero. Such a great point & shoot disc.
The only other time I encountered an Aero was at 2015 AM Worlds in K'zoo. My play in the tournament wasn't good enough to make the final four round, so I volunteered to spot on my league course - Spinski's. At one point during the round I spy with my eye a shape of disc familiar to me. I walk over & check it out. An old school CE Aero. Had to chat with the thrower & he showed me that he was carrying several Aero's. Probably very valuable bag that dude was hauling around.

I used to use an Aero as my main putter. Then I ordered three more to use as backups and for practice. The three new discs were of a larger diameter and didn't fly much like the Aero I already had. No idea if I had examples from before and after they tweaked the mold or if some discs got miss-stamped. I switched putters not too long after that.

As far as the Eagle/Aero being the first beveled edge disc and therefore the first golf disc, I buy that. Outside of lid-like putters (birde, polecat, etc.), all putters have a beveled edge. It's not as pronounced as it is on higher speed discs, but it's there. FWIW, both examples of the Aero that I had clearly had a beveled edge. There were plenty of beveled edge discs that came out before the current Eagle.

Latest posts